Newbie! Keto Questions

Options
Hi all!
Keto for 8 weeks now - i'm down 15. Love it :) Lazy Keto tho.
Wine? Does anyone know of a Keto friendly wine? I've grown accustomed to the Cucumber Vodka but I miss wine when I write and edit.
TY!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think it is okay. Not as great as harder spirits but okay. Red is probably better but I honestly don't know. All I do know is that a glass of red lowers my blood glucose readings the next day. A good enough excuse. ;)
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a keto friendly wine, but if you save your carbs up you can spend them on wine without a problem depending on what your macros allow. That's what I do and it doesn't cause me any problems. I agree that red is probably better than white and carb wise you are better off with hard liquor.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I stick with chardonnay or pinot grigio for white, merlot or pinot noir for red.

cabernet savignion is also low carb, but I don't like it so I don't drink it...ditto for some champagnes, the ones I like are sweet and higher carb, but if you like dry you can find some that fit keto
  • drnriordan
    drnriordan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, even if I have enough carbs within my carb allowance, I find that wine stalls my fat burning. I've tried pinot noir (my fave), merlot and cabernet and they all seem to stall me out. I then need at least 2 to 3 days before I start losing again. YMMV, but for me, at this time, it's not worth it. Once I get to maintenance, I'll try to re-incorporate it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    drnriordan wrote: »
    For me, even if I have enough carbs within my carb allowance, I find that wine stalls my fat burning. I've tried pinot noir (my fave), merlot and cabernet and they all seem to stall me out. I then need at least 2 to 3 days before I start losing again. YMMV, but for me, at this time, it's not worth it. Once I get to maintenance, I'll try to re-incorporate it.

I hear ya on that one @drnriordan. During the weight-loss phase of my journey which lasted 22.5 months, I had the opinion that I'd worked too damn hard to get INTO nutritional ketosis just to have a silly drink knock me out of it so I gave up alcohol during that phase too. I only allowed myself a celebratory drink once I'd reached my weight-loss goal and had transitioned over into weight-maintenance. Mind you, I'm not a very big drinker...never have been...I probably drink alcohol 6 times (or less) per year IF that (shrug)...but BOY HOWDY, let me tell you the Asti I had last year around Thanksgiving tasted so damned good to me after going so long without!!!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Heya. I drink reds mainly shiraz or merlot. It does not affect my weightloss at all. I don't drink often though but when I do it is a bottle o:)
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    if you like red, Riunite Lambrusco is 4 g carbs for 6 oz. Can't help you with white's i only drink red. hope this helps.
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Skinnygirl has wines....I would suggest a white wine with club soda and a lime twist. If you have one, that is not much alcohol & carbs to overcome.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i drink 2-3 days per week if I have alcohol in the house. lol. sometimes red wine sometimes vodka and sparkling ice. wine has more carbs but if you budget for it, go for it. Obviously you'll lose more without it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    lambrusco is my favorite wine for marinating steak - so yum
  • nlauser1
    nlauser1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Louis Martini Cabernet...my favorite!
  • ivyleeger
    ivyleeger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is diabetic and he claims that Columbia Crest Cab (silver labeling) does not raise his blood sugar as much as other reds. I do not know if that correlates to less sugar/carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ash is my favorite wine loving carnivore and has written about this extensively. In short, wine is as fine as Diet Coke as long as it is a dry wine and not a sweet one. Heck, even I will have some red wine as a better alternative when I don't want straight bourbon.

https://ashsimmonds.com/2014/08/09/carbohydrates-in-wine-its-not-starch-only-residual-sugar-and-why-listings-are-wrong/
    TL;DR – the carbs in wine are mis-reported across the board because of errors in calculations in the original source data. Don’t stress about carbs in normal “dry” table wine – you have to drink ridiculous amounts for it to matter ketogenically, in which case you have other issues to worry about

Wine is fine. This isn't permission to be an alcoholic. But, the carbs are very low. If you drink a whole bottle, you might get 8g of carbs (probably less), but you also drank a whole bottle. And 8 grams shouldn't destroy your diet unless you were cutting things pretty close to start.