Tournament time again

Options
Just registered for my next tournament - Open tournament with 40 schools invited. This is gonna be fun!
6n8z3npdifmx.png

Replies

• mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow. Big tournament! Good luck!
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cool! I'm going to my first one next month! I'm pretty excited!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    That's a big one! You can do it, train hard to make the fight easy!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fantastic! How many competitors? I'm in the state of MS so we average 100-130 competitors during tournament season. It used to be a lot bigger in the hey day, from what I'm told. I'm from California, however, so I can imagine that the tournament has a much higher competitor count!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fantastic! How many competitors? I'm in the state of MS so we average 100-130 competitors during tournament season. It used to be a lot bigger in the hey day, from what I'm told. I'm from California, however, so I can imagine that the tournament has a much higher competitor count!

I don't know.. I've heard it's a pretty big turn-out. The fact that it's being run in a convention center is pointing to a pretty good turnout.. that venue is 10k square feet, and they are requiring all judges attend clinics that are being offered in 5 different seminars. I would guess at least 200 competitors.
  • AuthorNinja
    Options
    Wow, it already sounds like it's at a much bigger scale. Are they offering cash/prizes to the black belts who compete and win? Are there grand champions? Sorry, I'm trying to compare how other states do karate tournaments versus the one I know.

In Mississippi, there's an organization called the MKA (Miss. Karate Association) and there are 5 tournaments held once every month across the state, run by members of the board who are instructors who have taught karate in the state for a looooong time. Anyway, you can join the organization, compete for points, and at the end of the year we have a banquet and give out jackets and plaques and all that good stuff. In the tournaments, the black belts can get grand champion if they spar. The executive men will fight the younger men and executive women fight the younger women etc so there's only one GC for both. It's the most fun to watch!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, no purses offered for this tournament, but I have heard the competition does get fierce.

I like the Grand Championship idea - sounds like a lot of fun!
  • AuthorNinja
    Options
    It is! Please keep an update after the tournament, I'd like to hear how it goes! I love tournament stories, hehe :D
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very exciting, good luck! :)