Not getting into ketosis?

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I've been doing keto off and on for probably 3 years now. I was off track for about 6 months and got back into it about 2 months ago now. Last time I lost a bit then stalled for ages and never fully got into ketosis due to the occasional cheat or too many 'keto friendly' baked goods etc. This time I was determined to stick to my macros, follow the rules and maintain a constant level of ketosis if possible.

Heres my issue. Using the blood strips I am rarely in ketosis. Yesterday I had 9 total carbs for the whole day and ended the day at 0.2. Today I'm higher but still under 20 total carbs and I was 0.3 at lunch time & now at night, after not haven eaten for 9 hours, I'm back at 0.2. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions????

Ps and in case you're wondering I've gained and lost the same 5 lbs over the last 2 months, and as of this morning was right back at the start with no pounds at all lost since I restarted, no inches either.

Replies

• 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You should watch the Dr. Berg videos on youtube.
    He has lots of videos on the keto diet.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEXglHDrPs&list=PLFtHPh2q7ljOgQGgBX_ShhfQ5QpyIrDuQ
    How Long Does it Take to Get Into Ketosis?

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M23vP6GAovg
    The Biggest Mistake Doing Ketosis
  • kristafb
    Options
    I've watched these. But honestly should it really take months to get into ketosis? Everywhere I've looked I see 3-7 days. I'm going for bloodwork today, maybe something is off
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert. But, my understanding is that it can take 1-5 days to get into and stabilize into ketosis depending on how strict you are with your carbs and how much glycogen stores you have that need to be depleted. Ketosis occurs very quickly after your glycogen stores are depleted, typically within 16-24 hours. However remaining in ketosis can take a couple more days as your body tries to figure out what is going on and why it isn't getting yummy sugar any more. Your body may be confused for a few more days even after your glycogen stores are depleted and possibly may still release insulin from a different source (hormones) which will affect ketosis.

Now secondly, there is a huge difference between ketosis and fat adaptation. You are very correct when you say it should not take weeks or months to get into ketosis. That should happen in several days as I mentioned above. It does, however, take weeks even months to become fully fat adapted. Many people confuse being in ketosis with being fat adapted. If I am not mistaken (you experts out there please correct me where I am wrong), you can drop out of ketosis but still be fat adapted. But just because you are in ketosis doesn't mean you are fat adapted. Confused yet? LOL.

SO if someone told you it takes weeks to get into ketosis, this may be what they are referring to. I see the terms "ketosis" and "fat adapted" used interchangeably, even though they are not the same thing. Your main goal here should be fat adaptation, not just ketosis. I look at Ketosis as a good solid sign that you are nutritionally doing what you need to do in order to build enzymes needed for fat adaptation.

Third, double check your diary and make sure there are no evil carbs hidden in your food. For example, I just found out yesterday that Jimmy Dean sausage has High Fructose garbage in there. SNEAKY!!!!! If your diary is open, I can take a peak to see if there is anything I see that sticks out.

The fourth thing that you may want to double check is the amount of protein you are eating. Eating too much protein can trigger that same insulin response and possibly hinder ketosis as well. (especially nuts).

And lastly, make sure to stay away from artificial sweeteners for the first couple weeks. It is very unlikely that this is the cause BUT, I personally have issues with sweeteners because they stall my weight loss, make me crave sugar and typically increase insulin. If you are a heavy user of Stevia, Splenda, etc. Try dropping them for a couple of weeks and see if things start to improve.

Please don’t be discouraged or give up. You are a Veteran at this, so you know these first few days are the toughest part of the lifestyle. If none of the above apply to you, hopefully the Dr. can take a look and find the issue. The cruelest joke of them all is that sometimes hormone imbalances and hormones in our gut will sneak and release insulin without us realizing it and that can affect ketosis as well. Good Luck to you. You’ve got this!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider trying IF with your keto?

