enablers

Options
My husband is such an enabler. I am so good with my eating during the day, but it all goes to hell when he gets home. And weekends? Forget about it! I tell him I want to stop drinking, but he keeps bringing home irresistible craft beer. He always has a bowl of M&M's out and can completely forget about them. Not me. I can be in the other room and can't stop thinking about them. I've asked him to help me out because he's not exactly the picture of health, but he's not interested. He works hard and feels that he should be able to eat and drink what he wants.

So, do you have enablers in your life? If so, how do you stay strong?

Replies

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My hubby is pretty supportive. When I quit smoking in 1998 he quit too even though he was only an occasional smoker. I smoked 2 packs a day so quitting was difficult. With my new LCHF WOE he eats what I eat and actually has become quite carb conscious. He said he wld never give up bread, cheese or beer. Well he gave up bread w nary a complaint. NOT the beer which works for me as I don't like it .... now red wine is another issue. When the boys come home I ask them to keep their snacks in their room but I find with this WOE I don't have cravings so not a huge issue.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help @crimsongrey but what about limiting instead of deleting.... if there is a bowl of M&M with a costco size package poured in it, take 12 or so out and put them in your own bowl in a different room..... and don't refill it that day. With the beer, pour a small glass maybe half the beer and enjoy it. If you killed all your goals for the day, have the another half later in the evening. Men are like children sometimes, if you keep letting them get away with it... they just keep doing it. If you keep giving in to the beer and the chocolate your not showing you really want to back up your requests. Maybe if he sees you really trying to cut it out he will eventually get the hint.... You have to be stronger then them. I know my guy is amazing but he likes to cuddle..... so there are many nights when he comes home that there is no walks or runs or gym, just snuggling <3 So I have to put my foot down and say AFTER we do this or this.... eventually he gets it. But if I don't push the issue its jammies and tv in a blink!
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @showjumper, you're right. I just haven't been very emotionally strong lately. But I will be...after tonight ;) Chinese takeout, pumpkin harvest beer and M&M's!!! Damn him! At least I ran today.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BF and I enable each other, for better or worse.... snuggles, bourbon, popcorn, cheese, ice cream OR up at 5am for a gym workout and tracking our food all day
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @Here4Ponies - something similar w my good friend. We have been starting exercise and diet programs for 20 years and we actually end up sabotaging each other within a week or two. This time we are actually motivating each other for the first time. We have both lost over 25 lbs. Took us 20 years
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone! :)