Gaining weight daily

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Since I started back on keto approx. 6 weeks ago I have been gaining weight steadily. As of this morning I'm up 11 lbs. 4 of those in the last week. My net carbs are under 20, I meet my protein numbers & fat is the only one that may be a bit lower than the goal, but even that is at a reasonable level. I started testing my blood ketones in the last week and the highest reading I got was 0.5 (3 days ago) and yesterday was back to 0.2. I'm so discouraged. I've lowered my artificial sweetener intake to next to nothing and have cut out nuts to see if that could be an issue. Any help would be great.

Ps I'm almost 51 have pcos and my macros are set to 75f/20p/5c

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Maybe open your diary to public so we can take a look at your meal plans? That might help someone find the culprit. For me, too much dairy or sweeteners cause stalls, as well as not eating enough. Unless you're eating an incredible excess, that 11 lbs is just water. Could there be something you're eating with hidden grains or sugars? Are you exercising?
  • cwilliams559
    cwilliams559 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just watched this video from Dr Berg on some things that can kick you out of ketosis. It was pretty surprising. By the way, how many calories per day are you getting in? https://youtu.be/mLzORHS-OzE

• kristafb
    Options
    @River_Goddess I have my diary set to public, can you not see it? I've cut back my sweeteners a lot but I do like my dairy. I'm starting to cut that back now, used coconut milk (can stuff) in my coffee today instead of my usual heavy cream. Cheese will be hard. lol I'm eating approx. 1300-1500 calories a day some days. very rarely do I go over that. I had gotten lazy about tracking for a bit but the last week I've tracked every bite. I'm not exercising other than walking my dogs 30-45 mins a day. I drink a lot of water (usually 10-12 cups a day).

@cwilliams559 I actually watched that the other day. I have been a bit stressed to be honest, I work as a 911 operator/police dispatcher in a fairly busy city and on top of that I haven't been sleeping well. I'm starting to wonder if its an issue with cortisol or something similar going on. I feel like I have all the symptoms of being in ketosis, taste in mouth, not hungry a lot, energy, clear headed etc but when I test I'm not there. Its bizarre.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would lower fat and increase protein.

You can gain bodyfat on keto and it's easy to do if you're adding fat to a lot of things. The macros you mention are more in line with a medically therapeutic keto diet. Not a weight loss one.

c6g7j3o7ve1o.jpg
  • kristafb
    Options

You can gain bodyfat on keto and it's easy to do if you're adding fat to a lot of things. The macros you mention are more in line with a medically therapeutic keto diet. Not a weight loss one.

c6g7j3o7ve1o.jpg

Should I raise the protein even though I'm not working out? Due to a knee injury I'm pretty sedentary.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »

c6g7j3o7ve1o.jpg

Should I raise the protein even though I'm not working out? Due to a knee injury I'm pretty sedentary.

I don't actually know what your protein goal is at in grams but with 75/20/5 macro split I'd say you can eat more. It will allow you to reduce fat a bit. By eating more protein and a bit less fat, you can eat more food at the same calories. Protein is only 4 calories per gram to fats 9 calories per gram. If you're adding butter, coconut oil or using hwc, you could easily reduce calories by eliminating added fats. Cook with them, but don't add more on your plate.
    I use half n half in coffee instead of hwc because it's an easy way to reduce total intake and I still get a creamy coffee.

Your protein goal is a minimum to reach. Not a maximum. You don't specifically need higher protein but it's an easy way to stay satisfied while eating at a deficit.

Adding extra fat on the plate is more of a weight maintenance or gain method.
  • kristafb
    Options
    @Sunny_bunny_ My protein in grams is 75. Thanks for the advise I'll give anything a try at this point.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember to give any changes a full 4-6 weeks to see the true results of whether they are working or not...
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight on a keto diet 3 years ago, everytime I added nuts into my meal plan my weight loss stalled.
    Also, if you are measuring your quantities, switch to weighing them instead. And make sure you enter food into your log before you eat it because it's easy to forget something after it's gone.
    As far as your protein intake, that really depends on your lean body mass, your weight, activity level and goals. I would rather have a bit too much protein because the last thing you want to do when dieting is lose muscle.
    This is very informative:
    https://completehumanperformance.com/dieting-protein-needs/
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    All of you gave great facts. One more fact.
    I gain weight just before I lose a lot of weight.

But I had edema (not fat gain) last week and consumed 90 ml (5.5 tablespoons) of castor oil with the juice of half a grapefruit. My therapist told me to take 7 tablespoons of Castor Oil for water weight.
    I went poo off and on for about 12 hours.
    It works for me.

One question to you....
    Do you have anybody (besides us on the message boards) helping you?

Many will say that they did not need any help, and therefore neither do you.
    If a person has results, then they don't need help.

I live near los angeles so I am close enough to see Xxxx who is an expert in leech therapy, magnets, ozone, essence of pine, and lots of other alternative methods. My med doc did not help me lose weight. My chiropractor was no help for weight. Did hyperbaric oxygen....Did fascia release...I kept trying one method after another until something finally started working. I am 50 pounds down from my heaviest weight.
    I tend to keep my calories under 1600 and carbs around 30 to 40.

I told you all of this so that you will not give up.
    Something will work for you.
    You just have not found "whatever it is" yet.