Keto vs Low carb

Options
GlassAngyl
GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
I still keep messing up. I'm determined but my telltale rebellion has me over eating when I get pissy over avoiding some of my favorite tubers.. like potatoes. When I just was low carb and ate potatoes, I was staying under and didn't feel deprived.. (I know..I don't HAVE to do keto.. I can just go low carb..) But I really want to see what everyone is talking about on increased energy and mental clarity...as well as the being less hungry bit. I already experience some of it. Like I can go a few days feeling less hungry.. then I end up having a 3k-4K calorie day.. That's messed up. I have naturally plateaued thanks to this.. I lost 15lbs and gained 5 back when I started struggling to cut carbs to 20g or less. I feel better health wise, but not energetic.

Keto experts.. those who have done this for awhile and reaped the benefits. Any of you struggle at first until you out stubborned yourself and succeeded?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't have any keto advice for you, I'm one of the lucky ones I guess who hasn't had any trouble going keto. I seem to be able to reach ketosis at a higher carb level too, like 30, 40, maybe even 50g and I'm still there.

Have you tested for ketones at all? If not, you might already be hitting ketosis at a higher carb level. IIRC Phinney & Volek say anything under 50g net / day is potentially ketogenic levels. The 20g net comes from Atkins Introduction I believe, and is that low because that virtually guarantees anyone will be in ketosis at that point.

I would suggest though that if you are struggling with the 20g level and you were doing well with a slightly higher carb level, then maybe just stick with the level you were comfortable with? Unless there's some specific medical reason, but from the sounds of it, it's more a matter of curiosity?
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    but from the sounds of it, it's more a matter of curiosity?

Curiosity. I haven't tested for ketones.. I figured I'd know if I noticed a major difference. According to those I've spoken with who maintain ketosis, there was a significant change for them. Weight loss slowed to the same as any calorie deficient diet but with a noticeable increase in energy and lack of hunger. Hunger is better controlled on low carb for me but I crave the energy increase.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have craving and energy problems the first 2-3 of days but once I get firmly in Keto my energy levels go through the roof. It is when I eat starch that I crave and get lethargic. I personally can't eat tubers but I can lose weight with small daily amounts of beans. I also can stay in Keto when I have moderate amounts of carbs ie 40-80grams but if the carbs are starch, from potatoes, rice, oatmeal, sugar or bread it doesn't work. I can eat almost any amount of vegetables and small amount of berries as well. Nuts I also have to measure.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    radiii wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Hunger is better controlled on low carb for me but I crave the energy increase.

My personal experience with keto (18 months a couple years ago and again for the last 8 weeks) is that my "energy increase" isn't really a burst of extra energy than normal, its the removal of the crashes and lethargy that I felt when eating poorly and forcing constant blood sugar swings with a crappy way of eating. So I don't feel supercharged or anything... just normal. But normal is pretty great compared to my alternative.

Others may certainly have different experiences.

Totally the same for me.

@GlassAngyl are you getting any exercise? I mostly into brisk walking only but it does boost my energy. It feels good to know I'm doing something more for my health than "just eating properly". It isn't always easy to put on my walking shoes and step out the door but I always feel better in mind, body, spirit for doing it. Sunshine, fresh air and good walking music. Win.

I do walk here and there. I go to the beach a lot as well. I use to walk more but it never increased my energy..I had to drag myself out.. but I am less lathargic cutting back on carbs and walking (though still a mental push unless it's something I'm interested in like looking for seashells) has been less stressful. I don't collapse on the couch now in utter exhaustion. I walk a mile or more when I do walk. I would be fine up to .7 miles then I wouldn't be able to speak and my 2.5mph would slow to 4mph. Now I can walk the whole mile, help my sister up the stairs with the stroller, and jump in the shower right away. I suppose that is a significant change.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, that binge-type insane compulsion you get to eat them after any 2-5 or more days of compliance can actually be related to candida or other bacteria dying off in your gut. It's disturbing, but google it. Reading the gross description may help you break through that brain-panic phase and move forward...

I didn't think of that. I had a bad outbreak of it and used that "OMG Someone kill me now!" spray to kill it. It said use for 14 days but it would just come back. I battled it for almost a year before deciding 14 days wasn't enough and used it for 2 months straight. It dissapeared after 14 days.. I used it regardless.. it came back with a vengeance WHILE USING IT and didn't disappear for another 10 days. It stayed gone for the extra 5 weeks I used that spray. That was 2 years ago and it hasn't returned.. but I have been battling these itchy burning red patches beside my nose and sides of my mouth. The only thing I could find online was periodal dermatitis.. it would fade then come back over and over. I've no issues with it since going low carb. It started to itch again when I went out to eat at steak and shake which made me think maybe I was allergic to gluten.. but candida sounds more likely.

