Which yoghurt to buy lchf

Options
xshandyx
xshandyx Posts: 26 Member
Ok, so I know yoghurt is good for you, but which one do I buy, I go looking and freek out about how many carbs are in them all..

Replies

• DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Unflavored, whole milk yoghurt has the lowest carbs.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m in the US so not applicable to everyone. There are 2 that I use. Kalona Super Natural Organic Greek whole milk plain yogurt with 3g carbs/110g serving. I find this in the “natural” food section of HyVee grocery store. Super thick, tart, and very filling. Kite Hill plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt with 1g carb/150g serving. Very thin and not as satisfying, but good in a pinch. I buy this at Whole Foods.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Here's Cornucopia's Yogurt Scorecard:

https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/yogurt/

Kalona is among the top-rated brands. (Dannon, Yoplait not so much....)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I buy organic, unsweetened, natural full-fat Greek yoghurt.
    Unbeatable.
    Makes great labneh, too.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I don’t know where you are based so don’t know what’s available to you but I adore plain Greek yogurt and my absolute favourite is Fage, it’s very thick and creamy. I often eat extremely low carb and still manage to fit a yogurt in every day.

Whatever yogurt you choose, if you always buy plain it should be a lot lower carbs than the flavoured varieties.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Agree with the plain Greek being the lowest in carbs per availability in my area. Fage Total (9 carbs/cup) is my favorite full fat version. I usually eat the more generic Taste of Inspirations nonfat plain for 90 fewer calories and only 10 carbs per cup. I get plenty of fat elsewhere. Aside from the fact that I like it, Greek yogurt is a protein source for me.
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make my own in the Instant Pot.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Chobani plain has only 6g of carbs.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Or plain Whole Milk Quark is an acceptable alternative at 5g carbs packing a whopping 14g protein. Although they do offer favored versions which are much higher in carb content, the plain Quark is also really simple easy to flavor.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Siggi's plain while milk yogurt is my favorite. I'm not a big unflavored yogurt person, but this is my go-to for my morning smoothie.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Stonyfield Plain whole milk yogart at Krogers. Although I am intrigued with the idea of making my own.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Make your own, it is easy and no sugar added (unless you add it). Re-constitute powdered milk using twice as much powder as the recipe calls for. Mix it with warm water (not hot). Add a little bit of store-bought yogurt as a starter. Put in a clean container in a warm spot overnight and you have yogurt. Easy to make, cheap to make. After eating that, you will consider other yogurts as sickly sweet. I add fruit to my yogurt and that is it (I know lots don't eat fruit here). I suppose you could eat it plain with some artificial sweetener also.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Fage total is what I buy!
  • xshandyx
    xshandyx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went looking again at the supermarket found two to try
    One is danone yopro has 7.4 carbs and 15.2 protein..
    Procal has 8.7 carbs and 20 protein..
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    xshandyx wrote: »
    I went looking again at the supermarket found two to try
    One is danone yopro has 7.4 carbs and 15.2 protein..
    Procal has 8.7 carbs and 20 protein..

Great tip: I have to say, if it's a good deal more protein than carbs, for me, it's a winner and no-brainer... ;)
  • physio52
    physio52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In the UK I buy Yeo full fat yogurt