Martial Artists are Weirdos

Options
Originally posted by Sensei Ando here:

http://www.senseiando.com/martial-artists-are-weirdos-52/

I thought it was too good not to share.

Okay, I’m just going to say it—martial arts is weird... and martial artists are weirdos.

It’s weird to let people punch and kick you. It’s weird to tie on colored belts. It’s weird to wear kimonos, drawstring pants, or spandex.

It’s weird to bow to other people in a culture where bowing is not customary. It’s weird to imagine worst-case scenarios like being attacked by three people with knives and guns...

It’s even weirder to imagine yourself crippling or killing all of them!

But hold on… I'm not mocking you. Let’s take a closer look at the word “weird”. Weird doesn’t mean crazy. It means abnormal… unusual…or different.

So, when I say that martial artists are "weirdos", all I’m saying is that we’re not normal. The fact is that most human beings do not practice martial arts of any kind.

And isn’t that odd? I mean--

* Is it weird to want to speak up for yourself? No!

* Is it weird to want to be in shape? No!

* Is it weird to practice getting someone’s hands off of you and maintaining control over your body? No!

* Is it weird to develop skills that will not only protect you from harm, but help you protect the people you love? No!

Here's what's weird--almost everybody AGREES that taking martial arts is a great idea. The world can be a crazy and dangerous place, right?

And yet most people will never take a single martial arts class! EVER!!

So, who are the true weirdos? Yes, by the numbers, we are. But if you use the word “weird” to mean “crazy”, well, I think we know who the weirdos really are!

Seriously--how can WE be the weirdos when we’re the ones pursuing the goals that everyone says they want to achieve?

Alas, we live in a world where normal is strange and strange is normal. Talk about crazy!

Anyway, here's the message I want to share...

If you're a martial artist who feels like an alien visiting from another planet, let me say it loud and clear, my friend—

I DON'T THINK YOU'RE WEIRD FOR PRACTICING MARTIAL ARTS!

* I don’t think you’re weird for spending your free time punching, kicking, and screaming.

* I don’t think you’re weird for allowing other people to punch, kick, and scream AT YOU.

* I don’t think you’re weird for fighting imaginary bad guys in the park, or your backyard, or your driveway, or garage.

* I don’t think you’re weird for standing in a horse stance when you brush your teeth.

* I don’t think you’re weird for using a front kick to turn the lights on and off.

* I don’t think you’re weird if someone surprises you from behind at work and your hands fly up automatically like a trained assassin.

* I don’t think you’re weird for still trying to achieve a full split, even at the age of 50 or 60.

* I don’t think you’re weird for walking around covered in bruises. (I don’t think you’re weird if you’re actually proud of those bruises!)

* I don’t think you’re weird if you cry or puke after class because someone pushed you out of your comfort zone.

* I don’t think you’re weird for going to Google to look up how to get blood stains out of your clothes.

* I don’t think you’re weird if every time you buy a pair of pants or shoes, you sneak into the changing room and throw a couple of punches and kicks to make sure they won’t hold you back if you need to fight.

* I don’t think you’re weird if you once had a pet, or currently have a pet, named Donatello.

* I don’t think you’re weird if you stay up late to watch a terrible fight scene in a terrible movie simply because ANY fight scene is better than NO fight scene.

* I don’t think you’re weird if you sit in a restaurant planning an escape route or identifying everything that can be used as a weapon just in case dinner takes an ugly turn.

* I don’t think you’re weird for arriving at a tournament at 8:00 in the morning just to compete in a single event at 4:00 in the afternoon.

* I don’t think you’re weird if one corner of your home is cluttered with staffs, sticks, and swords.

* I don’t think you’re weird for sitting on the couch with an ice pack on your knee and a bag of frozen peas on your shoulder after class.

* I don’t think you’re weird for walking up to a classmate and saying, “Hey—do me a favor and put me in a choke. No, really—choke me.”

* I don’t think you’re weird for loving superhero movies and secretly believing in your heart that you can still become one.

* I don’t think you’re weird for keeping a weapon under your bed… or hidden in every room in your home.

* I don’t think you’re weird when you see a martial arts school on the side of the road and pull over just to look at the mats.

* I don’t think you’re weird for sparring against a tree or a shrub.

* I don’t think you’re weird for bowing to someone outside of class just out of habit.

* I also don’t think you’re weird for occasionally saying, “Osu!” to your boss.

* I don’t think you’re weird if every time you pick up a broom or a mop you suddenly imagine yourself on a battlefield and start swinging it around.

* I don’t think you’re weird if you stand in line behind someone twice your size and think, “Hmm. How could I take this guy down?”

* I don’t think you’re weird for smashing empty cardboard boxes with hammerfists and stomp kicks before you throw them out.

* I don’t think you’re weird for talking about your “master”.

* I don’t think you’re weird when you’re watching MMA on TV and your friend asks, “Do you think you could take that guy?” and you reply, “In a real fight? Yeah. I’d have a chance.”

So, yes, martial artists are weirdos…but in the best of ways.

You’re tough, patient, and wise.

