So what do you guys put nut butter on?

Anon2018
Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
I absolutely love nut butter - natural peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc. I just bought a super yummy fresh ground cashew butter from the grocery store and I got it home ready for a snack and I had a duh moment. I would usually put nut butter on toast or a banana, but neither of those are things I want to eat on my LC diet anymore.

I had a spoonful and called it a day - but any suggestions?

Replies

• TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Sometimes I use it to dip my porkrinds on or put it in my protein smoothies
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Nut butter goes well on celery if you want crunch.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Celery. Carrots. Smoothies. A spoon.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2017
    I eat peanut butter off the spoon. I do like it slid across dill pickles (doesn't stick well). I'm not alone with PB and dill pickles. I've met many who like the combo.

I've never tried the other nut butters. I know I'd love them too much. :/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I just eat mine on a spoon.

I use cucumber slices for dips, that might work well for nut butters too. They don't have a strong flavor but they work well as a crunchy delivery method.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited October 2017
    DILL PICKLES! I dry them on a paper towel first...either hamburger chips or spears, it's all good.
  • Anon2018
    Thanks for the tips guys - duh, how did I forget about celery? Ants on a log were my fav as a kid!

I've been doing this for close to a month now and I've realized I don't really miss carbs on their own, but sometimes I do as like a convenient delivery for food that I do crave. Last night when I couldn't figure out how to eat my cashew butter was a prime example. I didn't care whether I had bread or not, just wanted something crunchy to spread it on. I had a similar experience when my boyfriend had mac and cheese with bacon over the weekend and I had a bite (previously a favorite food of mine) and I was like, "oh, I like the cheese and bacon here, not the noodles".
  • Anon2018
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I put mine on a square of 90% dark chocolate. I also sometimes make this low carb pumpkin bread which is great with a mix of cashew butter and cream cheese.

Can you share the recipe? I was looking for a good fall pumpkin dessert.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I eat peanut butter off the spoon. I do like it slid across dill pickles (doesn't stick well). I'm not alone with PB and dill pickles. I've met many who like the combo.

I've never tried the other nut butters. I know I'd love them too much. :/

Count me in this camp! Getting pb to stick on them is an adventure in and of itself! lol
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Pork rinds and celery, yum. Don't forget to try macadamia nut butter, pure joy!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    I like almond butter on almond buns from the cavemanketo.com site. Also I like jicama for nut butters or salsas.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    A spoon, my fingers, pretty much anything that will convey it from the jar to my pie hole (this is also the reason that we no longer keep nut butters in the house, except for special occasions).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    I put mine on a square of 90% dark chocolate. I also sometimes make this low carb pumpkin bread which is great with a mix of cashew butter and cream cheese.

https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pumpkin-bread/

You can skip the honey all together. I usually use a tiny bit of Truvia Nectar which has a couple of carbs but not much for the whole recipe. I cut the loaf into 10 slices and that makes 4.1 carbs per slice with 1.3 fiber according to the recipe builder!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Nut butter spread on bacon is good too, bacon must be crisp, but not too 'snappish' if ykwim or you will end up with messy crumbles.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 wrote: »

https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pumpkin-bread/

You can skip the honey all together. I usually use a tiny bit of Truvia Nectar which has a couple of carbs but not much for the whole recipe. I cut the loaf into 10 slices and that makes 4.1 carbs per slice with 1.3 fiber according to the recipe builder!

Thanks! I'm ok with a bit of honey. I don't do artificial sweeteners, they bother my stomach and I dislike the taste. I'd much rather get used to things that are lightly sweet
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Celery is a good choice. I've also drizzled it on some low carb ice cream. But my fav way to eat it is right out of the spoon!!!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    love it on a spoon w/ a quick squirt of redi-whip & a sprinkle of cinnamon.
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    use it to make chicken satay with zoodles
  • Anon2018
    stepea83 wrote: »
    use it to make chicken satay with zoodles

Yum!! Do you have a recipe for the chicken satay?