Calorie counting

Options
I started keto at 300 and am now at 278. I did this without counting calories. I started counting calories 2 days ago. Should I be? I'm not sure if keto and calorie counting goes hand in hand or if I'm over doing it... ?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. If you are losing weight at a satisfactory rate without counting, go for it. At the point you stop losing (for a month or so) track your calories to determine how many you are eating and reduce it. Hopefully you are eating enough to nourish your body for the long term. I've seen some crazy low calorie amounts over the years and it usually comes back to haunt people. Not always, but often.

I've been tracking calories for 4 years for loss and maintenance. It is just what I do and it is effective for me. I take breaks occasionally and am not super detailed at this time. Still maintaining at goal.

Years ago there was no such thing as tracking calories. Most people just knew that eating too much is how they became overweight so they decided to eat less...and it worked. My Dad was a paraplegic his last 20 years of life and was rarely (if ever) weighed but could see and tell he had gained so he'd just cut back on what he ate and he'd lose his excess. Every time.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm aware of how many calories I consume but my focus is more on the grams of carbs consumed. If MFP shows I'm "over" calories for the day but I'm still hungry I'll eat. But what I eat is low carb high protein. Counting is a part of my way of eating but it doesn't strictly define.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started keto at 300 and am now at 278. I did this without counting calories. I started counting calories 2 days ago. Should I be? I'm not sure if keto and calorie counting goes hand in hand or if I'm over doing it... ?

Well that entirely depends on "what" you're trying to accomplish. We each have our own reasons for being here; although a lot are similar, they're not all the same.

If you're trying to lose weight, tracking would be extremely beneficial. Keto (and a lot of the foods) tends to be satiating, and some of the simpler plans call for "listening to your body". While that may work for some, and work for a while.... that's typically how a lot of us ended up overweight in the first place!

One of the reasons I've always like keto was that it DID tend to keep my hunger in check, despite eating at a deficit. So if dropping weight is your goal, then eating at a moderate deficit (accomplished through tracking) is something you'd probably want to start doing.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories BUT I DO keep an eye on them (heh).
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I track calories and have a goal there. Attending to the macros does the same thing effectively, but some people are the "belt & suspenders" people. You figure out what you have to do to make it all work.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I track mine, and I weigh many things (like cheese) when I have trouble telling how much to log. I don't, however weigh things like eggs. I log an egg and don't care if it's off 10 calories one way or another.
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Up to you! I lost my first 40 lbs or so with just loosely counting carbs in my head. Eventually I started counting calories, helps me feel more in control. I don't see myself counting calories forever but for now it works for me. I also recommend purchasing a good scale, makes a huge difference!
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Food scale*
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

If your losing, I wouldn't bother. You can out-eat the benefits of keto though if you eat enough so if your not losing and doing keto (or any other method), I would count.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 22kg so far!

Personally, I tracked my food accurately (weighing everything) from the start, but only concerned myself with keeping my net carbs low enough and my protein and sodium high enough (I actually struggled more with keeping these high enough than restricting my carbs!).

If you are losing weight just by restricting carbs, and don't WANT to also restrict calories then don't. If you are losing consistently then I would suggest concentrating on making sure your logging is on point and reserve the calorie restriction as a back up plan for when/if you stop losing weight just by restricting carbs.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Counting calories seems to be like religion, politics, carbs, and fiber. After a while, most people seem to be pulled into one camp or the other, while a few remain uncommitted. (And don't bring it up around the in-laws! :s)

To me, it seems like another piece of information that might be useful. Calories are notoriously hard to count reliably, due to estimating errors, inaccurate labels, etc., but it's the only game in town.
  • blambo61
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Counting calories seems to be like religion, politics, carbs, and fiber. After a while, most people seem to be pulled into one camp or the other, while a few remain uncommitted. (And don't bring it up around the in-laws! :s)

To me, it seems like another piece of information that might be useful. Calories are notoriously hard to count reliably, due to estimating errors, inaccurate labels, etc., but it's the only game in town.

The scale is king right! If it is going down, why count?
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I count sporadically. I find counting calories every so often helps with some of the creep that naturally happens to me. Over a month or two I'll find that I'm all of a sudden grabbing 2 servings of shredded cheese out of the bag instead of 1, and I'm no more hungry once I tighten that stuff back up. Cheese and nuts are my two biggest culprits for this.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 22kg so far!

Personally, I tracked my food accurately (weighing everything) from the start, but only concerned myself with keeping my net carbs low enough and my protein and sodium high enough (I actually struggled more with keeping these high enough than restricting my carbs!).

If you are losing weight just by restricting carbs, and don't WANT to also restrict calories then don't. If you are losing consistently then I would suggest concentrating on making sure your logging is on point and reserve the calorie restriction as a back up plan for when/if you stop losing weight just by restricting carbs.

Thank you
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

2 reasons

1. We're not, hopefully, always going to be in weight-loss mode.

2, The scale is not king and belongs in a dumpster.

As Butter Bob says, it:s a lyin', cheatin', SOB, not your friend.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1l0415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways
  • blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options

2 reasons

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1l0415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways

As far as weight loss goes (not talking about controlling blood sugar), the scale is the last ultimate authority (I guess something that tells you %bf and weight is really the last ultimate authority). Doesn't matter what else calorie counting or any other protocol says if the scale says your gaining weight. If your in maintenance mode, the scale also can tell you if your maintaining or not.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

2 reasons

As far as weight loss goes (not talking about controlling blood sugar), the scale is the last ultimate authority (I guess something that tells you %bf and weight is really the last ultimate authority). Doesn't matter what else calorie counting or any other protocol says if the scale says your gaining weight. If your in maintenance mode, the scale also can tell you if your maintaining or not.

I still disagree that the scale is the "last ultimate authority." The scale is a liar and can't really be trusted on its own.

Consider this -- the scale says I've been slowly gaining weight (outside of water weight fluctuations), but my tape measure and clothes say I've been losing. Which one is the ultimate authority?

The answer: neither, and both. They are data points, and only when you use them both together do you see that your body is undergoing recomposition.

If the scale were the only measurement, you'd only see that weight is going up and you'd think that you're gaining fat (because very few people look at changes in the scale and think anything else as the cause of the gain).