How do I decide which surgery to have? Band/sleeve/bypass?

Options
sam_c_93
sam_c_93 Posts: 23 Member
I've read about them all and their pros and cons as well as my consultant giving me his input but I'm still undecided.

I read a lot of success stories on here but not many seem to say which surgery they actually had.

How did you guys decide?

I have approx 8 stone to lose.

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve june 2014 lost 120
    Went to a pre op class and learned about the different types of surgery. My surgeon suggested the sleeve because I'm a type one diabetic. There are times I need to ingest sugar to bring up my blood sugar. With the sleeve you don't get dumping syndrome when you eat sugar. I also liked that it didn't require the intestines to be altered.
  • sam_c_93
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    I had the sleeve june 2014 lost 120
    Went to a pre op class and learned about the different types of surgery. My surgeon suggested the sleeve because I'm a type one diabetic. There are times I need to ingest sugar to bring up my blood sugar. With the sleeve you don't get dumping syndrome when you eat sugar. I also liked that it didn't require the intestines to be altered.

Thanks for this. The sleeve is the first in my head at the moment, only thing making me hesitant is the price and that I've read it's got the highest chance of allowing your stomach to just stretch back to it's original size.

So glad it worked for you though.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard that gastric bypass has a high chance of allowing your stomach to stretch back. With sleeve surgery, most of the stretchy part of your stomach is removed. I am almost 4 years out from sleeve surgery and I still have a lot of restriction, I think my stomach stretched very little if at all.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Many surgeons have stopped doing lap bands. There have been a lot of people who have had to have them revised to a sleeve or RnY due to erosion of the stomach wall, ulcers, etc.
  • sam_c_93
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I've actually heard that gastric bypass has a high chance of allowing your stomach to stretch back. With sleeve surgery, most of the stretchy part of your stomach is removed. I am almost 4 years out from sleeve surgery and I still have a lot of restriction, I think my stomach stretched very little if at all.

That's really good to know, thank you.
    clcmfp wrote: »
    Many surgeons have stopped doing lap bands. There have been a lot of people who have had to have them revised to a sleeve or RnY due to erosion of the stomach wall, ulcers, etc.

I've read a lot of about this and it slightly worries me that they are so widely available in the UK if that's the case. They are only in the running because of price and the fact I personally know people who have had good experiences.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had the VSG on 10/5/16. I'm not quite a year post op but the sleeve has been a great option for me.
  • sam_c_93
    Options
    Thanks.

I like the idea of the sleeve but I have a huge sweet tooth switch makes me thing a bypass could work better:/
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    sam_c_93 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I like the idea of the sleeve but I have a huge sweet tooth switch makes me thing a bypass could work better:/

If you are leaning towards bypass surgery because you feel that dumping syndrome might help you control your intake of sweets, you might want to reconsider. You never know after surgery what kinds of foods you can tolerate. I had the sleeve and too many sweets can make me literally sugar sick one day, and another day I can be fine. I have friends who had bypass who eat sweets on a regular basis without problems (and gained most of their weight back). The best option for you is going to be what the best option overall is, determined by you and your surgeon.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks.

If you are leaning towards bypass surgery because you feel that dumping syndrome might help you control your intake of sweets, you might want to reconsider. You never know after surgery what kinds of foods you can tolerate. I had the sleeve and too many sweets can make me literally sugar sick one day, and another day I can be fine. I have friends who had bypass who eat sweets on a regular basis without problems (and gained most of their weight back). The best option for you is going to be what the best option overall is, determined by you and your surgeon.

What ever procedure you choose, You can find ways to "eat around your surgery".

Example:
    Eating small meals all day. You will be able to consume more food and calories.
    Eating off your plan (carbs & sugar)

Reality with any bariatric procedure is if you don't change your behaviors. If you don't work your program. You will gain weight or not get to your goal. Surgery is only a tool to help you lose weight. The majority is the work you put into this.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

That's really good to know, thank you.
    clcmfp wrote: »

I've read a lot of about this and it slightly worries me that they are so widely available in the UK if that's the case. They are only in the running because of price and the fact I personally know people who have had good experiences.

My surgeon no longer does lap band either because of future complications and stomach erosion. He seems to think that any bariatric surgeon still performing the band is expecting to do another future surgery Ie sleeve or bypass in the future for correction within 1-2 years

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    7 months post VSG. I chose the sleeve because it modified the current setup and the bypass scared me with the rearrangement of the design. A bit less loss with the sleeve, fewer complications, an easier surgery and recovery. You can fail with either. Whichever tool you choose you still have to work on the mental part. They can't cut that part out. BTW 50 lost before VSG 75 since about 30 from goal. Few complications easiest surgery and recovery. I would do it again tomorrow. I am beyond thrilled with my results.

