Upping carbs= wanting to eat more??

Options
erika_307
erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
I’ve been doing keto, and I recently reached my goal weight, so I upped my carbs from 20g net carbs to 50g total carbs, and added about 250 calories. Now, I find that I want to eat a lot more. I don’t have cravings for anything in particular, but I feel like I just want to eat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs will do that to you. It's because they don't satiate as much as protein.
    This is my discovery for myself, anyway.
    Goal weight reach? Maintain with fats. Not carbs.

That way lies perdition.

Speaking for myself, the whole point of my going Low-carb was to eliminate the completely useless and utterly unnecessary food component we all eat far too much of in the first place - ! :D
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to go with a higher carb meal or day, then I do it in the evening, so I sleep through that craving cycle that carbs seem to trigger. Carbs with dinner, workout, shower, sleep...no time for hunger.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That was definitely true for me. Also true for me if I used sweeteners.
    I think the idea of keeping your first meals very low and including any extra carbs in your evening meal is a good strategy if you want more carbs. It also aligns with many experts recommendations for best timing.
    Dr Bernstein says for each of the 3 meals to use 6/6/12. If you’re not diabetic and wanting to be closer to 50g maybe try 12/12/24 ???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Starchy carbs beget starchy carbs for me.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the more carbs, the more hunger.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Very true for me.

I hit maintenance a couple of years ago. I slowly added in more carbs and I slowly gained more weight. Some sort of combination of adding carbs makes me eat more and I tend to gain weight easier when my calories are carbs Double whammy.

I find staying under 20g is good for me for weight, but I feel best and lose easiest when I take carbs close to zero on most days.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Yes, the more carbs I eat the more I want to eat, I get cravings, not for anything in particular, I just want to eat more and more and more.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I’m going to try staying under 40g total carbs this next week. Maybe jumping right up to 50g was too much. Having any higher carb foods in the evening also makes sense. I do that with my sugar free jello because sweeteners tend to make me want to eat more too.