Coconut oil and gym workouts

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
I typically do gym - 90% weight / machine three times a week - 50 minutes in the late morning. I eat breakfast at 9:15. I'm on a 50 carb keto - with coconut oil- heaping tablespoon three times a day. I'm on keto for both weight loss and neurodegenerative issues.

Is their any advantage to having the breakfast coconut oil closer to gym time?

I don't expect gym to deal with weight loss - just do it for health and flexibility and co-ordination. I'm trying to optimize the brain usage of coconut oil.

Replies

• my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is said to boost metabolism so is green tea, I drink a bulletproof green tea before working out and it seems to help me
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Coconut oil is said to boost metabolism so is green tea, I drink a bulletproof green tea before working out and it seems to help me

Is the green tea part of the magic - or just a carrier for the oil? - I'm perfectky happy eating MCT oil by the tablespoon
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Green tea has astounding benefits. You really need to get it and drink it!
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

So does coconut oil! That's why I combine both, they're both so good for you. I use coconut oil for just about everything, no joke even laundry when the kids get gum stuck on their clothes
  • Bob314159
    Options
    I have a ton of it around - rest of the family drinks it - but i only like black tea - and sometimes macha
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've run a few 5ks recently fasted (with exception of a scoop of UCAN superstarch) at the end of a 19-hr fast and would get weak after 2-miles. Ate a tsp of coconut oil (and starch) before race today and pr'ed by 1-min on a hilly course for this year. The oil is great right before working out while fasted IMO!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

such as....?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Green tea has caffeine and consumption of caffeine will definitely boost workout results because it's a stimulant. Black tea or coffee would produce the same results.

Will the coconut oil boost performance? I think that largely depends on you. Are you having difficulty completing your workout? Do you feel like you are running out of energy? Are you great at the beginning and struggling at the end? If yes, then probably coconut oil would help.

Would taking it before a workout boost brain uptake of coconut oil? I think probably, yes. Because any workout out is going to stimulate your cardiovascular system to some degree.
    That by it's very nature that will mean that your brain has increased access to whatever is circulating in your bloodstream.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad "Green Tea and Catechins for Cardiovascular Health" NIH article:
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18691042
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love pure c8 as does my clean house. Pure energy, like a certain illicit drug I won't mention... I do 3 tbsp which I don't recommend until you're ready, unless you want to be on the toilet for 12 hours.