"It's just too expensive!"

Options
2»

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Doing IF, the ultimate LC diet while your fasting, costs nothing!
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's about the same for us. I've always bought in season and stocked up when things were on sale and never did buy a lot of high carb processed food. There are some pricey new items on my grocery list now, like Rao's pasta sauce and almond meal, but I don't buy Texmati rice anymore and my bread and pasta expenses have dropped to zero. It works out to be about the same.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also think about food in terms of "calories per dollar". Fat is cheaper in terms of calories per dollar than carbs are.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read all the responses so maybe my opinion has already been represented but I think it’s cheaper.
    I think the only way it’s more expensive is if you try to make substitute foods for all your previous high carb favorites. If you just give those up instead of recreating them then you don’t need to buy expensive flours and ingredients.
    Literally the only thing you need to buy is meat and whatever vegetables you like. That’s all. You were probably already buying meat so that’s nothing different. And instead of buying bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, chips and soda you only need to buy vegetables.
    If someone isn’t able to cut their bill down it’s because they are making low carb faux foods. Those are an option. Totally unnecessary and if your budget doesn’t allow it then don’t do it. There’s also no need to buy packaged low carb products. That stuff is basically convenient junk food. It’s not real food.
    Stick to real food and it will actually cost less.

This, pretty much for me.

The only thing I have around the house that I didn't have before is stevia versus the pink/blue/yellow stuff. What I no longer spend on "sweets/treats/snacks" gets spent on meat and vegetables. I've had things like ghee, coconut oil and avocado oil around the house forever but none of them are a low carb or keto requirement (IMO). I tried the "sweet" route with some Swerve and specialty flours and jumped off that wagon quickly. I overate that stuff just like I over ate oreos. YMMV. My habits of eating high-er amounts of nuts/seeds/coconut etc come and go. I'm often better off not having those around too, so I've learned...
  • Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently tried out an egg fast. My local Walmart sells a box of 60 eggs for $1.88. Groceries were dirt cheap that week! Switching to low carb is actually cheaper for my husband and I because before we would order out dinner probably 5 nights a week, and he would eat out lunch 5 days a week. So even though I am buying more expensive groceries, it is still less than all of the restaurant meals we were paying for.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Walmart...I just watched a short youtube video of a guy who lost a few hundred pounds and started by clearing all the food from his house then walked every day to Walmart (a mile away) to get something for a meal. Sometimes 3 times a day so 6 miles a day.
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Figaver wrote: »
    I recently tried out an egg fast. My local Walmart sells a box of 60 eggs for $1.88. Groceries were dirt cheap that week! Switching to low carb is actually cheaper for my husband and I because before we would order out dinner probably 5 nights a week, and he would eat out lunch 5 days a week. So even though I am buying more expensive groceries, it is still less than all of the restaurant meals we were paying for.

I'm not familiar with an 'egg fast', is it basically an eggs only diet for a few days?
  • Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with an 'egg fast', is it basically an eggs only diet for a few days?

I followed the “rules” from this article. I only did 3 days for my first attempt, and honestly that was enough for me.
    http://www.mysweetketo.com/5-days-egg-fast/
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I find that if you eat naturally low carb food and you aren't trying to replace the carb laden stuff you use with substitutes that the cost is comparable. I don't believe you need to create substitutes for breads and pastas. Honestly, I feel that is detrimental to moving to real foods, if I try to find 'substitutes' for the junk I used to eat.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I think the cost evens out because I'm not as hungry and I don't eat nearly as much. My husband is a carb eater and he snacks 100 times a day. I eat two meals, coffee and cream, and a little snack before bed. Much less food.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The two of us (age 62, 66) budget $400 a month for consumables (food and things like toilet paper). Most of it is bought at Sams Warehouse, Costco and Aldi. There are months that we can't even spend the budgeted amount. Our food portion sizes have gotten smaller, which helps. We recently had company (our age) and were astounded at how much they ate!!

As we decrease in size. our spending on new clothing has increased, so we mostly shop warehouse, store clearance or outlet mall. Overall we are saving tons of money by not eating prepared foods and not buying expensive medications for diabetes. New clothes are a nice benefit.

It is easy to make excuses, but not so easy living with the long term consequences of having a sick body. Good luck with your friend!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Also think about food in terms of "calories per dollar". Fat is cheaper in terms of calories per dollar than carbs are.

That's a really good point.