Time off

Options
We are currently on vacation in the Canary Islands, weather is amazing and the complex is adults only all inclusive. I am a strong advocate of Drs Fung and Berg and my UK routine follows loosely their principles, lunch at 12.00, dinner at 6 pm, ome medium carb meal and one low carb meal with no snacks. This week I am forgetting about this, the food is amazing here, paellas, cheeses out of this world but strangely enough I am looking forward to go back to my two meals a day routine next week. I am not doing the guilt thing and thoroughly enjoying it all, drinks included. Like Dr Fung says there will always be xmas, birthdays, holidays and there is plenty of time outside of these events to be diet/food savvy.

Replies

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    Our recent trip to Southern Italy turned into a 10-day carb-fest - but we put on surprisingly little weight during the process, and it came off really easily once back home, UK bound.

Surprisingly to me, my hubby who was diabetic and absolutely loved his sweet treats, cakes, doughnuts, pizzas and all, was the one who looked most forward to coming home and getting back to normal!

Just goes to show - when you find something that works, dealing with something that doesn't - isn't half as much fun as it used to be!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I agree but slightly conditional.... I have found that if I have been really good at very low carbs for a week or two, then give in one day and eat something high carb (i.e. a donut or piece of cake with icing), I get horrid stomach cramps and it can just go right through me. Not something you really want for your vacation! So I would indulge but in "moderation" somewhat. A complete change from your normal routine might not be the best way to continue enjoying your holiday!
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am the same, life is too short to deny yourself the pleasure of good foods...and i'm fortunate not to have any aversions/allergies etc to worry about.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful time. You're right, this is a way of living. Live life!
  • bibbob300
    bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too have been in the Canary Islands for the last 2 weeks, I argue with myself every time I have a holiday, stay keto or carb up, unfortunately carbs win as the amount of good food and alcoholic cocktails are worth the weight gain, although this time I got bored of the sugary cocktails after a couple of days so stuck to wine, but I did gain half a stone but I don't stress as I know it will come off again once I'm back in the UK, my rule is once your plane lands in your home country, no exceptions, back to keto, even though I enjoy my "carb fest" I also look forward to my keto meals and getting rid of my bloated stomach!

• Jobeth1961
    Jobeth1961 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm currently sat enjoying Tenerife too but sticking to my keto including no snacks or alcohol (1st time in Tenerife for this!) as before starting I was really not feeling well & I can't face the keto flu again. I am loving the fresh fish, steak, vegetables, nuts & avocados etc but as I am only in week 3 my motivation is high and we have the benefit of self catering. I do wonder how I will cope with changes, do you get the carb addiction back as soon as you indulge, like an alcoholic one is the slippery slope?
  • bibbob300
    bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @Jobeth1961 good for you, Tenerife is hard to do sober, too much cheap plonk around lol.
    But as your only in week 3 it's not worth coming off keto especially if you find it hard to get back on flu etc although, 400g of magnesium a day and plenty of salt should stop any flu like symptoms.
    I'm at maintenance so can afford the carb splurge once in a while, although to answer your question, yes I personally find carbs a slippery slope, I'm ok with moderating the first few days, bit of bread, few chips but by day 4 I wake up with an increased appetite, by day 6 its half a French stick and a full portion of chips!!!
    I know what to expect now though and pay for it by a bloated stomach, this is the pay off I consider worth it, others may not agree depending on whereabouts in your journey your on.
    Have a great time !
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If you are fat adapted, it is easier to get back on track.

I just find I don't enjoy the carby treats that much anymore. I like how I feel eating on plan. I do have an extra glass of wine from time to time or a keto mule cocktail or two. That doesn't seem to cause me any issues. Reached maintenance end of April, staying slightly under my goal weight even with a slip up or two.