NOW I have a reason to go hard core! If I know what's wrong, I can battle it without asking myself why am I doing this every time I feel deprived. It's not deprivation if it has a reason.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    kikisf wrote: »
    I have craving and energy problems the first 2-3 of days but once I get firmly in Keto my energy levels go through the roof. It is when I eat starch that I crave and get lethargic. I personally can't eat tubers but I can lose weight with small daily amounts of beans. I also can stay in Keto when I have moderate amounts of carbs ie 40-80grams but if the carbs are starch, from potatoes, rice, oatmeal, sugar or bread it doesn't work. I can eat almost any amount of vegetables and small amount of berries as well. Nuts I also have to measure.

I just can't get into nuts. I tried in the beginning of the diet, but they are hard to choke down. I'm not allergic, yet for some reason I haven't found any I can stand. I LOVE pumpkin seeds.. but I saw the carbs on those! :neutral:

Potatoes.. That is my weakness. They made an awesome substitute for bread. Sausage gravy over home fries...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kikisf wrote: »

I just can't get into nuts. I tried in the beginning of the diet, but they are hard to choke down. I'm not allergic, yet for some reason I haven't found any I can stand. I LOVE pumpkin seeds.. but I saw the carbs on those! :neutral:

Potatoes.. That is my weakness. They made an awesome substitute for bread. Sausage gravy over home fries...

Any pumpkin seeds I've eaten had 3 grams of carbs/2 grams of fiber per quarter cup of the shelled kind. 1net carb. I consider that pretty low carb. Perhaps you looked at a bag of the kind that are sugared and spiced? I eat a lot of sunflower seeds and would eat more pumpkin seeds but the shelled kind are not available in the stores I regularly shop. I get them when I'm across town at Trader Joe's.

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of keto. I do the pee sticks because I read in the beginning they let you know that you are producing ketones but as I get more into it, I'll have to move up to breath or blood. Anyway, I am exhausted at night...like it's 730 and I would love to go to bed. I normally go to bed 1030 or so but it's been 930ish...earlier if I didn't a family to deal with lol.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ketogenic shortcuts? It sounds like low carb works well for you so maybe adding exogenous ketones might give you the brain energy boost that some of us feel. Using MCT oil or coconut oil or taking ketone esters will give you the ketones without eating low carb.

Keep in mind that not everyone experiences a cognitive boost. I did BUT it was probabl;y because I had slipped a bit downhill. I was not as sharp as before and eating ketogenic diets brought me back to normal. Perhaps you are already normal so there will be no boost. :)
  • CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that having more healthy fat (vs having more protein in a traditional low carb diet) has helped me tremendously in the way of mood and just managing stress. However, this is me. It works better for my biochemistry . I know my hormones are out of wack so I have adjusted my dietary intake accordingly. You need to experiment to see what works for you and your body.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I will ditto what the others have said. Its not an "ants in your pants" kind of energy but the ability to keep moving at a steady pace all day. No crashes, no sleepies, no OMG I have 2 more hours of work left and all I want to do is take a nap lol
    I just recognised reading this and seeing my husband having a nap on the settee (!) that the energy thing people talk about has happened to me too! B)
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, that binge-type insane compulsion you get to eat them after any 2-5 or more days of compliance can actually be related to candida or other bacteria dying off in your gut. It's disturbing, but google it. Reading the gross description may help you break through that brain-panic phase and move forward...

Where is the best source to read up on that google has opinions going both ways.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @Vladaar, look at the date of the opinions, the research done and the data presented. Sometimes, you just have to go with your own research experience, and impressions....
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Vladaar, look at the date of the opinions, the research done and the data presented. Sometimes, you just have to go with your own research experience, and impressions....

I do, certainly not interested in bashing I just wanted to read the same info. I know some members get off on trying to say your wrong if you dont have verifed scientific proof.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    [ edited:

This might help with that problem.
    https://lifeisbetterwithbutter.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/low-carb-sausage-gravy-good-morning/

Gluten free recipe for sausage gravy and a video on making biscuits to put it on, both very low carb.

It can be hard giving up former loves, especially sweets and some of the comfort carbs. Home made bread was a hard one for me. But in the end it is worth it. Find a few good substitute recipes for things you REALLY can not live without, use them for the occasional treat meals. And just get on with your weight loss.

All the best in your Journey.