New: too low on calories

Options
First day on keto and had a low calorie intake....only 915 and missed the mark on protein and fat. Carbs was spot on. I was full and ate well (huge chicken Caesar salad for lunch and ground beef and cheese for dinner).

Any tips??

I normally skip breakfast but am going to try to do a couple eggs tomorrow and buy some bacon lol.

Replies

• lilchapy
    lilchapy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a bullet proof coffee for breakfast. Healthy fats and increases daily calories.
  • mcammack1952
    mcammack1952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was worried if I was too low I'd have adverse effects. I did much better today and hit my protein goal! Still under calories and fat (and carbs surprisingly!) but based on the info above I'm not going to stress it.

I'm looking forward to the hungry feeling only because it would mean my bmi is that low! Lol.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate McDonald's for lunch and taco bell for dinner, an hour later I felt hungry like I hadn't even eaten anything all day! I wish keto fast food was a thing =\ sometimes I just have to eat on the go
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Yesterday I ate McDonald's for lunch and taco bell for dinner, an hour later I felt hungry like I hadn't even eaten anything all day! I wish keto fast food was a thing =\ sometimes I just have to eat on the go

It is.
    You can get quarter pound meat patties or grilled chicken breast at McDonalds. You can even add them to a salad if you want.
    Taco Bell has a bowl type thing now I think you can get meat on lettuce with cheese. Just skip the rice and beans.
    This kind of stuff is true at most fast food restaurants
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can also get all the things on the side at TB... Meat, cheese, sauce, etc. However, I prefer Taco Bueno, which has a taco bowl that's like $4...skip the rice and beans, and it's fully keto. I love it personally. Taco Bell also has a new "naked egg" taco that's in an egg shell...

You can also get provolone wrapped in salami at Walmart or such in the ready to go deli section. They even had them in the Walgreens cooler last night... There are TONS of options for eating on the go. Lettuce wrapped sandwiches...etc. SO many options...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, wherever there is a fast food chain there is also a supermarket or convenience store in close proximity. I usually stop by either and grab some lunchmeat, cheese or pack of peanuts. It's a fairly quick option. I suppose if one is toting around children (or others), fast food would be more enjoyable for all though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Oh, and those new "lunchables" that are called 'protein power' or something are meat, cheese, and nuts... I love those things! Definitely easy to stash in the fridge and keep in a small cool pack while on the go!
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like others have said don’t worry too much about it. Especially if your trying to lose weight. Just hit the carbs and protein goals and cut back the fat some. You’ll still get into ketosis and you’ll be on the way to becoming a Ketoian(fat-adapted). Your body won’t care if the days from you or your diet.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, wherever there is a fast food chain there is also a supermarket or convenience store in close proximity. I usually stop by either and grab some lunchmeat, cheese or pack of peanuts. It's a fairly quick option. I suppose if one is toting around children (or others), fast food would be more enjoyable for all though.

I agree with the above. If there is a grocery store around, eat there. One of the things that I have fallen in love with is steamed seafood from the grocery store. It's quick, affordable and easy. Just pick a few scallops or shrimp from the fresh seafood section and then ask them to steam it with some cajun seasoning and butter or salt and pepper. Grab a fork and a nice bagged salad and eat it right out of the packet.

Some grocery stores even have salad buffets where you can grab a plate full of kale with a little cheese and low carb dressing.

I would also suggest keeping an oil and vinegar dressing with you as often as possible. Then you can roll through a mcdonalds and get a salad with a hamburger on top or chicken breast and have your own dressing. Now the fats at mcdonalds are not going to be healthy fats neccesarily, but you will still stay keto and that is what is most important.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »

I agree with the above. If there is a grocery store around, eat there. One of the things that I have fallen in love with is steamed seafood from the grocery store. It's quick, affordable and easy. Just pick a few scallops or shrimp from the fresh seafood section and then ask them to steam it with some cajun seasoning and butter or salt and pepper. Grab a fork and a nice bagged salad and eat it right out of the packet.

Some grocery stores even have salad buffets where you can grab a plate full of kale with a little cheese and low carb dressing.

I would also suggest keeping an oil and vinegar dressing with you as often as possible. Then you can roll through a mcdonalds and get a salad with a hamburger on top or chicken breast and have your own dressing. Now the fats at mcdonalds are not going to be healthy fats neccesarily, but you will still stay keto and that is what is most important.

