New to Keto

Options
bsobolik11
bsobolik11 Posts: 23 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Hi everyone! I'm on day 7 of Keto- and so far so good!

Replies

• bsobolik11
    Options
    Not sure what happened- but only posted first sentence lol. Anyway would love some low carb friends! Feel free to add me!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to LCHF life. I'm doing keto and loving it too. So glad to have you here with us. :)
  • bsobolik11
    Options
    Thank you!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of good ideas and tips here.
  • bsobolik11
    Options
    Thanks!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you inserted an emoticon/emoji (other than those provided in the bar above), that will usually cause the deletion of any text that follows. Welcome!
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to add me.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was wondering at first if newts were a new keto thing, lol. :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Welcome! I was wondering at first if newts were a new keto thing, lol. :D

I fixed the title. Though I loathed to do it. I rather like newts.
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the LCHF lifestyle too. 3 weeks in but I'm feeling pretty good after the first 2 weeks, Keto flu/carb withdrawal. Anyway, I'm on track and losing a little weight. So glad to have found this group. Please friend me, I need motivation.
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am planning on starting keto. I am not sure when I need to rid the house of as many carbs as possible. I am a pasta junkie. I also have 4 children and a husband I feed. Anyone doing Keto as well as planning meals for a family. This is where I have some concerns. Also anyone a huge carb fanatic and was able to jump right in.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am planning on starting keto. I am not sure when I need to rid the house of as many carbs as possible.

Yup.
    When hubby and I first went LCHF/P, I immediately cleared every single cupboard of any food that was carb based.
    All the breads (pitta, sliced, fresh-baked, crumpets, buns, wraps) every grain of rice, every carb-laden tinned product - and all the potatoes and pasta. I must have ditched a small fortune, but it (virtually) all went to good homes. I hate waste.
    But if you're going Keto/LCHF, you need to start clearing. Or at the very least, separating (You/Family).
    I am a pasta junkie. I also have 4 children and a husband I feed. Anyone doing Keto as well as planning meals for a family. This is where I have some concerns. Also anyone a huge carb fanatic and was able to jump right in.
    Hand up again.
    I'm Italian.
    Every meal we had was based around a carb content to one degree or another.
    How does your family feel about joining you, even on a semi-basis?

And please remember: Carb is the one component of our intake that is not in any way necessary.
    So you're not depriving yourself or your family if you cut out, or cut down, except in effect to the cravings.
    And there will be some.
    But you'll find pointers along the way to combat or suppress those....

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    There are only 2 in our household and my "other half" is lean with no health issues so I never attempted to alter his food choices. I cook much like I did before. Really, almost exactly as I did before except I don't eat the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, crackers, etc. He eats some sort of starch nearly every evening meal.

In regards to snack type items, when I quit eating them they always went stale so I had to "fess up" to the idea that while I always bought them "for him", it was really for me. Since you're the "pasta junkie" @verybusybee, consider making it less often or not at all to see if others in family request it. I still make pasta meals occasionally where I can serve mine over raw spinach, cooked mushrooms or spaghetti squash and my husband's over pasta.

But yes. I advocate removing as much of the temptation as possible. There are only 3 temptations in our house that I really do keep around for my non-lchf husband. I'm ok with them 99% of the time (from 4 years of practice)...until I'm not. :(
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A couple suggestions from our family. Riced cauliflower has taken the place of rice for those non lowcarb, mashed cauliflower is a decent mashed potato replacement if done right(a little more relunctantly accepted at our house thus far) and zucchini noodles are fully accepted in place of pasta under beef with some low sugar tomato sauce and veg.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't rid my house of carbs, I just cook non-carb alternatives for me and continue cooking the carbs for the kids...my husband likes both, so he eats lower carb than he used to, but he just likes food in general. The kids still eat sandwiches for lunch, I usually pack a salad.

Stir fry - cook up meat/veg as usual, I have mine over salad, they have theirs over rice.
    Pasta dishes - cook meat/sauce as usual, I have mine over zoodles, they have pasta.

A lot of times we just have a grilled meat and some veggies so there's no need for an alternate.

For potatoes or chips or crackers and stuff I have things like bleu cheese stuffed olives...or claussen pickle spears...or just drinking the juice from the pickles...or pork rinds with cream cheese...sliced cucumbers and guacamole...etc.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am planning on starting keto. I am not sure when I need to rid the house of as many carbs as possible. I am a pasta junkie. I also have 4 children and a husband I feed. Anyone doing Keto as well as planning meals for a family. This is where I have some concerns. Also anyone a huge carb fanatic and was able to jump right in.

Well my wife is vegan and eats a lot of vegan junk food and pasta so I am not able to rid the house of carbs unfortunately. SO that being said I just say "no" to all those things I used to love like pasta and sweets. I try to find some low carb alternative like miracle noodles, miracle rice, or zoodles for pasta and maybe a low carb cookie, bowl of berries, or protein bar for a sweet. It's OK to say no to certain foods and its OK to cook yourself a LCHF meal and still feed your family what they like. You might also try to make a low carb meal for the entire family now and then just to give yourself a break. I know my wife eats what she likes and I eat what I like but we don't exclude ourselves from eating together. The only time it becomes difficult is eating out since most vegan and vegan friendly restaurants are heavily carb based but I can usually get a salad with tofu or something like that.

• rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to convert the house, me and wife eat keto, the 3 kids eat carbage, because they want to…. Anyways, cook as before, if kids want eggs and bacon in the morning, they can ask for it, no problem to make more, otherwise it’s the standard oatmeal for them. For dinner they can have the meat with rice, while the wife and I eat meat with salad.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've got a teenage boy and a father with Parkinson's in the house. Dad's not changing at this point, and I see no need to not provide my son with whole grains he likes.

So, no, the only change in our groceries has been more greens, and higher quality meats and cheeses for me. BUT ...

Except for the first couple of weeks it hasn't really bothered me. Not even making and serving dessert. If it was difficult for me, or becomes difficult, I certainly wouldn't rule out cleansing the house of what was most tempting.

Tl:dr: Do whatever you gotta do.
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well done, @bsobolik11 - it might take you a couple more weeks of LC eating before your body really gets tuned up (so you are fully Keto and fat adapted), but it will be worth it!