Weekly Post 8.10 - 15.10 2017

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,976 Member
Good morning all!

Hope everybody is well! Happy Thanksgiving Canadian friends! :)

I will be back shortly with a post. Just wanted to get us started for now.

Replies

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hello all.

I hope everybody had a great weekend.
    It flew by for me. LOL Ran a bunch of errands on Saturday - the usual grocery shopping and stuff. Got to the gym both Saturday and Sunday which is good. Saturday night we went out to one of our favorite Italian restaurants and we both had pasta for dinner. We miss pasta. Yummy!

Sunday I cooked two meals. Light Day dinner for the week as well as a vegetarian butternut squash and black bean chili that I was "meh" about. We will see how the flavors meld. When I first tasted it, right out of the crock pot I was not so impressed. But, then I added a few more of the spices, let it sit, and then served it up. That helped. I added a little more of the squash but I found that it made a HUGE portion, which turned it into an 8 serving dinner instead of 6. Since I saw it was filling the crock pot quite a bit, I reduced the number of cans of black beans I put in. I put in two cans instead of three. Which in turn lowered the calories quite a bit, even accounting for a little more butternut squash. Next time we have it for leftovers I'll probably serve it over brown rice or quinoa.

If I make it again, I won't put in as many fireroasted tomatoes and as much butternut squash. And I will do the same amount of beans, two cans. And less or no liquid either. I prefer a less liquidy chili. Since it was so low calorie (under 200) we topped ours with a little bit of shredded sharp cheddar. It was pretty good.

In case anybody wants to try it, here is the recipe I made. I don't know who she is fooling by saying that her recipe would serve 4 to 6 people. :o

http://www.simple-veganista.com/2012/10/butternut-squash-and-black-bean-chili.html

Today is a Light Day for me. Got my water cup full. Going to have a green tea in a bit.

Speak with you all soon! Enjoy your day.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Morning! I’m recouping from the enormous turkey dinner I prepared last night! Omg so much work, but there are lots of leftovers. I cooked Brussels two different ways... boiled whole, and quartered with diced yams sautéed in my cast iron skillet to carmelize them... adding onion powder & pepper... quite a hit! I ate a little more of everything than I wanted but I only had a protein shake with almond milk at 10am so I was hungry.

I also had a real official fast day on Saturday too!! (Probably the reason I was so hungry by last nights dinner time!) Clocked in at 430 cals.... Sat afternoon I made some veggie bean soup in a huge pot and portioned that out into freezer containers.... so proud! Such a great fast day meal for me because it’s so filling.

Thank you Meghan, thanksgiving comes in at a good time here for me... I’m quite thankful for this site and forum!!!

Have a great day people, and I’ll be checking in and logging my food all week, getting back on track now!! If I could do emojis on my phone here, I would sign off with the halo over my head followed by a winky face!! Ha!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hello :) After lots of eating all through weekend, I'm back on fasting today. So far so good. When I did the 5:2 in 2014...I couldn't do back to back fasting. But something has changed. I think although I haven't been a regular, I've skipped meals so often, the hunger is no longer an issue. Like my body has slowly gotten used to it. Just as a heads up for newcomers. The "rules" you set for yourself are only guides. Sometimes meandering along a zigzaggy road is both physically and mentally easier than forcing outcomes.

As mentioned last week by several members, an effortless maintenance is the real prize! Good luck everyone :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hello all. My fast days this week are to be tues/thurs.

I was sick this weekend so didn’t eat anywhere near my regular day target calories, but I think I was in bed all but 3 hours on Saturday so I doubt I was expending much energy either. I feel much closer to normal today, and appetite appears back on track. I won’t go to gym today to swim, but I’ll just go for a nice walk later to keep things moving.

For accountability purposes, I started 5:2 last week at a weight of 167. I’m starting out eating approx the same weekly calories as I had been losing close to .5lb a week. It would sure be nice if I could lose a bit closer to 1 lb a week but I am not counting on it. I am 5’3+ in height and at 53 I am post menopausal. I will re-evaluate 5:2 and my calorie intake at the beginning of each month to try to figure out what is best for me.

