Mineral water

Options
Theeerica
Theeerica Posts: 45 Member
Has anyone found mineral water to be effective for balancing electrolytes?

Replies

• debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, didn't know if you could use just mineral water for balance. I use no salt for potassium, I get enough salt usually in a day for sodium or I drink a cup of bone broth (Wal Mart now has it), and I use liquid magnesium at night. That kept me pretty balanced during the keto process last month. I did look back at my diary pre-keto and found I still wasn't balanced on my electrolytes, so not sure why they have to be so balanced during keto. But I do know I suffer a lot more leg cramps during keto than I did before, and the addition of the ketoade (the no salt, Mio and ice) has significantly stopped those.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    There aren't enough minerals in the mineral waters you can buy most places to supplement for keto/LC because it definitely changes the flavour of the water, lol, and most people don't want salty water to drink. That's why the keto-ade recipes use a flavouring to sort of hide the saltiness of the water.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: no. You will find this out the hard way if you ignore the good advice you've received above and try to go without supplementing electrolytes like sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc. Just sayin'....(shrug) :|
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No, I drink it for the bubbles!
  • Theeerica
    Theeerica Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Yes I've read up on it, and have done all the research, was just curious if mineral water was an effective resource.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Unless it contains 500+ mg sodium per serving, it wouldn't be. That's why understanding the total need and how over consuming water without sufficient sodium would actually make things worse is important.