"Just like with the ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting involves periods of “starving” the body of something, whether it be all food or just carbs. Also, getting into ketosis generally happens much quicker when fasting."

https://perfectketo.com/ketosis-vs-intermittent-fasting/
  • Goal179
    Options
    Hi Again! Just viewed your diary and everything looks great. If there are sneaky little carbs coming in, I can't find them based on what you have logged. So I am confident you are doing things correctly. Full disclosure, I don't use blood strips for monitoring. In fact, I don't really use anything. I started out the first month religiously using the pee strips, but that was just to make sure that I was on the right track with my eating and not doing anything that would cause insulin spikes. Once I was able to confirm that 20g was a good number for me, my focus shifted to just making sure that I stayed below 20g because I knew by default I would remain in ketosis.

So maybe there is an issue with how you are testing, when you are testing, etc. Some of the experts who are very familiar with those blood strips may be able to help. I am 100% positive you are going to be successful. Just hang in there and DON'T GIVE UP! I believe in you.
  • Goal179
    Options
    My understanding is that Glycogen stores should be depleted within 16-24 hours. However, it may take a couple more days after that for your body to stabilize in ketosis. Even after Glycogen stores are depleted, your body may get confused about why there is no more YUMMY sugar coming in and it may without your permission, start releasing insulin from different sources (like hormones). This could affect ketosis and delay it a bit.

Secondly, if for some reason the foods you are eating have some hidden carbs, sugar, it could be stalling your ability to get into full ketosis also. Double check those carb values on the food you are eating. If your diary is open, I can take a look and see if I see anything glaring.

Thirdly, there is a difference between ketosis and fat adaptation. You are very correct when you say it should not take weeks or months to get into ketosis. It does, however, takes weeks even months to become fully fat adapted. Many people confused being in ketosis with being fat adapted. If I am not mistaken (you experts out there help me), you can drop out of ketosis but still be fat adapted. You can also be in ketosis but not be fat adapted. My goal has always been fat adaptation. I view ketosis as just a indicator that you are doing everything nutritionally required to become fat adapted.

The next thing that you may want to double check is the amount of protein you are eating. Eating too much protein can trigger that insulin response and possibly hinder ketosis as well. (especially nuts).

And lastly, make sure to stay away from artificial sweeteners for the first couple weeks. It is very unlikely that this is the cause BUT, I personally have issues with sweeteners because they stall my weight loss, make me crave sugar and typically increase insulin. Drop the sweetener out of your diet for a little while and see if things improve.

If none of the above apply to you, hopefully the Dr. can take a look and find the issue. You are a Veteran at this, so you know these first few days are the most difficult.

**********************************************************************************************
    Hi Again! Just viewed your diary and everything looks great. If there are sneaky little carbs coming in, I can't find them based on what you have logged. So I am confident you are doing things correctly. Full disclosure, I don't use blood strips for monitoring. In fact, I don't really use anything. I started out the first month religiously using the pee strips, but that was just to make sure that I was on the right track with my eating and not doing anything that would cause insulin spikes. Once I was able to confirm that 20g was a good number for me, my focus shifted to just making sure that I stayed below 20g because I knew by default I would remain in ketosis.

So maybe there is an issue with how you are testing, when you are testing, etc. Some of the experts who are very familiar with those blood strips may be able to help. I am 100% positive you are going to be successful. Just hang in there and DON'T GIVE UP! I believe in you.

