Atkins products

Options
Avoid or friendly for Keto ?

Replies

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I eat their bars and have good success with them. I've heard that some people respond differently to sugar alcohols but obviously they work for a lot of people because they are big sellers at walmart :) The chocolate peanut butter bars in particular are very tasty and they're reasonably priced.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find them a decent back up plan, but I try not to keep them as a primary plan - for many of the reasons listed above.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I will say, friendly for keto for many individuals. For me (though I have not eaten one for many years) I found them to be very tasty. I also found them to be something I would overeat because they are wonderfully highly palatable (to me). Most likely, because I overate them, it was where I first learned that sugar alcohols wreak havoc on my digestive tract...at least when eaten excessively. :/
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Best bet is always to eat real food IMHO.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    When I was doing Atkins induction, I tried the bars and one of the shakes, just didn't work out well for me, YMMV. I found making my own fat bombs much more rewarding, lost weight, saved money, and really love my chocolate fat bombs, they are so satisfying to me.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Look up primal crackers if you have a cracker craving. I make my party cheese dip and serve them with it.
    Cheese dip:
    1 sm container of sour cream
    1 cup shredded cheddar of your choice
    1 cup grated parm
    1 small container of feta
    1 small jar of drained artichoke hearts, chop them up small.

Mix it all up and place into a baking dish. Then bake at 400 for 30-45 mins or until hot, bubbly, and browned. Serve hot with Keto crackers like primal parm crackers. Or make your own crackers, though I prefer primal (buy from Amazon).

When I say "small container" it will be around 6-8 oz each. Either will work. Doesn't have to be exact. That's part of the beauty of this recipe! Also, shredding your own cheese can have its benefits carb-wise. If you don't care about the extra carbs in pre-shredded cheese, you can make it super easy and buy a 16oz bag of Italian cheese mix that has parm and other cheeses in it.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have never tried any atkins products but was eyeing them up at the supermarket as they were on special. For me though i like savoury things more but would still like to try something to see how they taste.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Malitol, like Sorbitol and other sugar alcohols, may also work a >cough< laxative effect. :s
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    They're actually the only sugar-free-type food that had an unpleasant effect on my digestive system. There's one type (I think it was the chocolate peanut butter bars) that I tolerated fine but otherwise I prefer Quest bars or similar.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Most of the Atkins Brand dessert products contain Malitol which is very high on the glycemic index for a sugar alcohol. For a brand named after Dr Atkins and his diet I find that very problematic.

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

Dextrose and Glucose rate a 100 on the glycemic index. Malitol a 35. I mean, that's... better. But if you pretend on your labels that NONE of that is going into your system and impacting your carb/sugar intake, I've got a problem with that. I don't know about any of their other products outside of their dessert bars and peanut butter cups and the like, I pretty much refuse to support the brand as a whole based on this.

Seeing Maltodextrin at the top of that list makes you wonder who was minding the store when they coupled powdered maltodextrin (and dextrose :s) with Splenda, saccharin, etc., in those finky little packets of sugar "alternatives".....
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have to travel on business next week and might not be able to eat every meal. I was looking at the bars as something to stick in my bag just in case. Am I reading it right that Quest bars are 17 carbs?
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have to travel on business next week and might not be able to eat every meal. I was looking at the bars as something to stick in my bag just in case. Am I reading it right that Quest bars are 17 carbs?

Most Quest Bars are 4-5 net carbs.

Carbs
    Minus fiber
    Minus sugar alcohol
    = Net Carbs

Some people only subtract half sugar alcohols, others all. Your call.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Most Quest Bars are 4-5 net carbs.

Carbs
    Minus fiber
    Minus sugar alcohol
    = Net Carbs

Some people only subtract half sugar alcohols, others all. Your call.

Sugar alcohols are not all created equal!

Erythritol - don't count

Malitol - count double and carry a change of underwear.... :s
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    "Atkins" morphed from a way of eating to a way of maximizing profits not long after the good doctor passed away. Real food whenever possible; factory food when there's no good alternative.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Be careful of some of the "fiber" in LC bars and such. Some of these have been shown to raise BG as much as any other carb. If you see something that says 17 carbs with 15 of them being fiber, be leery of that fiber. Isomalto-oligosaccharides are one of these, although I am sure there are others. With so many good real foods out there, I find it hard to justify chancing it when it comes to these things. I trust nature much more than chemists.
  • Jcamp8705
    Jcamp8705 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen Atkins meals for when I am too tired to cook and I’ll have them a few times a week for dinner or lunch. I buy the Atkins snack bars when I am craving sugar and just need something sweet. They work for me I enjoy them and they satisfy those cravings and actually make me feel full.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 bars today to stick in my bag for when I travel next week. If I have a bad connection at least it’s something pretty ok to have on me.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought up the artificial sweeteners point!! I was going to.

Another fun fact though, not all forms have the same additives. Maltodextrin will be my example. It has a GI of 110, and is present in many small packets of non-nutritive sweeteners (granted I don't know HOW MUCH is in a packet). However, say you get the same sweetener in liquid form. Or confectioners form. They may not have that nasty additive.

So be cautious! Some versions of products may be okay, while others aren't. I am unsure of how the low carb bars are with this.