Introductions!

Options
2»

Replies

• jmek926
    jmek926 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love that there is some tall women in this group! I'm 5'11 also, but I seem to be a much wider 5'11! :) HAHA! Getting down to 200 lbs is when I felt my healthiest and my goal. I've been told I have shoulders like a football player and hips that go on for miles. It's true, and after losing 18 lbs and getting in a much more positive head space about my body it's starting to become one of the things I love. We all have amazing unique bodies, and nothing is one size fits all. After almost 30 years on this planet, I am finally starting to learn that. Sometimes it's hard for me to relate to smaller women, even though my mom is tiny and we talk about our health and weight goals a lot. 5 lbs to her is a lot and to me it's chump change!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    jmek926 wrote: »
    I've been told I have shoulders like a football player and hips that go on for miles. It's true, and after losing 18 lbs and getting in a much more positive head space about my body it's starting to become one of the things I love. We all have amazing unique bodies, and nothing is one size fits all. After almost 30 years on this planet, I am finally starting to learn that. Sometimes it's hard for me to relate to smaller women, even though my mom is tiny and we talk about our health and weight goals a lot. 5 lbs to her is a lot and to me it's chump change!

I hear you loud & clear on a lot of this! Especially 5 lb on some people being a big deal while it's not on others. Good for you embracing your hips/shoulders and body in general. It's so true about all of us being unique! Besides, broad hips and shoulders can make many styles of clothing hang well and look especially great.

• BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Thanks for joining!! Did I mention already that I'm also tall? 5'10.
    Hi all. I'm 38, 39 in December. I'm basically on the fast train to 40. Toot Toot. I'm a Designer for a large midwest electric utility. I basically keep records of all the Transmission Lines in Ohio that the company owns. Sit down job, 8hrs a day. I've been with my BF for 5 years, and in April we adopted a princess of a chi/schnauzer mix, named Daisy. She's only 14lbs, but she's got enough personality for all of us. I'm an only child (luckily I have parents that don't feel like I disappointed them with the no grandkids thing) and my BF has 2 siblings with no kids.

Like BPRKEY, I never had a weight issue until I turned about 32. I'm 5'11 and have been since I was 12. My parents used to ask where I put all the food I ate because I never gained weight. Then the 30's hit and it's been all down hill from there.

In 2011 I decided that enough was enough and before I got to 200lbs, I need to do SOMETHING about the ever raising scale number. I started at 193, and in August of 2012 I was down to 143 (my lowest ever, just to say I lost 50lbs, lol, really was way too thin). Since then, I've been up and down about 10-15lbs (I tend to say I like to hibernate in the winter and eat all the food). I'm back here, because it's the only thing that works, to get to 148 for my up coming Cancun vacation.

• BPRKEY
    Options
    With regard to my weight, my height is very much in my favor. My bro and I are the tallest on both sides. If I were the avg height of the women in my family it would be a very different picture for sure.
    jmek926 wrote: »
    I love that there is some tall women in this group! I'm 5'11 also, but I seem to be a much wider 5'11! :) HAHA! Getting down to 200 lbs is when I felt my healthiest and my goal. I've been told I have shoulders like a football player and hips that go on for miles. It's true, and after losing 18 lbs and getting in a much more positive head space about my body it's starting to become one of the things I love. We all have amazing unique bodies, and nothing is one size fits all. After almost 30 years on this planet, I am finally starting to learn that. Sometimes it's hard for me to relate to smaller women, even though my mom is tiny and we talk about our health and weight goals a lot. 5 lbs to her is a lot and to me it's chump change!

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks @BPRKEY! Tons of tall women in this group - that's awesome.

@jmek926 When I decided to lose weight, it was out of health fear more than anything else. A close friend who was a bit older and much heavier than I was just diagonsed with Type 2 Diabetes. In a way that was super scary (she lost her eye sight for hours). It made me look at my health and weight and made me decide that I never wanted that to happen to me. My original goal was to just get into the "healthy BMI range", but when I got there, I honestly thought I could do better and kept going. Losing weight to me is EASY. Maintaining it, not so easy. I was one of those girls that could never see themselves ever wearing a size smaller than a US 12. Come to find out I feel really good when I'm a size 6. Who knew? What I thought was bone and muscle was actually fat. Now, if I could just get there and STAY there. My mentality when I'm losing is - JUST DO IT. When I'm maintaining is "JUST EAT IT".

