Eating to hide physical pain

Options
NGeesaman20
NGeesaman20 Posts: 48 Member
Hi I'm Nikki. I'm 38 a mother of a teenager and a newlywed. I also have poly-ostarthritis and wide spread fibromyalgia. I eat when I am stressed or sad but I also eat when my body is hurting alot and the meds just aren't helping.
I have recently started a minor workout routine 2-3 days a week so my joints stay flexible. However those days I eat more because I hurt more.
Is there anyone else on here like me.

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Congrats on working out 2-3 days a week. Hugs
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    Congrats on working out 2-3 days a week. Hugs

Thanks
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and yes, I eat more when I hurt. So I try to hurt less, have celery, carrots, salad makings around when I know I will be doing something that will cause pain. I decided since I can't cure Fibro or cfs or arthritis, I would try everything I ever heard to lessen the pain. I take vitamin d, b complex, sleep aids, Epsom salts baths, etc,etc,etc. it has helped tremendously. Most days are pain free or almost.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and yes, I eat more when I hurt. So I try to hurt less, have celery, carrots, salad makings around when I know I will be doing something that will cause pain. I decided since I can't cure Fibro or cfs or arthritis, I would try everything I ever heard to lessen the pain. I take vitamin d, b complex, sleep aids, Epsom salts baths, etc,etc,etc. it has helped tremendously. Most days are pain free or almost.

I'm trying Epsom salt baths, tumeric, calcium, vitamin d right now. It helps some. But with the cold weather comes the pain and I add to it by pushing exercise on myself 2-3 days a week. It's all low impact but I feel I have to do it to keep myself moving.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    I know. I swim 2x week, 2 hours each time. With the tiny cold front we had a while back, it was just too much. Took this last week off. I was hoping to swim thru November, but maybe not. May try to start walking again soon. Do a restorative yoga class once a week. Wonderful!
    Tried turmeric. Turns out I like it. Use it a lot now, but can't tell it helps.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I just started the tumeric pills (500 mg) 1x a day. If I don't see relief the doc said I could do 2x a day. On top the meds it's just one more thing to fight the condition and keep me moving.
  • amks3818
    amks3818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia and have been trying to figure out what helps. Going to have to find a new doctor soon as mine is giving up on me. All the meds he has tried I have side effects from. The last one helps me sleep but causes constant pain. Not sure I am ok with that trade off. We are trying to find things to lessen my pain. I am getting to the point where I just may have to come to terms with I am just going to hurt and live with it. I am slowly trying to work exercise back in my life. Has been hard with working full time, school full time and 4 kids the youngest being 1. I am hanging in there though.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    What medications are you taking/have you tried?
  • amks3818
    Options
    I was on Lyrica ( which worked great) before having my last bat but since I had him I can’t take it due to side effects. Lately my doctor has had me try antidepressants lexapro and elavil. My doctor made a comment at my last visit that he doesn’t prescribe narcotics for fibro. I told him that is not what I am looking for. I am just looking for a little relief.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I'm on cymbalta it helps some. The doc warned me there is no pill that will ever get rid of all my pain but if it will reduce it by at least 50%. We are winning
  • amks3818
    Options
    I have not found one yet that didn’t give me major side effects since I had my last baby. It is not worth the pain relief for the side effects. I am slowly trying to change my diet and add exercise to see if that will help. I am thinking of giving up on meds and trying supplements.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I have been doing research on supplements. I have read good things on them. However my pharmacist has said that some can't be mixed with the meds. Sam-E and 5-htp are two that have great reviews but can't be mixed with meds or some mental health condition. I right now am taking vitamin d, calcium, tumeric, and melatonin to help mine. These on top the meds offer some relief. I'm thinking of adding a vitamin b supplement.
  • amks3818
    Options
    I have thought about doing some research on supplements and incorporating those into my regimen. At this point I am open to just about anything.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    WebMd has some good articles and talk to a knowledgeable pharmacist. That's what I did lots of research and talking to my pharmacist and doctor. But actually my pharmacist was the biggest help...lol
  • amks3818
    Options
    I will have to look into that. I am looking to switch my dc the one I have now has not been much help. He didn’t believe me for the longest time. Never thought about the pharmacist though.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    My pharmacist was a big help. He knows what I take and he knows about different supplements and thier reactions to my conditions and current meds.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Suggest magnesium and very low dose melatonin to help with sleep. I take a pill with magnesium, melatonin and potassium because my diet is also deficient in potassium, it is cheaper than taking all three, and why swallow 3 pills when you can take just one.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Also strongly suggest restorative yoga, breathing exercises. Try you tube.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Also look into ribose. I tried it, but don't think it helped me. I have talked to a couple of people who swear by it.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I will have to try the magnesium. I haven't heard about that