Good Luck to you. You’ve got this!
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You may find some info in this link helpful. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/30/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

• gfunk1134
    gfunk1134 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve been keto for 2.5 years, lost over 70 pounds, never cheat, and I never worry about my ketone levels. I just don’t check. If you’re eating under 20 carbs you’re in ketosis. There could be so many reasons why your BHB levels are off. Your strips or machine could be off. Just keep on ketoing on. I also think your supposed to test first thing in the morning for more accurate results.
  • kristafb
    Options
    @Goal179 Thank you so much for all the info and feedback. I track everything! so what you saw is what I ate, thank you for looking at my diary, its nice to get fresh eyes on it. I've cut out HWC and have been using coconut milk because it was making me bloated, I cut out peanut butter (my favourite) and limit my almond flour use or nuts in general, sweeteners are a once a day (maybe) treat. I am really trying, and I won't give up! I believe in this diet. Its going to work eventually!!! I think my hormones are playing a big part here. I'm 51 and have had pcos since my 20s so I'm a bit messed up in that way. I know that getting closer to the 20 net carb level I gain, I've been trying to do total carbs and keeping it around 10-15 g but boy its hard lol.

@tcunbeliever I do a bit of IF, I generally don't eat breakfast having coffee and then a late lunch and then supper, usually a 6 hour eating window. I do work 12 hour shift work and its gets a little screwy when I switch to nights so I'm not consistant with it. I have 12 days off at the end of this month so I'm going to try to do a more serious IF for those days and see if it helps.
  • kristafb
    Options
    @NikkiJRM THanks I'll have a look

@gfunk1134 If I was losing weight still and didn't have another 50lbs to lose (at least) I wouldn't be concerned. I have a precision Xtra ketone tester & strips but I also have a ketonix, definitely not in ketosis and I am consistently under 20 carbs. lately even lower than that. I guess I just really want to figure out why my body isn't responding to keto the way I see it working for so many others. I did a brief period of another diet (low fat & low carb horrible!!!) where I lost 40lbs fast! but I was miserable and it was a lot of prepackaged foods that were gross. Keto to me is healthy, real food and I love how I feel when I'm doing it. I just want the weight loss too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I didn't watch the video links above or read the longer, more medically dense posts above, but I just wanted to say that your last paragraph above reminded me so intensely of myself...

I guess I just really want to figure out why my body isn't responding to keto the way I see it working for so many others.

That was (and is, still to a degree), ME. This article is one someone posted to me that reading through it really help me in my thinking...

tuitnutrition.com/2015/12/why-not-losing-weight-2.html

Sending all the best thoughts, @kristafb
  • kristafb
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you! Its frustrating isn't it? I'm so happy for people when it works for them! but gee it would be great to get things to work for me too! I helped a friend start on it about 4 months ago and she has a LOT of weight to lose and she is doing amazing! the weight is melting off of her and she's honestly half-assing it, probably hitting close to 50 carbs a day but still always in ketosis when she measures. If only we were all the same things would be easier lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The pcos means you have high insulin levels. That will take some time to come down. IF can help.
    Make sure you get plenty of salt too as low sodium will trigger insulin to try to retain sodium and therefore will interfere with ketosis as well.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21036373/

When are you testing blood? If it's morning, wait til just before dinner. Morning you will have lowest ketones.
  • kristafb
    Options
    The pcos means you have high insulin levels. That will take some time to come down. IF can help.
    Make sure you get plenty of salt too as low sodium will trigger insulin to try to retain sodium and therefore will interfere with ketosis as well.

When are you testing blood? If it's morning, wait til just before dinner. Morning you will have lowest ketones.

@Sunny_Bunny_ I have actually been taking in a lot more salt recently after reading an article regarding constipation due to low sodium on keto. I make a drink out of Himalayan sea salt,lemon juice & stevia in water and drink it a couple times a day and I feel so much better!! I definitely wasn't eating enough salt prior to that.

I usually test around 7pm but for a couple of days in the last week I tested twice, once earlier in the day, usually around 11am & then after supper (7 or so)

Today I had one of my highest readings of 1.0 after going for bloodwork,which I felt was odd. I hadn't eaten for about 14 hours at that time but I often do a bit of a loose IF ,keep my eating window to a 6-7 hr window so 14 hours isn't out of the ordinary for me. ( I work 12 hour shift work and sometimes IF with a regular 18/6 schedule is difficult)

Thanks for the feedback! Any feedback I can get these days is very welcome. I'm determined to get this working for me!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »

@Sunny_Bunny_ I have actually been taking in a lot more salt recently after reading an article regarding constipation due to low sodium on keto. I make a drink out of Himalayan sea salt,lemon juice & stevia in water and drink it a couple times a day and I feel so much better!! I definitely wasn't eating enough salt prior to that.