My goal is to get to 148 by vacation. Eat/Drink all that the all inclusive hotel has to offer, and when I get back, maintain the weight I am. Which I'm assuming will be around 153.
  • jmek926
    Options
    @kristen8000 Oh man! That is so scary! I had some blood work in the past few years that has come back boarderline for "pre diabetes". It scared me, but not enough to do anything about it. That's awesome that you can just get motivated like that. It has taken me some serious low back pain to figure out that this weight just isn't working for my body... and turning 30 in a few weeks. Haha! And I finally just joined a health program (Omada) that my job offers that is targeted to Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Disease. The weekly lessons have helped me change my eating habits SOO much! :) I wish I could say the same about losing! Although I'm not sure I'm any better at maintaining... since the only thing I've been able to maintain is big and unhealthy. LOL. Just eat is had definitely been my motto. When do you go on vacation?? We will keep you pumped to get to your goal, but it sounds like you will have plenty of motivation on your own! KUDOS!! It's always excited and nice to find where you feel the best whether it's a size 2, 6, or 16. And I think this just takes time walking in those shoes. I think a US 10-12 is where I want to be. It's where I've felt the best before (but it's been sooo long since I've been there!)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    @jmek926 My vacation is Nov. 11th (so I have a good 2 months to get to my goal). I have different scale #'s in mind, but I do know that I'm not there yet. I need to get better at the working out thing. I spend 8+hrs a day sitting at work, then I go home and sit at home and even though I'm used to do that, it's not healthy. And the closer 40 gets my body seems to change in ways I'm not fond of.

We'll all be here to cheer you on to good health! Keep up the good work!
  • jmek926
    Options
    Nice! I know what you mean! I sit at a computer all day for work and then was sitting at home. I started doing little chunks of exercise. The thought of having to do it all at once when I got home or in the morning just didn't jive with me. So I do a walk in the morning (most days) and 10-15 minutes of indoor cycling at lunch during the week day, and another short walk/jog in the evening and some yoga for my back pain. I thought this would be good baby steps when I started and it really has just been a good pattern for me, so it's stuck. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey there, I am Ange, I am 34, live in Ireland, I have been working overseas for the majority of my 20s and early 30s so I have never got around to the whole settling down, getting married and having kids. I won't say I never will, because I don't know what could happen in the future, but it's not something that interests me at this point in my life.

I put about 10kg on last year after a back injury, I was already fairly heavy to start with but was active enough until the injury. Long story short, I got lazy and greedy and was over 250lbs.

I decided enough was enough and stopped making excuses in November 2016. I quit my pointless gym membership (would go once or twice a week and half-heartedly use the exercise bike) started some strength training and low impact cardio at home. I updated my stats in MyFitnessPal as I've been using it since 2011 but never actually used it properly and always rage quit after 10 days.

Fast forward 9 months, I have lost nearly 40lbs, I am strength training a couple of time of week, I started jogging in May (I would have dropped into a fit of giggles on the floor if you told me that I would be running this time last year) and I also do Pilates, Yoga & HIIT at home.

I still have another 35lbs or so till I am at my goal weight, which I expect to hit around March next year.

I have blog www.exercisenotextrafries.com , I am not selling anything, it just has some of my musings from my journey from fat to fit so far and a bunch of recipes and meal ideas. I also have an instagram account for motivation, inspiration and food sharing exercisenotextrafries
  • lucyabuck
    lucyabuck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am Lucy and I live in London. A number of years ago I was successful in losing a number of lbs to get to a weight I was happy with. However I then met, my now Husband, and it has gradually all come back on and I am in a worst place than when I very first started.
    I have been playing at the healthy eating and exercise thing for a number of months now and I really haven't got anywhere.

I really need to focus myself.. I am an emotional eater, so its just round and round in circles.
    I tired fitness pal previously and just lied to myself when completing my diary. I considered joining a slimming group, but why pay each week, when I know what I am doing wrong?!!.... so I am back to fitness pal

Although I currently don't have any children, it is our plan and I really want to be lighter and fitter when that happens!

A motivation group in certainly what I need...

• merrys73
    merrys73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! My name is Mary and am located in Saginaw, MI.
    A few years back me and a friend had done quite well at loosing lots of weight just by eating better and walking. However, over the last 3 years... Allllll that weight has crept its way back! I have no kids, not yet anyway! But do have 4 animal babes 2 dogs and 2 cats that all drive me crazy. Have been sticking on tracking calories and actually not over eating like I used to the last few weeks.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Hi to all of our new members!! The membership exploded today, I love it! Thank you for sharing your stories with us. More than one definitely resonated with me. Thanks so much for joining!
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for starting this group, there are so many groups aimed at mum's it's frustrating. Can't we understand their struggles just because we don't have children? Unless children are force feeding their parents nowadays I'm not sure how it's a relevant factor...