You think for yourself. You take action. You follow through on the desires to achieve enlightenment and empowerment.

THAT'S WHY I HOPE YOU'RE PROUD TO BE WEIRD!

Because you’re different, you have the opportunity to be noticed. That means you have the chance to be a role model. A leader.

Martial artists can be examples to our friends and family of how it’s possible to take hits in life but never stop fighting.

We can demonstrate how to endure hostility with a calm spirit and a clear head.

We can be living proof that training in the martial arts leads to confidence, courage, and kindness. In that way, we can all make the world a better place.

So, don't forget—just because we’re not making the popular choice, doesn’t mean we’re making the WRONG choice!

Never let the giggles of others persuade you to give up. Because if you do, you’ll end up just like everybody else.

You’ll end up being normal!

Imagine that. You… normal.

Now, wouldn’t that be weird?

Keep fighting for a happy life!

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This made my day. Also, I'm going to start brushing my teeth in horse stance. (My neighbors probably think I'm weird because I hold static kicks in the backyard while waiting for the dog to do her business.)
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'll have to print this out for my daughter to read.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    what bianca42 said. i also feel like i'm totally missing out on this toothbrushing horse stance action :D
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You calling me weird? :D
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Good stuff...Proud weirdo here!
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great read! There are so many kids classes in my area, I feel like it's weird to be an adult practitioner here. PTA moms compete about whose kids are enrolled at the most prestigious, expensive karate school, but when I mention judo, they're confused. "But...why would you do that? You're an adult!" When I tell them I started taking classes to share an activity with my son, their faces suddenly fill with acceptance. It baffles me a little.

Yet these same moms get up at 5 to ride a bicycle to nowhere and climb up and down one plastic stair for an hour, so who's the weird one, really?
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Great read! There are so many kids classes in my area, I feel like it's weird to be an adult practitioner here. PTA moms compete about whose kids are enrolled at the most prestigious, expensive karate school, but when I mention judo, they're confused. "But...why would you do that? You're an adult!" When I tell them I started taking classes to share an activity with my son, their faces suddenly fill with acceptance. It baffles me a little.

Yet these same moms get up at 5 to ride a bicycle to nowhere and climb up and down one plastic stair for an hour, so who's the weird one, really?

That's so true. I'm finally getting to a belt level where I'm not the only adult in the class. Sparring with adults is way better than sparring with little kids where I'm afraid their parents are on the sidelines watching my every move. My husband joked that I was training to fight oompa-loompas.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    i also go to a school where most of the students are chinese children. the first time i went, even an adult student assistant said "oh classes for YOU??" i was totally mortified. the advanced adult students (also young, in their 20's) had gone off to start their own thing closer to their home. the parents all asked me which one was my kid and totally gave me side eye when i entered the class. it used to make me so uncomfortable that i would wait in my car until almost the minute class started so i wouldn't have to deal with the stares. now they are used to seeing me there, so i'm over it. because really who cares what they think anyways - i pay for class on time and i'm enjoying it and it's really helping me get in shape.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    i also go to a school where most of the students are chinese children. the first time i went, even an adult student assistant said "oh classes for YOU??" i was totally mortified. the advanced adult students (also young, in their 20's) had gone off to start their own thing closer to their home. the parents all asked me which one was my kid and totally gave me side eye when i entered the class. it used to make me so uncomfortable that i would wait in my car until almost the minute class started so i wouldn't have to deal with the stares. now they are used to seeing me there, so i'm over it. because really who cares what they think anyways - i pay for class on time and i'm enjoying it and it's really helping me get in shape.

When I started, kids we're about 30% of the school... Now the opposite is true. I think too many adults have decided that movement based activity is something you outgrow... And unfortunately that growth mostly occurs at the waist line.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Genuine weirdo here!
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    I think too many adults have decided that movement based activity is something you outgrow... And unfortunately that growth mostly occurs at the waist line.

I've said pretty much this to my kid and her friends when they see me exercise and ask me why. I tell them kids are lucky, they get to play and have recess and that's your exercise. Could you see me and your moms and dads running around playing 'It' and 'hide&seek'? Wouldn't that look strange? So we adults have to exercise like run or go to gyms or do other things.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's funny in my (MMA) gym. You will often have the male parents watching their kids do kids BJJ, kind of size up the adults that are walking by to train. Not quite "mean mugging," but a subtle but still noticeable bit of chest puffing. (These are guys that don't train or at least don't train at our gym.)

A few will even go out after to our small weighlifting area and start lifting heavy while engaging in a little more chest puffery. It makes me laugh. I'm thinking to myself: "Dude are you really that insecure that you have to do an impromptu weight lifting session?"

Seriously, I am a middle-aged attorney who likes to roll around the floor in his PJs, and this requires some unspoken challenge?
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    I did print this out. My daughter and I read it together at Friday night dinner. She at first was offended...but kept reading. We were laughing so hard! We were nodding at some of the stuff on there. Some things I thought were obvious, like her turning lights on/off with her feet. But to my surprise, she apparently sizes up full grown men wondering if and how she'd be able to take them down, etc...very good bonding time for us. Thanks!!