Protein sources

Options
KBMillz
KBMillz Posts: 3 Member
Hi All. I'm trying to hit 30% protein for my daily macros and am having a hell of a time getting even above 15%! Most of the protein sources I eat also contain a significant amount of carbs or fat (i.e., beans, eggs, nuts, cheese).
Just wondering if any of y'all have found a good balance for how to get those macro numbers balanced. Any meal/snack/food recommendations are very welcomed!

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, tofu, edamame, the whole line of meat-like products. I personally adore Morningstar breakfast sausages with my eggs in the morning!
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm into tempeh lately. And tofu scrambles. But I am not sure if they are high in carbs or not. If you enjoy smoothies maybe you can add protein powder.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love for my protein intake to be solely from food, I can't always do it so I invest in a good and tasty protein powder. If you're veggie rather than vegan, casein (milk) protein aims to keep you fuller for longer so is a great bed time snack but can be very filling during the day, much more so than whey. However, it tends to be chalkier and harder to find a good tasting one.

Protein shakes aren't just for body builders at the gym, they're for anyone who is struggling to get in their daily protein intake. :smile:
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey protein and casein is what I take as protein supplements
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    nonfat greek yogurt, protein powder (I mix it in my oatmeal), edamame, lentils and baked tofu are some things I eat for protein. Lately I have been depending on protein bars too, I really like the thinkthin ones because they're low in sugar!
  • DanielKurnath
    DanielKurnath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beyond Meat, Morningstar Farms, and Gardein all make some really good high protein mock meats. As others have said protein powders are a good way to boost if you're trying to hit specific macro ratios.
  • alybran
    alybran Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I won't repeat what others have said, but PB2 powder is another option. It's basically powdered peanut butter that you add water to in order to make a paste. It has way less fat than regular peanut butter. It's a great addition for smoothies or oatmeal!