I wish you all a great week!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Today was going to be a fast day... but it was just too much Monday! Oh, well, there's always tomorrow. :) I am having trouble getting back in the swing of fasting.
    I weighed in and I was only up less than half a pound for the last two weeks. I am calling that a major win.
    I hope you all have a great week!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good to see everyone checking in, especially the newbies.

@ryenday - hope you are recovering nicely!
    @Meghan509 - Your posts make me want to do a potluck with you all!
    @mamainthekitchen - Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all had a warm and fulfilling time.
    @Foamroller - I like to dream of effortless maintenance! That would be beautiful.
    @KateNkognito - Each day is a new day to start fresh!

Had my fast day today. Making it through so I can't complain.
  • ryenday
    Options
    Fast day today. The last one was quite hard and took a lot of discipline to complete. Hoping it is, at the least, no more difficult (and maybe better?) today. But realistically I know it is only my second fast day so I must prepare for a tough time of it.

Still, being used to 16:8 eating as my normal, does, I think, make the 5:2 less difficult.

For today’s meal I have veggie soup, chicken breast meat, broccoli, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and carrot all prepared and ready to heat (if applicable). 478 calories and prelogged. I do not like to meal plan and pre log on regular days, but it makes me feel in control on fast days, at least now in the beginning.

Have a great day, all!
  • Meghan509
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good morning all!

So great to see everybody checking in. Love it! :# Sounds like everybody is getting back on track, fasting, and doing pretty well! Love to hear it. Where to begin...

@mamainthekitchen glad you enjoyed your turkey! I am looking forward to our Thanksgiving too. I love turkey!! You said the magic word - brussel sprouts. LOL I came across a nice recipe yesterday so I thought I'd share. It doesn't say, so I asked - use 1 pound of the organic chicken sausage if you are interested in making it. Not bad for calories as well. Makes six servings and each one is 286 calories. I am missing pasta big time time and I love the fall flavors so I am thinking of trying it this weekend. Here you go!

http://www.thehealthytoast.com/cheesy-pumpkin-and-roasted-brussels-sprouts-pasta-bake/

@Foamroller hope you have a good week! I know what you mean about how your body changes. On Light Days I used to get hungry in the afternoons, before 5pm the end of the work day. Now I really don't. My body has definitely gotten more used to less and Light Days have gotten easier. Definitely less hungry which is nice. I never dread light days. I thought I would. When I first started I bought a bunch of little snacks expecting to be hungry. Never touched them! You learn a lot about yourself when you fast, that is for sure.

@ryenday I hope you are feeling better! Sounds like you have a great plan. I am similar to you in weight and height. I am 5'4", 175, 45 years old. Still regular TOM happening here for me... I think 5:2 will help you shake things up and lose a little more.
    I am the reverse of you. I started 5:2 first, back in late March and then added in the IF 16:8 eating window. They work nicely if you do them together. Not that you have to of course. :) I found it helped me since I can be a tough loser. The exercise also helps me. The light days do get easier as you do them. Planning ahead helps greatly. If you are busy during the day that helps too! I drink lots of water and green tea. I also have a little coffee with milk in the AM. Yesterday I had a Coke Zero in the afternoon. Once in a while I like one of those to fill me up and it is sweet like a regular Coke, but no calories. :smiley:

Hi @KateNkognito and @jknight001 sounds like you two ladies are doing well too! :)

Light Day went well yesterday. Today and tomorrow are regular days. Tomorrow night I won't go crazy during the day for lunch because I have a Retirement Party to attend tomorrow night for an old colleague. I am looking forward to celebrating her 29 years with my past employer and seeing a lot of people from my last job who I have not seen in a while. I am a little nervous about what they will have for food. I don't like to go overboard during the week. *sigh*

Have a good day! See you soon.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have not checked in for a while so here we are. I am now 3 weeks post Pacemaker implant and it seems to be settling down well. I am walking most days and have tried a static bike twice the first time was fairly uncomfortable with my heart rate being all over the place. Yesterday it was a bit more disciplined and did what was asked except for a lift in the pulse rate it only went up to 74 I wanted it to get up to mid 80's but it would just not go any higher. Oh well, it is still fairly early days.

