Wanting to get this right.

Options
vanlew
vanlew Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
Hi there! I've lurked around em2wl for the past year or so, but am finally ready to give it a real effort.
I had a back injury this spring, which ultimately led to a minor operation this summer. I completly stopped dieting and counting calories thru all of that (since April) so, while I have gained some weight, I feel like my body made me do what my mind had a harder time with, metabolism reset.
I'm 5'4, 192 lbs (10-15 of that is since my injury,) and 28 years old. I workout (Just got cleared for weights, so starting small next week) or walk my dog about 4 days a week, but the other 3 I am really sedentary. Like 3-5000 steps sedentary.
I put myself at lightly active and 10% cut, so 2000 calories. Does that sound right?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It certainly a great place to start. As your activity level increases, make sure you increase your calories.!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • vanlew
    Options
    Thank you @Raynn1 I'd prefer to do this right and I wanted to make sure I wasn't undereating.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll just mention that as you approach 4K steps you start going over Sedentary.

So you aren't "really sedentary" - but rather just barely on your 3 days.

Sedentary is really a bump on a log the whole day and weekends too - as a general activity level anyway.
  • vanlew
    Options
    Thank you @heybales
    That's good to know about 4000 steps, I didn't know where the cut off point was. I knew I wasn't completely sedentary, but some days it feels like it! :) Hopefully I can strike a balance between my low activity days and my higher activity days.
  • heybales
    Options
    If a low activity day allows a high activity day with a strong workout - that's actually correct.
    It allows recovery from the strong workout.

Because it's not the workout that tears the body down that causes the improvements - it's the recovery from it to build it back up.

If this is just daily activity variations - no problem there either.

The 4000 is usually found to be about average daily steps - if that was all say Ikea store shuffle walking - then no not the same. If it was exercise pace walking, might only take 3000.
  • vanlew
    Options
    I do have another question. (Sorry in advance, I am an overexplainer)
    Currently I'm limited on what weighted exercises I'm able to do, because of my surgery.
    I'm allowed to do Lat pull downs, assisted pull ups, bench press, chest press and incline chest press, and rows. (Basically machine exercises that don't strain my lower back.)
    I'm not allowed to do anything weighted with my lower body (but can do body weight,) and only specific things for my core (bird dog etc.)
    I'm running into an issue trying to make a concrete workout plan. Monday's and Fridays I currently do weights, and Wednesday I try to swim.
    I worry that is not enough lifting sessions per week. I plan on doing cardio on other days, but that's because I'm supporting my husband at the gym and have run out of exercises lol
    Is there a way I can arrange them into a split I can do back to back days ? Or should I just wait until i can do more exercises?
  • heybales
    Options
    Sounds like normal issue of any spine compression stuff is out.
    OHP, pushing body weight up with legs with bar at top of spine, ect.

So you can still do leg extensions and curls on machines if you have them available. Be very sure of the setup on them for proper form. Since locked in, form even more important.

You could indeed do push/pull upper body split, and 3rd day of lower and whatever core you can manage.
    That allows 6 days weekly and short workouts.

http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout3PPL.html

The list is done in order for what can be done (notice in italics means optional) - just find the lift you can do in the list of what works that muscle.
    Like traps is probably out, compresses spine.
    But many of the others with dumbbells which forces lighter weight, and isolated versions not compound lifts, also forces lighter weight, wouldn't add more than current upper body weight and can be done seated with back supported. But confirm it's alright.
  • vanlew
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you @heybales thats a really useful list! I had forgotten about push/pull splits.