Interesting??? Article

Options

Replies

• klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The author is correct. Milk pasteurization reduced the incidence of TB. Frozen fruits and veggies have more nutrients in them in fresh ones unless you picked them yourself and ate them immediately. As soon as a fruit or veggie is harvested the decay process begins. the sooner it is either consumed or process (i.e. frozen/canned) that process stops and the nutrients are preserved.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.. and I agree with most of it.

I don't think we can equate processed food as the foundation of the women's rights movement, as example.. or that mac n' cheese is as healthy as a home prepared pasta with cheese where I can control the ingredients (it's more than just sentimentality and romanticism, thank you.)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I think in my view and maybe mine alone that "processed" has been waaaay over defined. To me chopping, freezing and the like is not processing per se. If it is in a box or canned and has a zillion ingredients well sure that's what I think of as processed or some of the TV dinners and the like. I like buying staples but do in fact buy some shredded kale salad as one of them. I like bwmalone and his sentiments. Oh I don't drink milk but also wouldn't touch unpasteurized milk either. With some folks definition of "processed" all food is processed that we get in the store. Well it is all shipped here. Right?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    We do sorta take food safety for granted. Something the old folks in my family did not do.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    I agree with @podkey, I think that when we, as dieters, think of "processed foods" we think of Blue Box mac & cheese and foods with more than two ingredients we can't pronounce. Of course many foods are "processed", but, IMHO, the writer is trying to say that if a little processing is ok, then any amount is ok. Sounded like it was written by a shill for Kraft, Campbell's, or General Mills.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    I think there was plenty of validity to the authors article but I do think that some foods have got so many ingredients that I for one can't pronounce. Then you also have the many naysayers out there jumping on the bandwagon putting fear in our minds at every drop of the hat. Some have valid points but I just have to weight out in my own mind each food item that I have a question about and do my own investigation. Example we eat a whole lot of clean bagged frozen broccoli. I've done a few other frozen veggies as well.

So bottom line opinion to the article is yes it has some validity.