Today is a fast day and am doing ok only had a hot choc and a carrot to crunch so far, this evening will be chicken and bacon casserole with squash and greens.

Have a good week everyone.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Morning! I’m fasting today too! Always find comfort knowing someone somewhere is doing this too! My husband does not! Sigh. @ryenday hope you’re feeling better to fast today

Meghan that’s quite the recipe... thanks for sharing, I find it funny how Brussels sprouts have made there way onto the trendy restaurant menus in recent years!! Roasting them is the best, and incorporating them into casseroles is a great idea! Also, just had to chuckle at your mention of concern over what to eat when at this retirement with people you haven’t seen for a while.... you could instead, check out their faces at how great you’re going to look after all this working out and weight loss!!! Haha .... have samples of the yummy stuff and stay out of the dessert tray... and enjoy, you’re going to look awesome!

Geoff it’s really good to hear you’re doing so well... slow & steady!

Ahhhh and finally.... effortless maintenance????? I’m usually an optimist, but that’s a concept foreign to my brain. I’m singing Steven Tyler’s Dream on... Dream On.... DREAM ON DREAM ON!! :wink:

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hey all, I'm also glad to see others fasting today! Tuesday and Thursday will be my fast days except for random weeks, like (American) Thanksgiving. No way am I fasting on Thanksgiving!

So far today I had coffee first thing, then coffee with a friend I haven't talked to in a while, then soup just now. I feel good. I'm busy but not drinking that much water, which I know I'll need to ramp up if I don't want to feel like I'm about to start gnawing on my arm by the time I leave the office.

Last Friday I did Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5K and rocked it! I didn't walk at all during the running portions, which is HUGE for me. Unfortunately I was lazy over the weekend and didn't run again. I thought about it last night, but it was still 80 degrees out and mega humid from raining all day (I live in coastal SC). I had already planned to run tonight, so I figured why have what I know will be a miserable run? Makes we really look forward to the winter months when I worry about keeping my ears warm during a run, and that's about it.

As for eating over the weekend, I didn't log but didn't go overboard or anything. I won't be weighing in until at least tomorrow morning.

General question for you all... This is week two of 5:2 for me. Since I fast on Tues/Thurs, it feels like I have a million days in between when I'm eating like 1700 calories. It just feels like 5:2 is not enough, that I should be doing 4:3 (the same 3 days every week, not ADF). I know I just need to get out of my head and stick with 5:2, but does anyone else who is trying to lose weight ever feel that way, even after some time doing 5:2? Or will this feeling wear off?
  • ryenday
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

General question for you all... This is week two of 5:2 for me. Since I fast on Tues/Thurs, it feels like I have a million days in between when I'm eating like 1700 calories. It just feels like 5:2 is not enough, that I should be doing 4:3 (the same 3 days every week, not ADF). I know I just need to get out of my head and stick with 5:2, but does anyone else who is trying to lose weight ever feel that way, even after some time doing 5:2? Or will this feeling wear off?

Hey there! Glad to see you! We started 5:2 the same week, both are doing tues/thurs except for occasions like Tgiving, so I actually look forward to you posts to keep me motivated!

I know what you mean, even tho my weekly calories are going to be on point- Fri-Mon as four subsequent days at increased calories seems (mentally) sinful. I’ve decided to 1) Mostly ignore that for a month. I will have data in a month to support or refute that feeling, hopefully. 2) I’m regularly a 16:8 eater. I’m going to do 20:4 on Sundays in October to help that ‘too many indulgent days’ feeling. Not actually going to change up my calories too much, although I expect I’ll be a couple hundred light most Sundays. This month has almost 0 scheduled social activities planned for my husband and I so it is a good month for this type of experiment.

