Oct 16 Weekly Challenge: The Water Challenge

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Healthy Habits
Challenge: The Water Challenge

I enjoy putting together our weekly challenges. It gives me an opportunity to dive into health related topics and learn more about the issue. Usually these explorations have a predictable path. I read up on the topic and select a few resources that I think will be useful to you if you want to learn more. Almost always, there's strong agreement among the experts that the issue is important for your health. (You won't find credible sources claiming meditation is a waste of time). This is usually what happens. But not this week. It turns out drinking water is more contentious than I realized.

Let's start with the areas of agreement. There is widespread agreement that water is essential for good health. We need to replenish fluids lost through sweat, breathing, and urination on a daily basis. There is also strong agreement that water is essential for major bodily processes such as brain, lung, liver, and kidney function. Our bodies are more than 60% water.

What is in dispute is how much water we should drink every day. Specifically, there seems to be no scientific basis whatsoever for recommending that people should drink a certain amount of water each day. I'm sure you're familiar with the recommendations to drink 8 by 8 (drink 8, eight ounce glasses of water each day) or to aim to drink half your body weight (measured in pounds) in ounces of water each day. There just does not appear to be good science behind these recommendations. Most of us, it seems, are already replacing the fluids we need through what we are drinking (Hello, coffee!) and eating each day.

So do we just skip this week's challenge? I don't think so. While there isn't justification for rigorous attention to getting a certain amount of water each day, there are many of us on My Fitness Pal who have found that drinking more water is beneficial. I know it's helped me. When I make a conscientious effort to drink more water, I just feel better. My skin isn't as dry, my joints hurt less, and my blood pressure is better controlled. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I think I'll keep drinking my water.

If you're someone who likes to measure your progress throughout the day, using the 8 by 8 water strategy seems like a reasonable approach. But if you only want track a few things, your food intake and the number of steps you take are two excellent choices.

This Week's Challenge: Since the main purpose of our weekly challenge is to "test drive" a healthy habit and see if it's a good fit for us, let's aim for a moderate increase in our water consumption this week. Especially if you're someone whose water intake tends to be on the dry side. Maybe swap a few sugar sweetened drinks for some water this week? See if it makes a difference in how you feel.

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other.

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Why Is Drinking Water Important?
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php

6 Reasons to Drink Water:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water#1

Fact or Fiction?: You Must Drink 8 Glasses of Water Daily:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-you-must-drink-8-glasses-of-water-daily/

The mysterious origins of the "8 glasses of water a day" rule:
http://www.mindthesciencegap.org/2012/10/22/you-need-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day-a-history-lesson/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    xsn4tgdg729v.jpg

frs8gs8vor2b.png
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with and am trying to do better at. I tend to drink coffee until about 11:00 a.m. and then don't get nearly enough pure water in. I know that personally I do much better when I do have a good amount of water intake. I tend to get light-headed if I don't drink enough, my fingers and ankles swell and I just don't feel as good. So....although my ultimate goal is to hit 1/2 my body weight in oz, I will strive this week to hit eight 8oz glasses every day since I know even that will be a challenge!
  • themedalist
    Options
    This is something I struggle with and am trying to do better at. I tend to drink coffee until about 11:00 a.m. and then don't get nearly enough pure water in. I know that personally I do much better when I do have a good amount of water intake. I tend to get light-headed if I don't drink enough, my fingers and ankles swell and I just don't feel as good. So....although my ultimate goal is to hit 1/2 my body weight in oz, I will strive this week to hit eight 8oz glasses every day since I know even that will be a challenge!

@OConnell5483, I'm the same way. I know when I haven't had enough water. It's one of the easiest habits for me to get out of. Not sure why. I think you have a good plan.
  • themedalist
    Options
    jlperiard wrote: »
    I too drink a lot of coffee...which I LOVE!!! In between the coffee I drink water with Crystal Light. I find water definitely helps with any fluid retention, fills you up and refreshes me when I'm thirsty. I always feel guilty about not getting my 8 glasses in a day but now that I know just having some water is good too, I won't stress about it.
    I do plan on increasing my water intake and making sure that I drink some water each day.