Anyway, I'm Louise, I live in England (Leeds) and don't have children by choice. So many people assume if you don't want children you must hate them, but I really don't, I just know that having children is a long term commitment and it's not one I'm prepared to make.

My weight loss story is nothing special, I have been a little overweight since I was a teen, but I had a flat stomach and I wasn't particularly concerned. Then I met my now husband, I slowly started to pile on the pounds until about 3 years ago when I got an office job, then the gain sped up until I finally decided to take the situation in hand.

Like others in the group I have had mfp for years but never really used it properly, I would set it at 2lbs a week it spit out a 1200 calorie goal and I would nearly be there by lunch time, I clearly couldn't do it. Then one day a little over a year ago I discovered the message boards, it became clear that slow sustainable loss was the way to go and I was off. I had a steady start which slowed just before Christmas and more recently feels like it's stopped. So I have recommitted to more consistent logging, I have lost 40lbs so far with about 35 still to go to reach a healthy BMI, I don't really care how long it takes, as long as I am making progress!
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm Reesh. I'm 35. I have been a teacher for the last thirteen years, but this year I decided to take a break and focus on becoming an artist (something I've always wanted to do). This means I'm at home all the time and managing my meals from my own kitchen most of the time.

I feel lucky to know that I have some many real-life female friends in the 30's with no kids! Must be where I'm living or some such! That said, my husband and I want kids, but at the moment, still no kids. I had a miscarriage this spring and the hormones lingering after the pregnancy messed with my motivation. If I happen to get pregnant, I'll duck out :wink:

Anyway, I have never been a very athletically gifted human being. As a kid I was asthmatic and while I had athletic aspirations, the normal school support structure for athletics didn't really jive with the kinds of things that I could do. I biked and hiked quite a bit as a teen because they made me happy. In my twenties I started road biking and racing, though I never took it very seriously (and cranking up the caloric demands with road racing without carefully monitoring your caloric intake can result in no weight loss or even slight weight gains!)

When I was 29, I did a cross-country bike ride. I only lost a pant size on the trip, but it completely transformed me as a person. Kind of like being reborn a bit. I was in the best shape of my life at 5'7'' 140 lbs. I also gained a crazy fat-burning metabolism that lasted about two years until it petered out around 32 years old. I remember naively going "I'll never get over 150 lbs again!" :lol::lol::lol: Ahhh, youth. I moved to the D.C. area, stopped biking for years because the crummy roads in Maryland were full of angry, homicidal drivers. When my husband and I started getting in shape for our wedding (good excuse), we focused on strength training and I really fell in love with the feeling of being able to lift big, heavy things. It gave me other numbers to focus on besides the scale. Ever since last year, I've been in a motivation slump. I haven't been watching my diet carefully and the numbers on the scale kept creeping up even though on the whole we eat pretty high quality foods. We moved and didn't find a gym we liked until just recently (and it is awwwwesome). I've also got access to Virginia's vast network of bike trails and quality roads, so I'm riding my road bike more.

I learned recently that I'm kind of a volume eater... a bottomless pit so to speak, probably exacerbated by years of 10 minute lunches as a teacher and scarfing down as much as possible very quickly. Nice to know that others have the same problem and have found ways to stay satisfied. It's the overeating that gets me.

Anyway, I'm really glad there's a community of women in their thirties motivating each other without bringing in the child factor. Different support needs, eh?

Nice to meet you!
  • tiffaterrorist
    tiffaterrorist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tiff. I am an author and artist with a day job. I've tried to focus on being healthy on and off since college. I am the heaviest I've been, but I'm dropping the pounds at a good rate. I have lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months and just recently decided to get even more serious about being healthy. That is why I start MFP again and I'm joining groups.

Please feel free to send me a friend request. Support and friends are important and great when you have a goal to achieve. :-)
  • grayduckyogini
    grayduckyogini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Michele and I'm 39. I'm married and happily childfree. I'm really glad that this group exists - I just did a friend search for other people who are around my age and discovered that there are a LOT of moms on MFP. I think that there's a different mindset amongst those who choose not to have kids - I suppose I have more free time!