@Goal179 - What on earth kind of grocery stores do you have near you that steam seafood for you - much less to order??? I've never heard of that in all my life. And only in specialty stores do we have anything resembling a salad buffet, which means you're paying an arm and three legs for a meal... What's your secret?
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fast food is never a problem almost anywhere can be keto friendly enough. Places like jimmy johns have the unwich and even five guys has lettuce wrapped burgers. Just have to be creative at some places. I’m never hangry so I can usually just do 1/2 a meal in a pinch and top off when I’m home or able to grab a keto friendly meal/snack. Seeds and nuts are your friends, you can carry them with you in pre-measured servings, what I do. Grocery stores are great places you can grab tub of spinach, an avocado, deli/canned meats and some nuts/seed and just about reach and macros you want. And only takes a few minutes to grab.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    @KnitroMiss - I know that sounds crazy. LOL!!!! I never knew about it either. I just learned that my grocery store will do it. You have to ask. My grocery store is Publix. The steaming is absolutely free with any seasoning you wish. You just pay for the seafood itself - usually about $7 or $8 bucks depending on what you get and how much. I love a 1/2 pound of scallops or crab legs. I used to spend $11 bucks just at McDonalds, so the cost is not too bad for me. Regarding the salad, it can be pricey because the salad is sold by the pound. To keep your costs low, follow some of these tricks 1) Skip the dressing and just use your own or buy some from the store. Dressing is heavy. 2)Load up on Leafy greens and stuff as much as you can in the container, they don't weigh much at all 3) Add the lighter meats such as bacon and sliced ham instead of the heavy cubed style meats or meat salads 4) Load up on cheese, it's pretty light. Again, I typically spend about $6 bucks on my salad. Still cheaper than McDonalds...at least for me. My main point here is try heading to the grocery store while you are out instead of a typical fast food place. You might be presently surprised at what you can put together. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    @Goal179 Not exactly sure where you are but know you're kinda on the
    East Coast like me and most likely in a fast growing area (like me). Isn't it awesome how these supermarkets are so competitive in price and service? I have 4 supermarkets I can walk to for my daily exercise that are in the 5 mile round trip walking distance. And in a few weeks a Whole Foods will open on my side of town (3 miles away) AND next year Wegman's is opening 2 miles away. Wooohoo for me. Another store to add to my Wed AM "scour the weekly ads" for sale items. I love Wegman's. I'm pretty confident they'll steam to order since they will have a sit down restaurant (as most do).

Ad shopping has been my "thing" for years. This week (just finished going through the ads): Fresh Market has salmon @ $7.99/pound, Lowe's Foods has grass fed ribeyes (whole-I know how to use a knife-LOL) @ $4.97/lb and Publix has Mt. Olive pickles BOGO. All of them will cut the whole rib eyes but I like to do it. When they are "bone in" I cut some as small (~3-4 pound) standing rib roasts and some as steaks.

The other great thing about where I am is the # of international markets. Especially Indian and Asian. Woot!
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Goal179 wrote: »

@Goal179 - What on earth kind of grocery stores do you have near you that steam seafood for you - much less to order??? I've never heard of that in all my life. And only in specialty stores do we have anything resembling a salad buffet, which means you're paying an arm and three legs for a meal... What's your secret?

We have them near me, Whole Foods and Publix both do seafood. It's great, we also have Ingles and Earth Fare that have other made to order foods and all of them have salad bars. Great resources! I live in Asheville, NC.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so you should probably check with your doctor, but I've done intermitten fasting a lot in the past and noticed my calorie levels don't cut it for myfitnesspal diary to save as well sometimes. I don't sweat it, I just click on my dinner meal again, so it looks like I ate it twice and allows me to save. Most of us though can fast without damaging our bodies, so while I understand liability wise myfitnesspal wants you to achieve a certain number of calories, I think many of us have extra fat that we won't perish if we don't meet the calorie guidelines for the day.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Vladaar wrote: »
    I don't sweat it, I just click on my dinner meal again, so it looks like I ate it twice and allows me to save.

Yup me too, if I don't hit my calories I add fictional snacks until it's happy! I'm fairly sure it will balance out as I'm unlikely to go for days and days under eating!!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you know if you just want to add calories there is an entry for a calorie in there
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Quick add calories, added, diary closed, then deleted for accuracy...
  • kpk54
    Options
    You really don't even have to "complete" your food diary. It does nothing other than provide the silly "if you ate like this for 5 weeks...." thing. I guess if you're intent on announcing completion to your newsfeed to your pals, then you'd need to add calories to the food diary in order for it to process/complete. I've not "completed" my diary in over 3 years. It doesn't alter your "streak". My streak is over 1600 days despite not completing/announcing my food diary. I keep my food dairy open to pals. If they want to view what I eat it is there to see.

Adding fictitious entries is like "the tail wagging the dog"...to me.