@jlperiard, I really like your plan. Increase your water consumption, drink some plain water each day, but don't stress about getting a certain number of ounces or milliliters each day. Drinking water should not be stressful.
  • themedalist
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Perfect timing for me, normally my fluids come from coffee, diet coke and wine! But last week I bought a fruit infuser water bottle to encourage myself to drink more water. It holds 1litre (32oz) and my target is to
    a) remember to bring it into work every day and b) drink at least one bottle by home time every day

Great plan @Jinantonix ! I've been thinking about getting a fruit infuser myself.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Helene_vC wrote: »
    The one thing I have under controle is my water-intake :smile:
    I start the day with a glass (250ml) water with ACV, salt and the juice of half a lemon. Not sure whther this actually does something for me, but it makes me focus on my the goals for the day ahead. While driving to my work, I drink 0.5 liter water. At my work (I have a desk job, so I'll be sitting most of the the day), I make 1 liter of herbal thea and fill up a bottle of water (another 1L). So before I go home, I already drank 2,75L of water.
    In the evening I sometimes have a coke light or some more water.

When I don't drink this 'much', my body really craves for fluids, so I gues I'm not overdoing it!

@Helene_vC, it's sounds like you've found an optimal water intake for you. I also really like that your morning glass of water habit is serving as a trigger and reminder to do your other healthy habits throughout the day. Just brilliant!
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All. I love this challenge. One I will find easy to do. I only drink ONE cup of coffee a day. I don't even know why I drink it, except, that it's just a habit. It's something I can share with my husband in the mornings. ;)
    I have a 30 oz. RTIC glass that I bring to work everyday and fill with ice, water, and lemon. And I refill during the day. As hard as it may to believe, I DO NOT drink any other drinks. I just can't handle the taste of soda, whether regular or diet. I do drink a glass of unsweet tea with lemon every now and then. Lately I've started drinking a cup of hot green with lemon....(yes I love lemon. :D ) Now, on weekends, I'm not so diligent. I need to do better, but get busy, (or lazy), and just forget. Water DOES help me feel better, so this challenge will help me get my 8 in by 8. :)
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All. I love this challenge. One I will find easy to do. I only drink ONE cup of coffee a day. I don't even know why I drink it, except, that it's just a habit. It's something I can share with my husband in the mornings. ;)
    I have a 30 oz. RTIC glass that I bring to work everyday and fill with ice, water, and lemon. And I refill during the day. As hard as it may to believe, I DO NOT drink any other drinks. I just can't handle the taste of soda, whether regular or diet. I do drink a glass of unsweet tea with lemon every now and then. Lately I've started drinking a cup of hot green with lemon....(yes I love lemon. :D ) Now, on weekends, I'm not so diligent. I need to do better, but get busy, (or lazy), and just forget. Water DOES help me feel better, so this challenge will help me get my 8 in by 8. :)

I don't drink a lot except milk and water. I can't really do caffeine because it triggers migraines since I've managed to detox from a really heavy caffeine habit. I don't keep a lot of sugary drinks in the house either. I'll have a glass of milk in the morning but the rest of the day it's water, though I do find some days that I rarely drink anything so I'm hoping this week I'll be able to up my intake and actually pay attention to it. My 20 oz Yeti rambler goes to work with me every day but I get sidetracked with work and forget about it. This morning it's right in my sightline so I can't forget. My goal is 20oz. in the morning, 20oz. at lunch, and 20 oz. in the afternoon. Usually when I'm at home I fill up my 32 oz and drink that all evening.
  • anitamitchell437
    anitamitchell437 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whether the science supports it or not, I'm with you. I just feel better when I'm hydrated. I've replaced my second cup of coffee with green tea and I'm in love with my office mojito (water, lemon, lime, mint)! I still love my wine in the evenings so I will make the extra effort to drink more water before and after. While I may need a revolving door on the bathroom, it's definitely worth it. I think it's a huge part of my success so far. I'm down 30 pounds since June 22nd. Thanks for adding me to the group, I look forward to your insights!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I am a pre diabetic so I have stopped drinking a lot of stuff. Now it is just water, coffee, unsweetened tea. I start my day with water or water with lemon. I love infused water because I do get tired of plain water. My fave is cucumber or aguas frescas ( strawberries). I do need to improve the quantity of water I take. Good luck everyone!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,930 Member
    Options
    @Helene_vC , I also love water with ACV and lemon! I really enjoy the way it tastes, but people think I'm crazy for doing it. Right now I'm drinking it with lime because my lemons are not ripe yet, but my limes are falling off the tree. I also start my day with a big glass of water