I usually test around 7pm but for a couple of days in the last week I tested twice, once earlier in the day, usually around 11am & then after supper (7 or so)

Today I had one of my highest readings of 1.0 after going for bloodwork,which I felt was odd. I hadn't eaten for about 14 hours at that time but I often do a bit of a loose IF ,keep my eating window to a 6-7 hr window so 14 hours isn't out of the ordinary for me. ( I work 12 hour shift work and sometimes IF with a regular 18/6 schedule is difficult)

Thanks for the feedback! Any feedback I can get these days is very welcome. I'm determined to get this working for me!

Keep in mind also that it's not uncommon for people adapted to produce low blood ketones. I was listening to Bulletproof Radio's recent interview with Mark Sisson and the subject came up. He said it's not uncommon for adapted people to test at 0.3-0.5 and that it's a good sign of metabolic flexibility. I'm not sure being back into keto for 2 months would constitute enough time to adapt to using ketones so efficiently but maybe. Especially if you've done keto before. You essentially have a head start with developed mitochondria from previous stretches in ketosis.
    Really, it's just your brain that's burning ketones. Fatty acids are the main fuel. That's the real goal to burn fat. Not ketones. So I really wouldn't stress it.
  • kristafb
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I feel like I am most likely fat adapted to be honest. I'm rarely hungry, no crazy craving etc, my energy is great, I'm sleeping like a rock but I'm not losing weight and have the lower ketones. I'm reading more & more that higher ketones doesn't equal fat loss which what I thought initially so the ketones are not my biggest concern really. I just feel like having higher ketones would be a signal that I'm doing things right and perhaps will lose weight at some point.
  • Goal179
    Options
    If you believe in extended fasting, you can try a 3 day fast to help "reset" those hormones and push that insulin way down. It's pretty intense, but maybe during your three days off, you can try it. If you start to feel bad or it doesn't work for you, you can always just eat. =0) Research extended fasting and see if it is something you would like to try. Talk to your Dr first though because he may want you to supplement while you are doing it. I'm proud of you. You have NO QUIT in you.
  • kristafb
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    If you believe in extended fasting, you can try a 3 day fast to help "reset" those hormones and push that insulin way down. It's pretty intense, but maybe during your three days off, you can try it. If you start to feel bad or it doesn't work for you, you can always just eat. =0) Research extended fasting and see if it is something you would like to try. Talk to your Dr first though because he may want you to supplement while you are doing it. I'm proud of you. You have NO QUIT in you.

I'm not sure I could do a fast that long! I might try a full 24 hour one & see how it goes. Tomorrows my birthday & our thanksgiving dinner so it will be tricky. lol. My doctor is very unsupportive of this way of eating. I've stopped trying to talk to her about it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Just don't quit. My niece had a great 2-3 weeks keto last year. She has pcos too and was desperate to lose weight because she had put on at least 30 pounds in about a year. She said she felt great and had more energy but after 3 weeks and naturally falling into about 12-14 hours of daily fasting from the reduced hunger, she hadn't lost any weight.
    That was it for her. Feeling better wasn't enough. She wasn't willing to wait it out.
    That was last year.
    She's put on another 15-20 pounds since then. She's the heaviest she's ever been in her life and she's miserable but won't stick to keto even if it just means feeling better and stopping further weight gain.
    Don't let that be your reality.
  • kristafb
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'll never quit low carb or keto specifically. Even if I never lose another pound I feel better, I know its the best diet for me. I hope your niece figures that out before she gets too old to have kids like I did. If I had known then what I know now I'd probably have the family of my own that I always wanted.