One of my goals is to be a good citizen as well as a good person. I work part-time and volunteer in the community about 20 hours a week. I like to hike and bike and be outdoors. I spent several years living in a small town in an area with tons of outdoor activities, and when I got married 3 years ago I moved back to a major metro area. I almost immediately went from about 160lbs to 200lbs! I hadn't realized how active I had been...and how inactive my life in the City would be! Also - I do a lot of the cooking and when it was just me, I did not cook to impress. Now that I'm married I try to make food a bit more interesting that Bachelorette Michele would have eaten. I guess it was richer too...and the pounds went back on.

My initial goal is 160 lbs. I have two rewards: when I get to 175 I am going to get a tattoo removed (long story); and when I get to 160 I am going to buy myself a new backpacking tent. I used to hike a TON and did many chunks of the Superior Hiking Trail (a 280-mile long distance trail from Duluth to near Canada in Minnesota) and would like to do a thru-hike.

I'm doing straight-up CICO, eating less meat (but not going full veg...yet), and right now I'm on week 8 of the Couch to 5k. I have a 5k on October 7th, and then another on Thanksgiving morning. My goal for the one of Oct 7 is to run the whole thing. My goal for the one on Thanksgiving is to improve upon my Oct 7th time! I am also going to join the Planet Fitness that is opening up down the street from me. There is a good no-contract deal going on so I'll give it a try.

I'm looking for friends, so feel free to add me!
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey Gray duck!

I'm a big hiker/camper as well. My husband and I do really well when we have something to aim for and backpacking the Dolly Sods Wilderness of West Virginia is our goal. Considering we'll be hiking ten or so miles a day with 50-60 lbs on our backs, it's a good enough reason to get into shape. I totally hear you about cooking for an audience. My husband and I both love to cook, so that complicates matters.

You've got some awesome goals coming up and some realllly awesome motivation. Keep up the great work!
    Hello! I'm Michele and I'm 39. I'm married and happily childfree. I'm really glad that this group exists - I just did a friend search for other people who are around my age and discovered that there are a LOT of moms on MFP. I think that there's a different mindset amongst those who choose not to have kids - I suppose I have more free time!

One of my goals is to be a good citizen as well as a good person. I work part-time and volunteer in the community about 20 hours a week. I like to hike and bike and be outdoors. I spent several years living in a small town in an area with tons of outdoor activities, and when I got married 3 years ago I moved back to a major metro area. I almost immediately went from about 160lbs to 200lbs! I hadn't realized how active I had been...and how inactive my life in the City would be! Also - I do a lot of the cooking and when it was just me, I did not cook to impress. Now that I'm married I try to make food a bit more interesting that Bachelorette Michele would have eaten. I guess it was richer too...and the pounds went back on.

My initial goal is 160 lbs. I have two rewards: when I get to 175 I am going to get a tattoo removed (long story); and when I get to 160 I am going to buy myself a new backpacking tent. I used to hike a TON and did many chunks of the Superior Hiking Trail (a 280-mile long distance trail from Duluth to near Canada in Minnesota) and would like to do a thru-hike.

I'm doing straight-up CICO, eating less meat (but not going full veg...yet), and right now I'm on week 8 of the Couch to 5k. I have a 5k on October 7th, and then another on Thanksgiving morning. My goal for the one of Oct 7 is to run the whole thing. My goal for the one on Thanksgiving is to improve upon my Oct 7th time! I am also going to join the Planet Fitness that is opening up down the street from me. There is a good no-contract deal going on so I'll give it a try.

I'm looking for friends, so feel free to add me!

• catvlmack
    catvlmack Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eekkk! Didn't know this group existed! I'm 33 and no kids (yay!) I find life is increasingly lonely and no one gets you, so yay for you lot!
    I don't hate kids though, happy to spend time with the nieces and nephews as long as they go away again at the end. I also coach kids gymnastics ( the kids love me, and when the parents ask why I'm so awesome, I tell them that I don't have my own and treat theirs like real people not just later life care, well I don't say that exactly but...)
    I have always been larger, always. I lost 35lb for my wedding 6 years ago then got complacent and did the gaining more back thing. Started 18 months ago at 206lb and now down to 168 but want to lose more. Getting tired of "oh well it's easy for you, you don't have commitments" apparently life is easy for me, tell that to the panic attacks. Oh well.
    Oh and my names Catherine, and I would love more friends, real friends (am I sounding desperate yet?) I live in Lancashire uk.