Mostly, I’m going to ‘trust the system’ for at least a month.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi everybody! Good morning and Happy Wednesday. The week is moving along, isn't it?!

@Marmitegeoff good to see that the pacemaker is settling in and you are doing some fasting. Hope you are feeling better and getting on well. :)

@mamainthekitchen isn't it funny how brussel sprouts are having a moment lately?! Glad you liked the recipe. I think I am going to make it this weekend, because I am really missing pasta lately. *sniffle* I have found that either you love brussels or you hate them. LOL I tend to love them but sometimes I will mention them and people say, "ewwwww" LOLOL. I do remember eating them as a kid and they were typically the frozen variety and they were boiled or steamed. I still ate them and liked them. Now they are having a moment where we roast them (as you mentioned) and OMG I could eat them this way every night!!
    Thanks for what you said about the retirement party! Yes, there will be people who haven't seen me in a while and who haven't seen that I have lost a fair amount of weight and I should just enjoy myself and enjoy the yummy food. What I did notice is that the venue is one that specializes in farm to table dining. Says on their website: "seasonal menus created from the lovely farms in the area that grow for us." So no worrying about a bunch of frozen pigs in a blanket on a plate. (Not that I don't appreciate some of those once in a while). ;)

@RBXChas amen sister - there will be no light day for us on American Thanksgiving either! LOL My guy and I do this together, so when I say us, I mean my BF and I. :) We typically do our Light Days on Mondays and Thursdays, so we will probably do Monday and Wednesday that week.
    The other time I see a change will be during Christmas. We will be in FL visiting family for ten days. We could do Light Days in FL though, as I like to cook dinner for everyone (could always make something low calorie for us) and we won't want to go nuts and gain. We shall see what we decide to do and how the actual holidays fall when that time comes.
    In regards to your question about is 5:2 enough. I know what you mean. I have always kept that in my mind as I have gone through the weeks on this program. Always wondering to myself am I eating too much? Am I eating enough? Are my weekend "free meals" too much? I love Dr. Mosely but I wish he was a little more structured on what to do on non light days. Some people eat at their TDEE level. Others at another calorie level that works for them. I have done 1350-1400 for the past few months with a few tweaks. I do exercise and don't eat those calories back and I do the free meals Friday and Saturday nights.
    I also do a 16:8 eating window everyday 12pm to 8pm or 1pm to 9pm or somewhere in the middle. Adding in the IF eating window is when I noticed the weight coming off more consistently. Hope that helps.

@ryenday I think you have a good plan set up for yourself. A month is a good gauge to see what works. You could also still do your IF eating window 16:8 if that has worked for you in the past. I found it helped me greatly. For me, I have coffee with a little milk in the AM, no sugar. Note, before I was putting coconut sugar in my coffee and still losing.
    I recently stopped sugar when my weight loss slowed down. I also stopped eating fruit, but I may or may not add a little back in down the road. I just want to keep seeing weight loss is all. I still have 35 pounds to go until my goal and I don't want it to drag on forever! Just my .02 as to what has worked for me.

Have a good one everybody! I am looking forward to the retirement party dinner tonight. I am wearing a pair of black trousers that have thin white pinstripes and a blue top with bell sleeves. Slimming. B)

• RBXChas
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Meghan509 thank you! I am still in the 16:8 habit, so although I had intended to do 5:2 first and then overlay 16:8, I'm doing both. Why get out of the habit if it's not killing me to do it? Good luck with the travels (and I mean that honestly). If you are the one in control of the food, then you should be good to go. We do Thanksgiving with my husband's family, who all generally eat pretty healthily, and we only see them day of. Christmas is my downfall every year, so I am going to have to grow some willpower. We have certain treats that we make every Christmas, and we have young kids, so it would be sad for them not to make them. But I think my husband may be jumping on the bandwagon. He's not overweight but sometimes gets a little bit of a belly, so if he does 5:2 for, like, a week, he'll be good to go ;)