I drink a fair amount of coffee and tea, but I still get lots of water. That's good because I live in a warm climate with low humidity. This time of year, I drink more hot beverages (coffee, tea, decaf of either), and that means I don't get in enough water. This week I'll work on making sure I get enough. I really enjoy sparkling water, and keep the folks at Le Croix, Pelligrino, and Perrier in business. :smiley:
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    We must live near each other. The humidity the past few days was hovering at 5%. That's enough to dry my eyes and lungs out. I usually drink enough on hot days, but get lax when the weather cools. Of course it's going to be near or at 100 this next week, so I'll be fine. I got heatstroke at 9AM today- yikes. I guess I'm one of those sensitive ones. No, I don't have a pool. It would probably be bone dry if I did!
    77tes wrote: »
    @Helene_vC , I also love water with ACV and lemon! I really enjoy the way it tastes, but people think I'm crazy for doing it. Right now I'm drinking it with lime because my lemons are not ripe yet, but my limes are falling off the tree. I also start my day with a big glass of water

I drink a fair amount of coffee and tea, but I still get lots of water. That's good because I live in a warm climate with low humidity. This time of year, I drink more hot beverages (coffee, tea, decaf of either), and that means I don't get in enough water. This week I'll work on making sure I get enough. I really enjoy sparkling water, and keep the folks at Le Croix, Pelligrino, and Perrier in business. :smiley:

• themedalist
    Options
    We've got some dedicated water drinkers here. That's great!

@anitamitchell437, I also think drinking more water helped me lose weight. It's more filling, even if it's just temporary.

I bought some seasonal hot teas this weekend. Pumpkin spice and salted caramel. The pumpkin spice was good, but the salted caramel was excellent.

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I was very happy to see this challenge finally come around! I have definitely gotten out of the habit of drinking enough water. And I can feel it.

I actually do like plain cool water so that is not the issue. Besides water, I will drink one cup of coffee if I'm wanting it in the morning, and when it is colder out I enjoy drinking herbal tea during the day.

I have my awesome 20 ounce Grizzly cup on the counter, and it always has water in it, but often I don't really notice it there until I am really thirsty.

Since learning about habits I need to tie drinking water to something or another, so that I will drink water before I am thirsty. but I do not know what. I do not like to drink water, or anything, with my meals, so it has to be something else.

And I probably need to start tracking my water again on MFP, come to think of it. That may help.

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,930 Member
    Options
    @SheilaCali , we must live it the same area. I've got a headache today from the heat. At least the sun is setting earlier this time of year.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I was very happy to see this challenge finally come around! I have definitely gotten out of the habit of drinking enough water. And I can feel it.

I actually do like plain cool water so that is not the issue. Besides water, I will drink one cup of coffee if I'm wanting it in the morning, and when it is colder out I enjoy drinking herbal tea during the day.

I have my awesome 20 ounce Grizzly cup on the counter, and it always has water in it, but often I don't really notice it there until I am really thirsty.

Since learning about habits I need to tie drinking water to something or another, so that I will drink water before I am thirsty. but I do not know what. I do not like to drink water, or anything, with my meals, so it has to be something else.

And I probably need to start tracking my water again on MFP, come to think of it. That may help.

@texasgardnr, My suggestion is to tie your water drinking habit to the morning. Time of day works really well as a trigger. You might phrase it as, "when I first go down to the kitchen in the morning I will have a drink of water". You might need a Post-it note the first couple of times to remind yourself, but I don't think it'll be very long before you walk into the kitchen and immediately head to the faucet.

As @Helene_vC noted, some habits are especially powerful because they trigger other good habits to follow. Helene's water habit serves as a reminder to keep doing her other healthy habits. That is fantastic! And the best reason I've seen for starting the day with a glass of water