Keto again... and again.

alijoan11
alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
Hey folks. Looking for a little advice. I always start strong on the keto diet- for like 5-7 days. Then, I stop losing weight, and start getting frustrated. I know, the scale isn't necessarily to show loss every day, but it is very disheartening to not see the scale move for a few days after drastically changing your way of eating. I then start to get bored of the food and ask myself, "why am I doing this if I'm not losing weight". And, the vicious cycle starts again. Anybody else try and fail at keto before finally settling into the lifestyle? Thanks.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Maybe keto is not for you.

Maybe low carb would be a more sustainable option. It's less restrictive and in the long run sustainability is far more important than the method used for weight loss.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I can understand your frustration, I've been on a bit of a weight plateau for a couple of weeks now but I've noticed my waist size definitely going down and muscle mass increasing in certain areas. Weight loss is only one visible marker you should focus on and I wouldn't focus on it a lot. Focusing more on your overall look and general well being will help ease any stress you might have and before you know it the scale will start to trend downwards. When I think back I only kept to 20g of total carbs for about two weeks and then slowly morphed into 20-50g net carbs by adding in different food types and exercising and still lost inches around my waist and about 1-2 lbs a week.

Look at everything as a long term trend. You probably didn't gain a lot of weight quickly and vice versa it will take time to lose it in a healthy way. Make non-scale related goals to motivate yourself. I particularly like having to use the next hole on my belt to hold my pants up and having jeans that fit rather snug two months ago are now starting to get baggy and all of this happened during a weight slow down period for me. The last 20lbs before I hit maintenance will be an interesting trip, I am looking forward to it.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    I've been getting discouraged, I'm almost 5 weeks in and down 5lb. I'm iggnoring the scale now, I can notice it more and more in how my clothes fit. The scale lies!

I've lost track of how many times I've read something like the above while I've been doing keto. Over and over again I've read posts about some member who has stalled only to notice that their clothes aren't as tight, they're beginning to notice muscle and bones they forgot they had, etc. You can't just go by the scale. While weight loss is a good motivation, put that together with better health and know that there are good changes going on 'inside' as well as 'outside'. Hang in there. This is a marathon, not a sprint. :)
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    alijoan11 wrote: »
    Hey folks. Looking for a little advice. I always start strong on the keto diet- for like 5-7 days. Then, I stop losing weight, and start getting frustrated. I know, the scale isn't necessarily to show loss every day, but it is very disheartening to not see the scale move for a few days after drastically changing your way of eating. I then start to get bored of the food and ask myself, "why am I doing this if I'm not losing weight". And, the vicious cycle starts again. Anybody else try and fail at keto before finally settling into the lifestyle? Thanks.

Stick with it my friend, results are not always going to be good everyday. You should try to find some support partners to keep you motivated and on goal. It would be great if you could get family and friends to join the diet with you, but if you can't feel free to friend me and others here. I think having other people to talk about the highs and lows with it really helps. My wife and I are on it at the same time thankfully. Not having to cook separate meals for one person in the family is a huge plus. Check out some of the cook books, recipe sites for keto as well you can make just about anything that you crave in a deconstructed manner to get that taste you may long for. If you are eating enough fat, it shouldn't feel like your depriving yourself of food as you will be full. I also drink tons of water throughout the day.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2017
    If it took you 40 years to get to a certain weight, establish your metabolism, develop insulin resistance...do you expect it all to revert within weeks? Weight loss is a long term process, even with a lifestyle change. My wife is shedding 2.8 lb a month, this is after the initial 6 lb water loss starting keto. Seems like a trickle but its the trend that counts. Today she is exactly 20 less then 5 months ago. Change your eating habits, stick to the plan, record weight every morning, and examine the trend over 6 months before making tweaks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I haven’t lost weight in 2 years. Stick to it. Keto works differently.

You do still need to be aware of overeating but at a week in, you probably aren’t even achieving the benefit of reduced hunger yet.
    You gotta do it if you want it. Can’t just try for a little while.
    bgbu0rlib1hd.jpeg

Looking fabulous! Do you mind me asking (again?) how tall you are? You look very fit at 140#!!
  • alijoan11
    alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks so much, folks. I did indeed start again, Day 7 today. This is when the real battle with persistence begins with me- when the scale slows. I am really feeling great already, and have a lot of optimism this time around. I appreciate all the sound advice and opinions!