Question about Pills

Options
So I hear there is a pill or supplement you can take to put your body into ketosis. Anyone care to share opinions or knowledge about this? I'd be interested in if it actually works safely, and if it does, which products are the best.

I have eaten a low carb diet before and lost weight for two weeks and then it stopped working and I wimped out and ate carbs. I want to change my eating back to low carb but I'm trying to be smarter about it this time.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Unless, of course, you have loads of money to waste (...??!) on something that your body will create naturally and that YOU WANT your body to HAVE to create naturally!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @baconslave, a gem. ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah. What she said.
  • SerendipityFive
    SerendipityFive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My intention is to use ketosis to lose weight. I've lost 100lbs first using weight watchers for a little bit then switched to just mfp and increased my activity. I'm at the point where 1200 or less and running at least two miles a day AND and an aerobic strength training session is the only thing that makes the scale move (even then, it's not really moving much and two slices of pizza causes a five pound gain). From what I'm reading my metabolism is a bit wrecked from the big weight loss.

I'm hoping a low carb diet is going to change things for me, but not too quickly either because I know I'll hit that plateau with nothing left up my sleeves to "throw at it". This seems to be my main problem. I keep hitting that wall but I'm still obese and I have to get the weight off.

So for now, I'm just walking (which kills me, because i want to run) and slowly reducing carbs again. I don't really want a miracle pill, but I do want to know what options there are out there and I'm trying to gather all information.

Thank you all for your wisdom and input!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Even Dominik D'Agostino would tell you that exogenous ketone supplements do not promote fat loss as reflected in his response screen captured here and mentioned in this article.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/08/08/how-to-make-endogenous-ketones-at-home/
    hprzlyg8jdls.png
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    He'd be the 1st to tell you exogenous ketones don't promote fat loss. Oh! That's what he said up there. I often feel bad when he's being interviewed as he seems to get sucked into conversations regarding ketosis for fat loss/weight loss and that is so not why he does his research on ketosis/ketogenic diets.

@susanebeat, kudos on your 100 pound weight loss. I read through you profile. Someone is smiling down on your success. <3 As mentioned up thread, exogenous ketones are available but not the answer. If you're not doing so already, consider reading in the maintenance forum too. You're not far away! There are many who continue to lose while upping their calories as they try to determine their maintenance. Your collage pic is awesome!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is low. If you don't mind me asking @ susanebeat, how tall are you?
  • SerendipityFive
    SerendipityFive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet I'm 5'6". No, it isn't much and isn't anything I could keep up with. My hormone levels/metabolism are a bit off from the loss and I'm trying to get it straightened out now. It's probably not too bad, but I've got to figure out what I need to do to establish maintenance at a level I can work with. Because currently, it's a bit out of whack.

@kpk54 thanks!!

Feel free to friend and follow me on mfp, need all the insights I can get :-)