Looking for support

Options
Well I have been on this journey for quite some time and I'm super frustrated. I'm 45 years old and I think my hormones are trying to kill me! Lmao (but really) I'm going to tell my story here but what I want is an amazing group of people that are working towards the same goals who are active in the group and support each other in a positive way. No sales, no gimmicks, just support. My goal is to lose 40 pounds in 6 months. April14th, 2018. K here goes.

I was 115 pounds all through my teens and 20s. In my 20s I had three beautiful babies, three years apart. With each pregnant I gained about 45 pounds and lost it all within about three months of having each baby no problem. When I turned 30 it seems like boom I gained 30 pounds instantly. I'm sure it wasn't instant but it feels like it was. I started going to the gym for like 2 hours a day and made no progress at all. I started Herbal Magic out of frustration and dumped so much money into that it is laughable but I reached my goal weight and it was awesome until I blew out my gallbladder. I am not talking about a simple day surgery here. I almost died, I was bedridden for months while they had me on tons of antibiotics trying to get the infection down to operate they finally gave up and took it out. It was neurotic and fused to my liver and small intestine and had to be scraped away. I received a 23 am scar under my right ribline. It was horrible and in the process i gained all the weight back plus 20. My heaviest weight was 184 pounds. Ugh!!!!

In comes Beachbody. I got super involved in that and did great. I started in December and by Auguest, four years ago I was 8 pounds from my goal weight. Then I quit smoking and boom here come the weight again little by little and all the hand to mouth trying to avoid smoking I gained back 32 pounds. So for the past four years I have been struggling, gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over and over agsin. I can't seem to get the focus back that I had while doing Beachbody and I can't seem to get my calories and activity balanced in a way that I am not hungry all the time and that I am burning enough calories to lose weight.

I have tried a few "magic pills" fully knowing there are no mafic pills but simply out of frustration and i feel like all i need is the right group of people to work with to get this done once and for all.

Please help if this is something you are ready to do as well.

Replies

• kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Wow you have had quite the roller coaster the last 20 years. Glad you have made it through though. As you are aware, it gets harder to lose the weight when you get our age (I am almost 50), but it can be done it just takes time and some willpower. As you know there is no magic pill to take the weight off, I have found that if using MFP it has helped me at least be aware of how much I eat which is the first step. I also found that having a group of friends that can keep you accountable and are there for you if you need assistance also help.

I have sent you friend request. Good luck on your journey.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hey! 46 here and know exactly what you mean about that yo-yo 5 lbs all too well. I am trying to kick the cig habit and I am finding that is making things that much harder. The good thing about that is that I am now able to go farther and faster on my mountain bike training for my dirtbike racing I decided to get back into after a 25 year layoff. I have sent you a FR.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know it is no consolation but I know what you are talking about. I have Hashimoto's ( underactive thyroid ) so I have to work extra hard not to gain weight. At the moment I am yo-yo-ing between 65 and 67 kg, with no improvement in sight, but I try not to give up.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hi there @countrygirl_ca , wow, you have been on quite the rollercoaster ride...especially with the gallbladder troubles and all. I am definitely a yo-yo dieter as well, up and down 10 lbs all the time. I have recently lost 10 and would like to see another 10 disappear (before I gain the first 10 back! :wink:
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have lost hundreds of pounds in my life. Mostly they are the same pounds over and over again. Earlier this year I hit my goal weight of 185Lbs (from 256). A knee injury and being unable to run since April has put me back over 203 Lbs. It's frustrating because I know what I should be doing, yet cannot keep myself from doing it.
  • couchnest
    couchnest Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi there, I am 41 and trying to lose 30 pounds to bring me back to where I was when I moved back home and was very active. Unfortunately the move changed my lifestyle in good ways, but also in very unhealthy ways because I went from being super active and on my feet, a lot, to almost 100% sedentary. Some things have changed since then, but I still find that I am way more sedentary than I used to be, and my weight shows it. It also doesn't help that I am eating out a lot more, which I know is a large contributing factor. I probably put 10 pounds on just from visiting Starbucks! I am at the highest weight I have ever been, not including pregnancy weight. Even after both pregnancies I bounced back quickly and was really skinny, which makes the weight gain even more difficult. For years I heard how it would catch up to me, and when I hit 40, it felt like it did! Although I know I started gaining gradually a bit here and there before 40 hit. I do feel as though I am having a hard time getting it off and keeping it off, which I am blaming my age and hormones on. I have no real excuse other than I am less active and have been eating like crap. I think coming here and having even just the tiniest bit of accountability is helping me. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Numbers suck . . . age, weight, height, we get caught up with the numbers and lose sight of other things that are just as important. I say this because we sort of all have our own version of your story and just about with the same results - a lot of frustration not being what we think we should be. At 49, I just realized I am a tall person trapped in a short body, so no matter what I do I will never look in the mirror and see what I want, if the scale says what I want I won't look like I think I should and lets not even talk about how my face looks . . . I'm still trying to get to that 20 something body and face via the scale.

Though I do believe exercise goes a long way to help us reach our goals, it all starts in the kitchen. My suggestion would be to take a few days and really pay attention to what you are eating and look at ways you can tweak your diet. I remember, no cheese or no mayo on my sandwiches, they were still good, I would add tomatoes and try different types of mustard's. Cooking with olive oil or just really taking a moment to try new or simply prepared foods, boot-camp training for my taste-buds, the thing is you start feeling better and with exercise you get an added boost.

One other thing that really makes a difference in my day is pre-logging, seeing it can do wonders for cutting your appetite for that cookie or candy . . .
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest trick is to find something you enjoy - whether it’s yoga or kettlebells or running. What makes you feel good? What is something you want to do. From a diet perspective it’s the same thing. Finding meals and joy in things you like and are good for you. I fail miserably when I try and “diet”.
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been back and forth with MFP since 2011, well its interesting to see that I have remained the same weight for a while.Now I do log in everything I eat and count calories. For the first time in a while I am actually loosing weight. So its true to pre-log really does help. I visualize and the eating programme I am on is balanced, few calories and at the end of the day I am so tired. Its my first week, so my body is adjusting. My doctors have encouraged me to see a dietician but then I fail also, as soon as it is a :diet: then,,,,, oh dear. I am loving my food and actually appreciating it more as I feel guilt free. I just hope ladies I can keep it up as I always have a two week stint then fail. Now I will try and pass the two week mark.