Carb grams

Options
I'm sure this has been covered often, but I'm new to this group. What do Type II diabetics set their carb grams to in myfitnesspal, and how do they divvy up their fat grams (mono-unsaturated, etc.)

My goal is to lose weight. I'm within normal BMI, but at the top of of normal. I'd like to be in the middle or bottom of normal, so am aiming for 15 lb weight loss.

Thank you.

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of varied answers here, and none of them are necessarily wrong. I personally do best on a ketogenic diet, limiting my carbs to 25g or less a day. Many others reduce their carb count to 100g and do great with that.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I try to limit mine to 20 or less a day.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    On the carb amounts it varies person to person. Like radiii posted above. Some do keto, some do 100g. It all depends on each person and how much carbs they can eat without the blood sugars rising up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Probably the best way to figure out what works for you is to use your glucose metre before eating, and then every 30 minutes after. You don't want it to go up much after a meal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I can manage about 30 to 45g at a sitting depending on the food. Some things like flour tortillas I just can't eat, and some things like fruit and potatoes I can eat quite a bit. You have to eat to your meter and learn what works for you. I average a little below 150g / day, but then I exercise like a madman after every meal.
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I eat is a carb of some sort. I follow a WFPB diet which is pretty much a vegan diet with very limited processed foods. With that said, my diet is also really high in fiber. Carbs can vary between 50-70% depending on the day. My daily readings are pretty normal. (79-130) depending on the time of day.