Keto and Whiskey

Options
jldhaney
jldhaney Posts: 13 Member
So, I drank a few drinks last night that are not keto approved but I still counted the carbs and managed to stay under my daily goal. Will this still cause me a big stall? If it does I know from a past experience it took several days to see the scale move again. Thoughts? Other people's experiences?

Replies

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I find alcoholic beverages even w/in carb allowances slow my weight loss. I don't gain weight that week but I don't lose weight either. This is usually after a camping or cottage weekend where I have 3-5 drinks two nights running. I do not find one or two glasses (5 ounce glasses) of red wine over the course of a week affects my weight loss though.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    The body will process alcohol first, it slows your fat burning down. Ok for special occasions but not so great for losing weight day to day.
  • jldhaney
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'm always looking to learn more!
  • zimmerem
    zimmerem Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whiskey, diet ginger ale and lemon juice has become my drink since starting keto. But if I have more than one or two I find that I'm down in weight the next day because of the diuretic effect but then gain weight from storing water for the next few days. Then it takes another couple days of increased water intake to get rid of it all. It pretty much makes my whole week a wash. I find I just have to be mentally prepared for the fluctuation and if I'm not, then I abstain. Lol
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    zimmerem wrote: »
    Whiskey, diet ginger ale and lemon juice has become my drink since starting keto. But if I have more than one or two I find that I'm down in weight the next day because of the diuretic effect but then gain weight from storing water for the next few days. Then it takes another couple days of increased water intake to get rid of it all. It pretty much makes my whole week a wash. I find I just have to be mentally prepared for the fluctuation and if I'm not, then I abstain. Lol

Wow, I could not have said it better. This is EXACTLY what happens to me. I drank Saturday night (vodka yum) and was down 3 pounds Sunday morning WOOHOO!!! then this morning I was back up to where I was Saturday morning plus a few ounces lol.
  • jldhaney
    Options
    I think plain whiskey might have been better but I had Crown Regal Apple and I'm assuming it has more sugar. I made sure to drink plenty of water the days following and didn't feel bad.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and ketosis do not go together.

To be in ketosis you must make fantastic decisions about food choices, the foods will most likely be fresh, natural, very little processing and therefore lower in toxins.
    Why ? Why on earth ?
    Would you
    POISON yourself with alcohol?

Adds toxins, affects digestion, affects muscles, affects mental health.

Alcohol only makes people feel better because it numbs the brain.

Rant over
    :-)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is a poison too...not gonna stop me from eating it because it's DELICIOUS, just like wine and whiskey and beer...there are a lot of things we eat that are technically poison...mango...lima beans...kidney beans...nutmeg...the dose makes it poison...if you don't go bat crap crazy on it, you probably aren't going to die.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Not keto specific but has good info on alcohol as it relates to fat loss:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    From my erase history keto and alcohol are a very bad combination. Marks Daily Apple had a podcast of a blog on this with the host El Russ discussing the mechanics of this. Good luck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Found a new drink today and I like it - though if you are into sweet stuff you will probably not be a fan.

Truly Spiked & Sparkling - I'm having the Colima Lime flavor

5% alcohol, 2g carbs (1g sugar, 1 g fiber) 100 calories - 12oz glass bottles

I like it, but I like sparkling water, so not a shocker that I would like alcoholic sparkling water.

We have a lake party tomorrow, so I wanted something easy and portable, this fits and is tasty, so figured I would share the discovery!
  • jldhaney
    Options
    I enjoy wine. I enjoy whiskey. I enjoy beer. Every day? No. Once a week? No. Once in a while? Absolutely! Still very new to all things Keto and will continue to ask questions. Thanks for the responses.