Holiday Strategies?

Options
clicketykeys
clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, the combination of Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years always seems to torpedo my fitness goals. Treats are everywhere, and I want them all! On top of that, it's so busy that it makes it hard to get any exercise done.

What strategies do you use to help you stay on track during the holiday season? I'm thinking about putting a 500-calorie Quick Add on any day that there's an event planned, and then limiting myself to one plate of food at the event. That way I can avoid feeling like I'm denying myself all fun, but I can still - hopefully - stick to my plans.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so we don't have Thanksgiving but there are still lots of winter events with opportunities to eat a lot of delicious food. If I know I am going to an event I try to bank some calories in the week by either doing a few extra workouts of eating a bit less on the other days so that I can allow myself a treat.

My problem is accurately logging when someone else is providing the food without seeming rude!
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is probably not the best way to handle, but if I know there is an event coming up where I will want to indulge, I limit myself to only premier protein shakes for the other 2 meals, then I don't feel as guilty indulging.
  • dithompson1
    dithompson1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Add Super Bowl into that and then it's a slippery slope into Valentine's Day! I just take one day at a time and stay on track "most of the time".
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Dude, the nonsense starts with Halloween at our house, and I'll ditto @dithompson1 about it carrying right through until Valentine's. And really, Easter hits right after...

I don't have any particularly interesting strategies. Last year, I just stayed VERY focused on my exercise goals and made a strong effort on portion control. My problem isn't really the events, it's the candy that always seems to be laying around the house that time of the year. None of our kids seem to have that intense a sweet tooth, so guess who usually ends up eating most of the candy?
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Last year the holidays definitely knocked me off track. I think this year I plan to eat light on any day there is an event, and allow myself to indulge just a little bit (like a few bites at most) of anything I want to taste. I think moderation is everything. However if its like 3 events a week, then I have to be more strict. Im assuming possibly one event a week at the most that I will be super tempted. And honestly, Thanksgiving I am going to fully enjoy myself. No shame!
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I always try to eat soup or a salad before going to social events so I don’t fill up on as much of the junk.

Christmas cookies though - I have not yet developed a strategy for those. My mom literally makes 20 different kinds every year, no joke, plus my grandma makes some, and my aunt ... And of course i want to try them all!

Edit - just realized that I will be in maintenance by Christmas, so at least I will have some extra calories for cookies!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Grats on approaching maintenance, @brianneangell08! I like the idea of filling up ahead of time so that it's only temptation, not temptation ON TOP of actual hunger, haha!

Oh, and let's not forget about Mardi Gras, which is usually shortly after Valentine's Day.

I'm going to look at this as a GOOD thing. This is a challenge, but instead of challenge in the sense of obstacle, it's a challenge like a puzzle. Because if I can figure this out... if I can make the holidays work and figure out how to incorporate goodies into my fitness plan... I WILL WIN THE UNIVERSE ;D
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Again, UK here, so I basically give myself free reign Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day, if I want it, I eat it. I only gained a pound last Christmas. That being said, I'm not a drinker. I have maybe one or two glasses of prosecco and I'm done. For events around the time period, I generally only eat it if I absolutely want it. Go to my favourite restaurant after Christmas shopping? Yes, please! And like everyone else I train like a crazy person and I think that mitigates a lot.

If you feel satisfied you're less likely to have problems. To gain a pound you have to have eaten roughly an excess of 3,500cals over your maintenance. This does not include the inevitable water weight and weight of having more food in your stomach which pushes you up like 4lbs every time you get on the scale. It's pretty rare to go that hard if you're being careful in the days surrounding it. For me it was the Marks and Spencer's Belgian cookies. I love them so much and I will eat a box by myself. I think it's something like 15 cookies and I don't even care. Christmas is a time for family so focus on them rather than food and if you gain a bit you have another 10-11 months after to get yourself right.

Fun fact: stress can make you gain/hold on to weight (cortisol) so enjoy life and you'll keep losing :wink: