October 4 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    m6smja57ha6b.jpg
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    October 4
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5 Km in 38 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Good time again today. Again under 38 mins.

Weather definitely getting warmer here.

I am a big advocate of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Best results in the shortest time, but it must be done properly. As advocated, get a coach or read books or reference information on it.

A big part of HIIT is adequate rest. Do not ignore this part.

The 20 mins a day keeps a good static level. Mix it up with HIIT and you will make gains in those same 20 mins a day.

In fact most of the gains in my walking times have been after a period of HIIT training. (I follow a HIIT period, with a few weeks of routine to solidify the gains, then HIIT it again).

HIIT is akin to progressive overload (a technique body builders use to increase size and strength). Progressive overload, like HIIT, needs to be managed carefully to avoid overtraining. This means once you get to higher levels of performance, HIIT needs to be cycled to avoid injury or "burning out".

Feel good interest story from today for me:

FPV quadcopter is now flying again. (Yay!! - Had been grounded since a speed controller went up in flames mid-flight over a week ago). I had to learn how to solder in small spaces around heat sensitive components without burning things (tougher than it first seemed - Yay, new skill learned). Hope to get some time tomorrow to take it for a longer fly.
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @aeshippers Your story today is a great example of Murphy's Law.
    @2020pinktogo The outhouse prize made me laugh. Too cute.
    @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 Thanks for sharing your HIIT knowledge and experience.

The one thing that has been added to my gym workout is doing two sets of 100 skips. After 100 skips it takes me a couple of minutes to recover. However, in July I was only doing two sets of 40 skips. I have also added rowing to my workout. I have gone from 5 mins to 10 mins. @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 is this considered the beginnings of HIIT?
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    4-September-2017

Great information about interval training, @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 !

I love high intensity workouts and have done them for years. They give you fantastic cardiovascular conditioning and absolutely help you get lean and toned.

I used to do the training at the gym, but now I do circuit training at home and incorporate all kinds high intensity moves--skipping rope, jumping jacks, plyometric, step ups, and the likes. As others have said, it is imperative to take the rest breaks. I usually do a brisk walk or jog during my 30 seconds of rest. Sometimes, I just do NOTHING during my rest time.

LOL!!! I got tired of trying to keep track of my intervals, on my tiny wrist watch, so I purchased a 'boxing/cage fighting' timer. It has BIG digits, loud alerts, and lets me set my work and rest intervals.

I highly recommend interval training...just get some help from a trainer, or read up about it, before you start.

Cheers:)

4-October-2017

Exercise: yes, very brisk power walk for about an hour

Calories: yes, I'm under my goal

Tracking: yes, I've tracked it all
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercised: Yes. (50 minutes normal pace walk to and back from the university.)
    Calories: Yes. (1,054 for 1200 max)
    Tracking: Yes.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Got a little behind! :#
    Oct 2, 3 & 4
    Exercise: Move app (body weight exercises every 30 min from 9-6pm all three days and today add a 25 min run
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
    Trying to get back into the swing of things!
  • ShelleyMJ46
    ShelleyMJ46 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Exercise: yes, 30 minute walking
    Calories: under
    Track: yes
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes...45 minute walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Dosse1320 wrote: »
    @aeshippers Your story today is a great example of Murphy's Law.
    @2020pinktogo The outhouse prize made me laugh. Too cute.
    @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 Thanks for sharing your HIIT knowledge and experience.

The one thing that has been added to my gym workout is doing two sets of 100 skips. After 100 skips it takes me a couple of minutes to recover. However, in July I was only doing two sets of 40 skips. I have also added rowing to my workout. I have gone from 5 mins to 10 mins. @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 is this considered the beginnings of HIIT?

@Dosse1320. HIIT involves brief intervals of very intense work, then longer interval of less intense work (or even rest).

During high intensity, you work anaerobically (you consume more oxygen than you can breath in) and your heart rate generally climbs to above 85% of maximum.

In your example, the 2 sets of 100 are high intensity with the recovery period in-between. But you would do maybe 3 to 4 sets of these in a day (maybe 15 mins total activity - 2-3 mins rest between sets), then take a day off. So yes, this the beginning of HIIT. (I am assuming 100 skips takes in maybe a minute to 90 seconds).

Rowing uses different muscles, but can still be crafted to a HIIT style work out. 60-120 seconds at max effort followed by rest (or active recovery), 3 or 4 intervals of this.

Only doing this every second or third day is important too. Recovery time is vital.
  • ssaschaa
    ssaschaa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Exercise - Yes, fast paced 60 min walk to work instead of catching public transport.
    Calories - Yes, was about 200 calories under my goal but struggling to stick to my carb goal.
    Tracking - Yes

This is the first month that I've been apart of this challenge and I'm really loving it so far. I feel like just knowing that I have to check in each day makes me so much more motivated to achieve my goals and stick to my plan. Thanks and good luck to everyone else in achieving their goals this month.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    This was a recovery day, so I did walk at 3 mph for 27 minutes. Tomorrow, I intend to do a more traditional cardio workout with the treadmill and rowing machine.
    Calories: under by a bit
    Tracking: good. It kept me from having another glass of wine.
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes,yes,yes. Light housework
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 30 min jog, strength training class and 10k steps.

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Yes under.

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?
    Yes.