@ryenday I will send you a FR. I think you have your head right about this... I am going to trust the process and see how I do after a month or so. I think I am just anxious to lose quickly, plus I just have this nagging voice telling me I'm eating too much on my higher days. It's hard to break that "as few calories as possible (up to a point), every day" mindset. For the record, I'm 37F/218 at the moment/5'7". Not sure if I ever shared that.
  • Meghan509
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You are welcome @RBXChas I am glad we can all help each other. That is what these great sites are for. :) Don't worry about the holidays, we will be here for each other!
    Christmas is tough on me too. I love to eat all the things I shouldn't and all the desserts my Mom loves to make (more on that below)... Maybe you can still make the treats for the kids, but just make smaller batches so once you give them out they are done and out of the house quicker?
    I know what you mean about men and weight loss. I have seen it with women too where they can eat what they want, and get a little belly and then buckle down for a bit and boom it comes off. Used to work with a girl who ate candy bars every day and was thin as a rail. Ugh!

Thanks! When we travel down to FL for Christmas we stay with my Mom and Step Dad, so I sort of feel like my home away from home. I am originally from up here in New England but both sets of parents moved down to FL. Dad and Step Mom are down in FL too. We will see them as well. My Mom is not a big fan of cooking anymore, unless it is baking numerous unhealthy desserts and baked goods. *screams* I am okay with a little dessert, but we will not be going overboard! Stating that NOW in October, wayyy before Christmas. o:)
    Each year for the holidays we will cook and eat as many meals as we can or want at home, so I am always in control. We go out a few times for dinner to places we like, otherwise we keep it low key. It can get expensive too if we are not careful. So if I plan well, I think we can eat pretty healthy when we are at home. Then we'll have the typical holidays where I will be sure to have stuff that I like that might be forbidden (appetizers, bread, pasta, wine, beer, etc.) but we will get by!
    For Thanksgiving we will stay around here in NY with my boyfriend's family, extended family, close friends, etc. Depends on if his parents will be around. My BF is expecting a new nephew out in Arizona in November so not sure what the plans are yet for his parents. I know they are flying out there for the birth. Thanksgiving will only be the big meal for dinner and then back on track. We will be in town so we'll go to the gym and stick to our normal schedule for the most part.

Look at that, this turned in to a long post - sorry about that!
    Okay, enough babbling (typing) almost time to sign off for the night. Check in with you guys tomorrow. :)
  • ryenday
    Options
    Yesterday wasn’t too bad, but I disliked the veggie soup I had, so I’ll have to try a different soup tomorrow. Was very hungry by lunch today. And, actually still am hungry even though I had a pretty big lunch. I’d rather not snack tho, I have a nice dinner planned.

The holidays coming was one of the impetus for my deciding to try 5:2. I know myself. There is no way I’d ever be able to eat anywhere in the vicinity of 1200 calories a day during December. (1400-1450 maintenance wouldn’t be much of an improvement either). I’d give up the diet all together from the guilt, most likely.

But, I think I have a much better chance to keep the 2 low calorie days each week. That will give me some wiggle room calories above 1200 AND might mitigate any indulgent days. I think my December goal is going to be to NOT gain weight and keep 5:2. That should give me close to 1800 calories a day on the five days and I’ll allow myself 2 or 3 days to just eat and enjoy whatever in that month as well.

In other words, I’m hoping to have 5:2 as a tool in my arsenal to allow me to enjoy the season yet not do my self any long lasting harm (i.e. giving up because it is too depressing and hard). Mentally, 5:2 (with the calorie levels on the five days able to be at a level I find satisfying,) just doesn’t feel as restrictive as 7 mediocre ‘regulation’ diet days. And that, I think, will not only get me through the holiday season, but should help me enjoy the season too!

Well, that’s the plan, anyways. Lol.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Agreed, my holiday goal is not to gain weight!

