7 Common Keto Mistakes

Options
123sind
123sind Posts: 80 Member
Just seen this thought i would share it with you all.
https://thedailynutrition.com/keto-mistakes/

Replies

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fat is a lever for satiety, but you don't need to overdo it if you are trying to lose body fat.

I personally think the biggest mistakes people make on this WOE are fat bombs & BPC...

I think this is very true. I'm trying to dial my fat intake down a bit at the moment. Less cream etc.

Tom

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate that article is.
    You don't need more fat than protein to follow a keto diet. The only requirement for a ketogenic diet is low carbs. Protein is necessary to maintain muscle mass & will not turn into glucose or whatever they say.
    https://ketogains.com/2016/04/gluconeogenesis-wont-kick-you-out-ketosis/

Fat is a lever for satiety, but you don't need to overdo it if you are trying to lose body fat.

I personally think the biggest mistakes people make on this WOE are fat bombs & BPC...

This is my counsel as well. I limit carbs to 20 net per day. I meet or exceed protein. My fat macro was reduced to increase my protein macro a couple of months ago. Glucose numbers are good even with (recently) reduced metformin. I still am typically maybe 2/3 of the fat macro.

I am not an expert or anything, but I know what has been working for me. I reduced my A1C from 12.8 (at diagnosis) to 5.5 in 10 months with metformin and the keto diet. I have lost 102 lbs total since Jan 2016. the first 40 were CICO, and I was always hungry and unhappy with what I was eating. Since starting keto, I have lost another 62, and have been very satisfied with what I am eating.

I will admit I am fond of cup of coffee with HWC once a day, but that is all included in the fat macro comments above.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

You don't need more fat than protein to follow a keto diet. The only requirement for a ketogenic diet is low carbs. Protein is necessary to maintain muscle mass & will not turn into glucose or whatever they say.

I think it's ok if you are counting calories and/or you are just a beginner and need that extra satiety while you battle cravings. Or if you IF. As long as you are in a calorie deficit and getting your protein, it's fine. It's just not necessary and can pile the calories up quickly if you are having trouble keeping them lower.

I used to do my version of BPC, Kevlar Coffee. And fat bombs. But I found I'd rather eat my calories, not drink them, in the coffee case. And the fat bombs were just like candy, which I binge insanely, so I stopped making them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I agree. Too much protein is only an issue for people who need or want high ketones for medical reasons or health benefits like a type of treatment for dementia. High protein can also play a role in managing insulin levels in those with IR, depending on the individual and their circumstances.

If you are just using ketosis as a weight loss tool, then bot exceeding moderate protein is not a problem at all, and may end up being helpful.

Fat bombs are too good. I rarely make them because I eat them too fast.

But BPC? LOVE it, although my recipe is lower in fat than the original and uses a teaspoon of fats in total rather than 2 Tbs. If I don't have coconut oil and coffee it throws off my day and I end up hungrier and eat earlier and more. But I am someone who has always enjoyed drinking my calories. I was a smoothie girl before going LCHF. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Since the article didn't provide any actual baseline metrics, it's hard to say what 'eat more fat' and 'eat less protein' is really supposed to mean anyway. However, I think low carb and low fat is probably going to be hard to stay satisfied.