Gross TMI Keto question

Options
hkann76
hkann76 Posts: 12 Member
This is a super gross question but I'm kind of freaked so I'm biting the bullet and asking. I've been eating Keto for 2 weeks now. Staying under 20 total grams of carbs daily. I've read a lot of people on Keto have constipation problems. I'm on the other end. When I do have to go its always soft and green. Is this normal? I think it's the color that is worrying me the most. Dark Green, every time. Sorry it's such a gross question.

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any artificial colors? Blues and purples will often cause green stool.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Higher volume of leafy greens and other green foods such as broccoli, spinach, collards. A google search indicates the color of foods can have an effect on stool color. Red beets as a good example will turn stool color darker and even somewhat red.

Also supplements can alter the color of your stool.
  • hkann76
    Options
    The only veggies I really eat are lettuce and asparagus and that isn't very often. I don't eat anything with artificial colors in it. I do take a lot of vitamins. Magnesium, Potasium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Iron.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    There is a sub-forum on here for strict carnivores. It's a type of LCHF/Keto eating that many go for, and are successful with, and more power to them. Proteins in the form of all and any meat they love, plus a smattering of dairy and eggs.
    I tried it.
    I got the same kind of.. *ahem!* .. 'results' you have.
    I had to up and vary my veg intake, because my Large intestine discharge - oh, ok.

Poo.

Was very, very runny. Liquid,.

There. I said it.

Lettuce and asparagus don't really cut it.

I had to include fibrous vegetables like green leafy cabbage, courgettes with the core removed, carrots, cored, and onions.

Try adding some harder veg.
    I realise you're low-carb. I am too. But if you can increase your fibre and variety of veg, to decent proportions, I think you'll do better.....
  • kpk54
    Options
    My vote goes to new vitamins and likely the iron. And as one website indicated, the iron combined with the perhaps "rapid transit" through your system. While Dr. Google has many answers, they may not always be correct. Unless it is prescribed for a medical reason, experiment by eliminating the vitamins one at a time for a few days or a week and take note of the change.

There are many magnesium users on keto and magnesium is known to cause loose stools. Especially the most commonly found- magnesium OXIDE. Frequently heard is: take magnesium for night leg cramps and preferably any magnesium EXCEPT magnesium oxide.

I'm just repeating what I read. I don't currently take supplements. I did take magnesium glycinate for leg cramps but 100 mg. was sufficient and I no longer experience a need for it.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Check yr supplements if u r taking any. I have issues if I take too much magnesium or Potassium. Ditto for protein drinks. Good luck.
  • hkann76
    Options
    Thank you all. I never thought about my vitamins. Maybe I'll take a break from those for a few days and see if it helps.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Just a suggestion but if you decide to drop them ALL temporarily: when you decide to add them back in, do so one at a time and give each a week or so before adding another. If you add them in all at once and have a problem, you'll not know which 1 might be causing the issue.
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Are your BMs totally different from what is normal for you? If yes, when did they start? Can you correlate what you are eating (and/or drinking) to the time they began. Are you having too much dairy? Are you consuming enough fats, proteins? You might want to consider tweaking what you are eating and drinking to see if that helps as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    hkann76 wrote: »
    This is a super gross question but I'm kind of freaked so I'm biting the bullet and asking. I've been eating Keto for 2 weeks now. Staying under 20 total grams of carbs daily. I've read a lot of people on Keto have constipation problems. I'm on the other end. When I do have to go its always soft and green. Is this normal? I think it's the color that is worrying me the most. Dark Green, every time. Sorry it's such a gross question.

@hkann76 it took me about six months for my decades of IBS to fully resolve. We all start with different levels of health so in can be different from person to person. I just stuck with keto and in time the ship leveled out.

Three years in I have zero regrets and awesome health improvements.

Best of succuss.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree iron pills do give the dark green dodooo's.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My vote goes to new vitamins and likely the iron. And as one website indicated, the iron combined with the perhaps "rapid transit" through your system. While Dr. Google has many answers, they may not always be correct. Unless it is prescribed for a medical reason, experiment by eliminating the vitamins one at a time for a few days or a week and take note of the change.

There are many magnesium users on keto and magnesium is known to cause loose stools. Especially the most commonly found- magnesium OXIDE. Frequently heard is: take magnesium for night leg cramps and preferably any magnesium EXCEPT magnesium oxide.

I'm just repeating what I read. I don't currently take supplements. I did take magnesium glycinate for leg cramps but 100 mg. was sufficient and I no longer experience a need for it.

• hkann76
    Options
    I didn't take anything yesterday and things have returned to normal already. Today I took all of my vitamins except the magnesium and iron and things are smooth going. Thanks for all of your advice!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten how much this was a problem when I went keto. As I look back on it I think it was a gut biom problem. I realized that the more quality probiotics and prebiotic foods I consumed the better things got. Today I’m eat fermented foods at almost every meal, make my own Kim chi and yogurt etc. good luck.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    Handy Dandy Poop Chart at your service :)

pqssar8v0ywt.jpg

Now I know why I log in at breakfast time. :)

Actually this is AWESOME stuff.

I often want to tell people to keep the faith after going LCHF. In 6 months my IBS like condition of 30 years left and has not returned in the past 2.5 years.

It may take 10 years for all of the LCHF benefits to show up for people that was quickly approaching death when the LCHF light bulb finally turned on.