Today is a fasting day, and I have some soup plus a protein bar just in case I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't eat something else before I go get the kids from school (which happened to me last Thursday). I have a few Progresso Light soups, which is what I've been eating, and I can tell that these are going to get old, fast. Plus I really don't like having all that sodium. I'll probably have to start making some chili or something in the crockpot... I'm checking the pinned posts for meal ideas. Frankly, I should probably head up to Moe's one of these days and get a close talker for like 300 calories (I don't use dressing but load up on the pico de gallo), which is a lot of volume. I'm admittedly a volume eater, so I really like getting that when I can. Then I can have a protein bar later and be on point for a low day.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all! Hope everybody is well.

Last night was a lot of fun. I honestly didn't eat that much which was a bit of a surprise. There were passed appetizers pretty much all night vs. a sit down dinner. So I had a nibble of this and a nibble of that. Most stuff was on the healther side. I had two small glasses of red wine that I nursed all night! When I got home I drank some water.

It was good to see a lot of old colleagues and friends and to wish my former colleague well. A 29 year career and riding off in to the sunset. She seemed in very good spirits and very excited about her next chapter with her husband and two grown girls.
    A couple people said to me. Hey, you look great - you lost weight?! ;) That felt good.

In reading your two posts above, I can say that having recipes that I like and enjoy are what I have found really help make me successful on 5:2. I love to cook and I have always been known to have a cook book arsenal on hand so whenever I start a new plan I always hit the book store or now it is the internet to see what I can find. I have two HUGE binders at home filled with recipes of stuff that I have cooked or want to cook some day. Most of the stuff I find lately is via Pinterest. There are a lot of great bloggers and sites out there. I pinned a couple new dinner soups and stews recently that have been in heavy rotation at our house. This week we are having the Low Calorie Highland Stew and it honesly tastes like a non Light Day Meal!
    We typically do a salad for lunch with light cheese or beans for protein and then we will have a low calorie soup or stew for dinner. A back up plan if I don't have time to cook would be a veggie burger (Dr. Praeger's California burger is a fav) and a side of veggies. Yep, we have been pretty eating the same type of thing for lunch over the months for Light Days, but we find that the salads are pretty good and don't get too boring. Just changing up the dinners are key.

I surprised myself and taught myself that I am able to survive on 500 calories a day, without a) starving to death (being dramatic here LOL) or b) wanting to harm someone. If you asked me before 5:2 if I could do this I may have said I don't know, I'm not sure what will I do with that little food.

I am also a volume eater. Fill up that plate! Seconds!? Sure, why not! Sigh... Not anymore. I have always been a dinner person. Love the feeling after a long day, relaxing with a nice full belly after dinner. (Not good for me, I know...)

I am a little worried about today and how it will go (Light Day) since I didn't have a substanial dinner last night. I am a firm believer in a good dinner the night before a Light Day to help get you through. Onward and upward and hoping for the best and a lower number on the scale tomorrow!

Have a good day everybody! Speak with you all soon! :)
  • ryenday
    Options
    Oh, it was a Progresso light soup I had Tuesday- ridiculously heavy on sodium and ridiculously low on taste. I’m not much of a cook, but I’m pretty sure I could have done better!

Today is my second light day of the week, also, but I had an errand in the next town over so I’ve not had a chance to a) get hungry or b) plan dinner. I know I have cucumber/zucchini and carrots in the house, but I’m out of fresh spinach, only frozen. I do have chicken breast cooked up already so maybe a stir fry type of thing ... hmm. Well, no biggie, I’m sure I can think of something good. I’m gonna scout the soup aisle when I go shopping this weekend tho!

Have a great day, all!
  • Meghan509
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good morning all!
    I am down .8 pounds this week, which I am cool with since I had that party on Wednesday night and I ate who knows how many calories?! And I had wine... All good. :)
    Hope everybody is good and those who were fasting had a good day yesterday. My day went pretty well. I was surprised that I was not really hungry at all in the afternoon which was nice. I thought I might be, given the fact that I didn't have a "real" dinner the night before.
    Looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Nothing much planned. Still haven't moved our clothes over for the season yet and today is brrr 60's. But, this weekend it is supposed to be back in the 70's -80's, and warm next week so I can still procrastinate! :p
    Hope you are all well.
    Speak with you soon.