New member 1200 calorie diet

Options
13»

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I sort of did 1200 calories a day when I first started losing, and I did okay, but I exercised and ate almost all of my exercise calories back, and that includes fitbit calories, so I was getting extra calories even on "rest" days. Which means that I almost always ate more like 1300-1500 calories.

I'm 5'5", and I didn't have much to lose. My sitting-on-my-*kitten* TDEE isn't much higher than 1200, so it wasn't as big a stretch for me as it is for a lot of people. I think it would be a very different story for someone taller or heavier.
  • OvercomerJudith
    OvercomerJudith Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    But you and I are all trying. We are getting in there every day, no matter what the results. We are adjusting and pushing through the hard times. With God's help, we are going to win! I'm so proud of you...and me! Go for it, one day at a time!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I eat 1200-1500/day but on the high fat low carb diet. And it is filling, its the only way i can eat less without staring at the clock for more food. And I have energy and am not hangry

I stay right around 1200-1350 on Keto/LCHF and am satiated daily. I don't really do intense workouts, but get about 4-6 miles a day in walking. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't think 1200 is atrocious.
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    About 5 or 6 years ago, I did it and lost 60+ lbs. I am trying it again as I have gained back all but 10 lbs of what I lost. It's harder this time around but definitely possible. And also, the more you work out the more you get to eat so it can work.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Whether or not 1200cal will work for you depends on your stats (age, height, weight, and activity level too).

I am on 1250-1300cal right now to lose 0.5lb/week. I am 5'3'', currently 118lbs, and sedentary. (I only average around 3000 steps on a daily basis.) My maintenance or TDEE is around 1500.

As long as you don't drop your calories down too suddenly and make sure you are getting proper amounts of protein, etc, you should be ok if you are a similar size to me at all. If you are significantly taller or heavier, 1200 will be a struggle. Unless you have a ton of weight to lose, you shouldn't really be trying to lose more than 1 lb/week, and in some cases 0.5lb/week is more ideal.

The one thing that has made the biggest difference for me is my breakfast. I limit my breakfast to around 200-250 cals (leaving 1,000 for the rest of the day) but still make sure it is filling and full of protein. I use Sunwarrior protein shake - 100cal - mixed with water/almond milk on my way to work, followed by a small snack like an apple or yogurt a few hours later. That leaves ample room for a tasy lunch and dinner, assuming you don't go crazy with it. Generally my lunch is around 400-500cal, sometimes a small 100-200cal snack after work, then a 450-700cal dinner.

If you want to "afford" more calories, you will need to exercise. Whether it's going on a walk, hopping on the elliptical, taking a class, anything to burn calories. Typically it is recommended to only eat back 50-75% of these burned calories since exercise calories aren't usually too accurate.
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think like a lot of things the answer is: It depends. If I'm doing 100k plus steps a week and an hour at the gym each day, with 20 minutes of HIT training, I can lose on 1,800 calories a day. If it is pretty much a desk to car to house week, it has to be 1,200 calories.

What works for me is to review the week: What I ate, what my steps were, number of work outs and then see if it results in a loss within 10 days (my body doesn't lose in 7 day segments, it is more like 10 days.)

I site I like is healthyeater.com which allows you to calculate your TDEE based upon height, weight, activity level (and BF, if you have an accurate number) and gives you an aggressive lose, average lose, gain and maintain set of numbers. It will also give you macros to achieve each goal.

Of course, it is a associated with product you can buy, you don't have to buy the product to get the information.
  • curlygirlusn
    curlygirlusn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat back my calories, some days I don't. I try to listen to my body. If I feel tired that day after getting plenty of sleep, I know I need to eat more.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I site I like is healthyeater.com which allows you to calculate your TDEE based upon height, weight, activity level (and BF, if you have an accurate number) and gives you an aggressive lose, average lose, gain and maintain set of numbers. It will also give you macros to achieve each goal.

I'm older and a little under 5'2". Usiing all three formulae I need to be under 1200 for fat loss and around 900 for extreme fat loss. No surprises there.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I personally struggle a lot to reach 1200 a day in healthy foods. Anyone have some high protein low fat favorites?
    Fish is my go too for low fat protein.

Chicken breast and shellfish are also good.
  • flozda88
    flozda88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi guys i am not tall just 5"1 hahahahaha i laso have a 1200 calorie per day diet but it is just so hard super hard hahaha
  • maddie124
    maddie124 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 62, 141.6 lbs, 5'4" (and a bit neurotic). My perfect weight is 130ish. I'm on the 1200 calories. It is working but am working out 5 days a week to get those extra calories. It makes a big difference. i don't always eat them all. My biggest challenge is I still eat too much protein - fine in all other areas, but keeping my protein down a bit is a challenge. Anyone else ever have that problem??
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    maddie124 wrote: »
    I'm 62, 141.6 lbs, 5'4" (and a bit neurotic). My perfect weight is 130ish. I'm on the 1200 calories. It is working but am working out 5 days a week to get those extra calories. It makes a big difference. i don't always eat them all. My biggest challenge is I still eat too much protein - fine in all other areas, but keeping my protein down a bit is a challenge. Anyone else ever have that problem??

Is there a reason you WANT to keep your protein down? And what do you have your protein goaled at that you keep going over? I try to get as much protein as I can to prevent muscle loss while I'm on a calorie deficit. Plus for me, protein helps keep me feeling full.

I personally don't like MFP's default suggestions of 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. My "sweet spot" is 35% carbs, 30% protein, 35% fat. But everyone is different.
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of my exercise calories. Sometimes I have a calorie deficit based on running or working out longer, sometimes I am way over (600-800), but as long as I have a deficit over the whole week, I feel like it is good enough. I have lost about 2 lbs in two weeks.
  • Mldaou
    Mldaou Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im also a shorty at 5'2 and trying to follow 1200-1300. Super tough.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1300 calories a day. Lost 13 pounds . Today I hit my first goal weight of 135. Trying for 130. I also do the Intermittent Fast approach to eating. I will say I'm usually hungry. Not starving but generally uncomfortable. But for me it's worth it.