Holy Freaking Cow!!

Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
TMI follows:

Right I eat vegetables, love a salad, I really do. I am one of these saddo's who can sit there and crunch on sticks of celery as I actually really like it!

So yesterday I cooked the most amazing steaks, wow! But OH wanted some peas with said steak, so me being me, thought hmmm... make them more keto friendly, smother them in butter, cook up some bacon and panchetta, mix it all in and it should still be higher than I like in carbs but the flavors should be immense.

I was so right btw, it really worked well.

But here goes, WTF I eat plenty veg but this flatulence from the peas is like death creeped up my backside when I did not look and set up residence. There is no way I can go outside without killing someone. I am actually quite mortified. This is actually on par with being glutened. Absolutely not funny at all.

I eat veg every day, fruit now and then.... but erm.... I really liked the peas we had last night, just not the unfortunate side effects. I definitely get enough fiber, I happily much away on raw cauliflower and celery at work. I eat peppers, tomatoes, onions, steamed broccoli etc.

Any idea of how to avoid last nights weapon of mass destruction? I really liked the peas mixed with the butter and bacon and panchetta, but OMG I cannot do this toxic side effect again. Any advice apart from building up a pea tolerance daily?

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    You have this problem when you add legumes to your diet. Try some beano next time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I agree - some sort of digestive enzyme (of which Beano is one type) would probably help with the gas production issue. I used Beano for a while before I discovered I needed more digestive boost and switched to more comprehensive ones...
  • Bonny132
    Is it a low carb thing? I have eaten peas since I was born, I was brought up on pea soup, every Tuesday was peasoup followed by pancakes. I also eat cabbage, raw/cooked you name it. This really was my first pass me the gas mask experience, and pretty horrifying. If I am glutened I know and I expect this kind of thing, but never from veg, hence the question. I don't want to go out for dinner with friends and ending up like last night.

PS what is Beano? Type of beans?
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Can’t help w yr problem but from the Beano website:

“Unlike other gas and bloating medicines, Beano contains a natural digestive enzyme that can help prevent gas from beans before it starts.”
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Beano is a pill you can get that was named that because their slogan is "Take Beano before a meal, and there will bean no gas!"

I think our digestion changes...and improves, becomes more efficient. Pea soup means you don't have to break down the hard outer shell - it's the hardest to digest. Most likely, you passed any solid peas through before without breaking them down at the stage it creates gas as a byproduct... Or you're just getting more efficient and breaking things down but not at carrying them away. There's so many different reasons it could be.

I find any time I carb or fiber up, I get that reaction...the mustard gas the enemy stuff...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    peas are not a vegetable - peas are a legume...like beans beans the musical fruit
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @Bonny132 lamented:

WTF I eat plenty veg but this flatulence from the peas is like death creeped up my backside when I did not look and set up residence. :mrgreen:

There is no way I can go outside without killing someone.
    >:)

Go back to cabbage soup diet?

(Turn pants inside out?)
  • Bonny132
    @RalfLott Cabbage soup? You really do want me to kill off the whole neighbourhood lol

Tried it at Uni, 5 girls living together on the cabbage soup diet.... we had to air the house out for days afterwards.

Just a shame the peas enjoys saying hello to everyone so much. The mix between the peas, pancetta and streaky bacon with the rest of the juices mixed in was really tasty. Guess it is one dish that is definitely off my diet.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    I just got the same result from black bean pasta... but couldn't figure out the cause til I read this, so thanks! Silent but deadly
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Hi, Not sure if this works with peas to limit explosion and minimize danger to the atmosphere, but it does for beans, assuming you are not doing the cooking using tins of beans! After soaking bring the beans to the boil, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain them and refresh under cold water, then using fresh cold water bring to the boil again and simmer until almost done, add the salt at this point (not before as it makes the skins hard) and leave for a few minutes until the beans/ chick peas or whatever are ready, then drain and hopefully eat without poisoning those around you! I love beans and can eat without problem but they are sooooo high carb!!! >:)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Just an FYI Beano used to contain gluten. Not sure if it still does but definitely double check before you use it since you mentioned gluten issues!
  • Bonny132
    I don't eat much peas or beans. I usually stick with green salads, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, peppers and cucumber. I guess I now have figured out why lol

I did find some glutenfree Beano tablets at Amazon, but wow £1 almost per tablet inclusive of postage and packing. Quite steep, not found the drops though.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Your in UK, I'm in USA.
    Peas, shelled (call them English peas) according to the USDA database on nutrition says 14.15 carbs 5.7 g fiber per/100 grams
    I think this is the pea you are referring to in this case.

Do they have sugar snap peas in England? You don't shell them, you eat the pod and all, it does much better at
    7.55 carbs 2.6 fiber. This is what we eat when we have to have a change of menu. Don't do them often but they are great with just butter, salt and pepper.

I haven't tried this with peas, but used it a lot in the olden days of carb addiction with legumes. Toss a teaspoon of baking soda in the water you cook the beans in, when they are done drain that water, and cook in broth or whatever fats you want to use. Lentils in butter are awesome, but I don't eat those anymore.

Good luck finding a solution.
  • Bonny132
    Thank you for the advice.

It was English beans yes, at 4carbs and 38kcal for 50g I thought I would treat myself to a new vegetable. We do have sugar snap peas too, but harder to get those than mangetout which seems to be what the Brits prefer as they are everywhere, and they are 4.2carbs per 100g so slightly lower than the sugar snap peas.

I get sugar snap peas when I can, I quite like those, I eat them raw and have never encountered this issue with those. But then again I do a handful only at a time. I might try them with butter and salt, sounds lush.