Paul
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also went with the sleeve because I didn't want things rerouted. Surgery and recovery for me were a breeze. I'm now 4 months post-op and having the tool of WLS has changed my life for the better.

Whatever operation you decide on, I'm sure it will be worth it. The gift of weight loss is incredible.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a lot of NHS regions here in the U.K. have stopped offering the lapband as a WLS option due to complications & poor results.
    Personally I'm just about to start the tier system, hopefully, I see my GP tomorrow to ask to be considered. So fingers crossed.
    And I'm leaning towards the sleeve, I don't much fancy having my plumbing re/routed. But I'll be guided by my surgeon.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 4/18/16. I originally wanted the lap band but my surgeon doesn't do it anymore. I went to the seminar and allowed my surgeon to convince me to go with the bypass. I lost 77.7 lbs to date and my highest amount lost was 88 lbs. Been struggling since March, and had a 4.6 gain due to not weighing in and going a little off plan while on vacation

I can tell you first hand that surgery is just a tool - in time your body will allow you to eat some of the foods that aren't the greatest for you (chips, crackers, ice cream etc). I went into this telling my surgeon if I could never have pizza again then surgery wasn't for me. I do have real pizza BuT now I only have a slice if that - I can't eat more than that. Your body will let you know when it gets very full, and I have experienced dumping and it's not pretty. In hindsight I wish I had the sleeve.
  • NettieBess
    NettieBess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    (This was about lap bands)

If you're in the UK why are you worried about price? Surely, if you really need the surgery you will qualify under the NHS and they will give information and advice.

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    NettieBess wrote: »
    (This was about lap bands)

If you're in the UK why are you worried about price? Surely, if you really need the surgery you will qualify under the NHS and they will give information and advice.

As I understand the wait is very long to get surgery on the NHS so if people can afford it, many pay to go private.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went with the gastric bypass, the main reason, was because I had terrible GERD and a hiatal hernia. I know that the sleeve can cause GERD to get worse, not with everyone, but I was sure I'd be one of them, and I knew that insurance wouldnt pay for the revision from the sleeve to RNY bypass. Then there is the fact that I was around 160 pounds OVERweight. and I knew that i'd lose more with the RNY. After talking intensively with my surgeon, I went with the bypass on 5/16/2017 this year, I've lost 113 since my first visit with the surgeon last October (2016). I am happy to say, I have NO issues with reflux/GERD anymore. :) I would get the bypass again in a heart beat. I feel so much better.
    There are so many issues with the lap band, erosion, slippage, that i'd stay away from that one.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people on here. Take lap band out of the running. It was originally my choice until I was told it wasn't even an option at my hospital. Did some research and found out it's a terrible option in general.

I had the sleeve on 5/1/17 and I love it. I didn't want to fear dumping or rerouting so sleeve was my option. I wouldn't change my decision and I am down 128lbs so far. My surgeon wanted me to go with bypass since you would lose more weight but I am a firm believer in you success being based on the work you put into it so I will lose their weight without the bypass. I also didn't like how much more mal absorption there was with bypass.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had to have a lapband removed due to erosion, and opted to have RNY, in December 2012. The greatest positive for me with RNY was that all my diabetic symptoms disappears the day after my RNY surgery. There is something about removing that six feet of small intestine that takes some chemical reactions out of the body, and causes all diabetic symptoms to disappear for 85% of the surgical patients. I don't know if it will prevent diabetic symptoms from appearing later in people who didn't have it originally (and don't use the tool, and gain a lot of weight).

That said, a tool is only as successful as you choose to use it. I didn't work at it, and lost 100+ pounds in the Golden Year, then stopped losing (but fortunately didn't gain.) A year ago I started working at it again, and have lost another 45+. I still have a ways to go, but I know I will make it, and I now have the years I didn't have previously to work at it, due to my surgery. I'm grateful every day that I had the bypass; I wish I'd chosen it originally in 2008, when I had a lapband installed. However, that's in the past, and I live in today and the future now!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve for 2 reasons: 1) because I was afraid to have my intestines reconnected in a different way. 2) because the sleeve offered a smaller chance of vitamin malnourishment because your body has a better chance to absorb the nutrients in the food that you eat.
    Best wishes in which ever route you choose.