will one meal throw me out!!??

Options
I've been doing well, I think and I'm slowly loosing weight and certainly sticking to Keto and also mainly IF at about 16/8 or 18/6 most days. From Friday I'm away with family for a week but I will be in charge of the food for that week so hopefully not much of a problem. The following week we will be staying in hotels and I'm fairly sure I can make the right choices, as long as I can leave some carbs for wine >:) ....anyhow there is one night when we are going to a really excellent restaurant and having their tasting menu and accompanying wines..........it's a present and I would like to enjoy it but I don't want all this work to have been for nothing! Will it stop me being fat adapted, which I think I am currently and if so; is it something you have to start at the beginning with and wait weeks again? I know that if I'm out of Keto I can get back in within a day or two but 'fat adaption' I have no idea as this concept is new to me. Thanks

Replies

• kristenhuckaby
    kristenhuckaby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It can but if you've been doing keto for a while, you can usually get back in pretty quickly - just don't let 1 meal derail you for a longer term - good luck!!!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, Sunny_bunny, I doubt I'll have a problem with sugar, I'm one of those weird people who doesn't really like sweet things (but don't let me near potato chips or a bowl of nuts >:) ) My worry was going way over my carbs but hopefully that won't throw me out of the changes I've managed. I know the water gain......so easy to gain, so hard to loose! Still I hope I'm now in the mind set to keep on going once the meal is over and fortunately dry red does it for me, along with extra dry champagne, but that's another story! I just didn't want to throw this effort out the window for one meal, no matter how splendid. Good news is the place is a bit into taste and presentation and not large quantities so I may be reporting back in a couple of weeks time that I didn't even go over my calories, never mind carbs! Thanks for your time.
  • natedecker13
    natedecker13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, as long as you keep it to that one meal and come right back to your keto way of eating you will only notice a stall in your progression. Last year I chose to have a couple off weekends and get right back on the plan. Just stalled my progression a bit. The faster i come back to the keto way of eating and keeping ketones in the blood the better i felt and rebounded.

That is my experience so take it with a grain of salt.... Enjoy that dinner!
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just got back from 4 days at universal in Orlando and kinda went carb crazy or should I say ice cream and brownie crazy. Had one big dessert each day just to see what would happen. Toothsome chocolate factory has great desserts btw. Gained 5 lbs in 3 days from the carbs believe it’s water retention or just the extra rest I got. I’ve been back for 4 days haven’t lost any weight yet. But I feel great and been back keto’ing. Waiting on blood ketone test strips. Hopefully they’ll be in tomorrow will definitely know then. Felt fine the whole time and I ate 100+ grams of carbs for those desserts. My blood glucose is reading in the 80’s fed. Haven’t tested fasted, will in the morning. You’ll be fine like they said above fat adaption isn’t something you lose after a meal or 2 or even 3. Keto is a lifestyle and all about the individual and how they’ll handle the “cheat meal” mentally. Just don’t jump off the keto boat cause a few indulgences. Pass the butter plzs.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Thanks for all your help. Just started our jaunt away, certain won't have to worry about gaining weight if all days are like today, actually like yesterday now! Daughter failed to get her packing sorted for her and the kids to come with us, so we took the kids and she comes with the baby tomorrow, net result more or less failed to eat today, now settled down with a glass of wine, who needs fat? well I had some cheese with it! Great thing is I must be fat adapted as really wasn't hungry so counting it as an extended fast now broken with wine!