Hi just joined.

Options
honeydewmelan
honeydewmelan Posts: 10 Member
New to keto so still in the research stages at the moment. Also vegan.

Replies

• camillekg88
    camillekg88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this too! Today is my first day keto. I was vegan a couple of years ago. I hope you get some advice
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm really intrigued by this, so I decided to join. I've eaten LCHF on and off for many years, but that involved mainly meat. I've made the decision to go vegan for the first time in my life. If anyone else has been successful eating this way, I'd love to know how you do it. In the meantime, I'll plan on posting the foods that I eat, as well as where I'm at on the Keto scale (via strips) to determine if this is something doable. Anyway, happy to be here!
  • pinkpinkapple
    pinkpinkapple Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a woman with PCOS, doctors have always told me I won't be able to loose weight and decrease other symptoms without eating meat, but here is am doing vegan keto and proving them wrong! I love finding other people who follow this "crazy" WOE!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    As a woman with PCOS, doctors have always told me I won't be able to loose weight and decrease other symptoms without eating meat, but here is am doing vegan keto and proving them wrong! I love finding other people who follow this "crazy" WOE!

That's great, I'm finding that this WOE is working well with my blood-sugar numbers!

• MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. I have just started eating Keto and love it. I was 100 % Vegan up until a year ago (long boring story) but i would LOVE to see if its possible to eat Keto and be Vegan. I would appreciate any info
  • tumsashrinks
    tumsashrinks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. I have just started eating Keto and love it. I was 100 % Vegan up until a year ago (long boring story) but i would LOVE to see if its possible to eat Keto and be Vegan. I would appreciate any info

It's definitely possible, there's not a lot of good info out there, but I have found quite a few things that helped me to start vegan keto (I started to log my meals in the MFP food diary today). This reddit post sums up well what you can eat and should focus on. I plan to eat tons of leafy greens, celery, mushrooms, cucumbers, avocado combined with tempeh, tofu, soy beans and some nuts. I also used this calculator to figure out my macros.

I also tried to find a few staple recipes, I know I won't cook 3-4 different meals per day every day, so I tried to figure out what I can make quickly and eat when I am super busy, what are foods I absolutely love and what I probably won't eat so much (e.g., not a big fan of cauliflower or stevia). I used to start my mornings with oatmeal so I found a few noatmeal (a.k.a. keto porridge with no oats) recipes to try out because I know that come winter I will crave a warm porridge. Same goes for snacks - very popular one is celery with peanut butter, I am not a fan of that combo, so I am trying out pumpkin seed butter and almond butter. I would suggest doing the same with your favorite foods, e.g., if you like pancakes, try finding good keto recipe instead of forcing yourself to eat things you don't really like.

Maybe we need a recipe sharing thread here, I would love to know what others are cooking and eating. :)

• 150by60
    150by60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband has been advised by his doc to go vegan. I'm a LC eater and have recently been trying out a ketogenic diet. I'm looking for ways to meet both requirements.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    150by60 wrote: »
    My husband has been advised by his doc to go vegan. I'm a LC eater and have recently been trying out a ketogenic diet. I'm looking for ways to meet both requirements.

In addition to @tumsashrinks' ideas,....

There are a few FB groups. Try searching for "LCHF vegan".

There is one type of legume that's quite low carb - black soy beans, which are sold by Eden Foods. They imported this variety from Japan and have farmers who grow them. They're available cooked or dry. The net carbs are much lower than for any other legume I've seen.
  • faithfullogic
    faithfullogic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to find this group! I've been vegan almost a year now. Trying to find the best way to lose weight. I've been unsuccessful so far. I'm hoping this is the ticket.