Low carb smoothie recipes

Options
Cheesy567
Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
Care to share your favorite smoothie recipes? I'm looking to keep my relatively high protein goals, but need some easy-to-swallow smoothies or puréed foods. Baby foods just don't cut the protein needs!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I don't understand the baby food thing. Are you eating baby food meat? Do you have an issue with chewing foods?
    Are you looking specifically for high protein smoothies?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have no personal recommendations but perhaps one of these with protein powder added might work. The all look tasty to me. Maybe I should jump on the smoothie wagon! Hope whatever is going on that you need "easy to swallow" heals or passes quickly.

http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-smoothies-shakes-with-5-net-carbs-or-less/
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I don't understand the baby food thing. Are you eating baby food meat? Do you have an issue with chewing foods?
    Are you looking specifically for high protein smoothies?

I have an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that flares up at times and makes it so that I can't chew well or finish a meal. At times I have to purée my foods and thicken liquids so that I can swallow without choking or aspirating. I don't tolerate the commercial shakes and thickeners well (corn, soy, and whey intolerances, allergies to banannas, carrots, many nuts and seeds) so I'm always looking for some new ideas.

Baby food stage 2 fruits and veggies work well when I need them. They don't have enough protein for me, though. I purée my own meats, but it gets old after awhile, and sometimes I need an easier option when I don't have the strength or energy to cook up a meal and purée it in the same sitting.

I just found some egg white protein powder that I can use, and I'm looking for some smoothie ideas. It's the first protein powder that works for me both with texture and allergies. (Well, I can eat collagen powder too but it isn't nearly as filling for me)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Dear God that sounds challenging @cheesy567. I have a friend with Oromandibular Dystonia and she too often resorts to baby foods. Actually, baby food is primary in her diet. That and protein shakes. Fortunately she has no food allergies.

I hope others chime in with viable options for you.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I see. Sorry to hear of your struggles.
    Maybe adding a couple eggs to whatever you do currently mix up will help add protein and a more rich flavor. ???
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're ok with dairy, I used to make protein smoothies using cottage cheese. It sounds a little gross, but once you add in milk and frozen fruits or cocoa powder (and sweetener), it does not taste or look like cottage cheese after its been blended. Its relatively low carb (about 8g in a serving) but high protein.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My go-to-smoothie: Two cups unsweetened almond milk; one scoop unflavored whey protein powder (GNC has an unflavored zero carb powder "Isopure"); one cup frozen spinach (which provides thickness and fiber but cannot be tasted in the smoothie); one cup crushed ice; whatever flavoring agent happens to appeal that day (Skinny Syrup, Torani Sugar Free, DaVinci Sugar Free, Mio drops and so on.) I count this as 25 grams of protein, 3 carb grams.