The Mental Struggle

Options
jamielslater
jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
Hi friends. I was sleeved 10/5/16 so I am just over a year out. My HW 241, SW 217, GW 145, CW 137 I am 41 and 5'4.5". I am very happy with my weight and although I am slightly under my goal I am doing well at maintaining this weight so far.

What I am really struggling with is head hunger and the old habit of just wanting to eat. I just bought the book"The Emotional First + Aid Kit" second edition and have just started reading it. I am absolutly terrified of gaining my weight back. Anyone that is a veteran that has advice on getting my heaf to catch up I would really appriciate.

Thank you.

Replies

• thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far...You're doing great.

I am just 2 months post-RNY, so a veteran I am not. However, I have had similar issues with "head hunger". Most of mine is managed by keeping myself busy though. I find it only gets bad when I'm sitting in my chair doing some work late in the evening or watching TV. I hope it gets a little easier down the road.

Good luck to you, and thanks for the tip on the book.

:)
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 4/18/16 and since March I am playing with 10 pounds - I definitely have Head hunger and I go to weekly weight watchers meetings to keep a more accurate tab on my weight since my home scale is kept in a closet till we weigh ourselves so the calibration may be off. Really wanting to get 10-15 pounds more off, and will look into that book as well.

I would say to try and find something to distract you like going for a walk, reading a book, etc. I am going to try and brush my teeth when that happens and I am trying to drink water flavored with crystal light or something so I get flavor and hope that works.

I am trying to be really good about tracking and meal planning as well.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on 3 years in January since I met the surgical team (VSG Mar 2015) and started changing my eating/moving habits. I've heard and read a lot about "head hunger". I would describe it more as processed food hunger/cravings. Typically when I have experienced this it's because I'm thinking of a processed food. I never get head hunger for a salad, lol.

I see a lot of MFP friends eating lots of processed foods but keeping their calories low. I think that can work but it will be a struggle. Even the "good" processed foods like the shake mixes, protein bars, etc I think lead to cravings. And to me, they don't really fill me up. I'm not perfect with my diet but I try to stick with whole foods or minimally processed. I think by doing this I'm able to eat more throughout the day and stay satieted. Basically, when I get hungry I eat a little, and when I start to get full, I stop. I probably have 10-15 eating events a day. Most are small snacks like nuts, cheese, fruit, veggies. I have 1-3 "real" meals a day that are a little more substantial. I don't count calories but if I did I'm sure I'm well above 2,000 a day and maybe close to 4,000 on heavy exercise days.

Another thing I've tried to do is get away from the "reward" system of eating and exercising. I'll eat more on heavy exercise days because I'm hungry. But I still try to eat the same types of food. I think a lot of people think they can have that cookie or muffin or ice cream regularly if they put in an extra few minutes on the treadmill. I treat myself from time to time when I go to a party or something but I don't have "junk" food in the house nor do I seek it out.

To me, it's all about changing habits. The longer I go with healthy habits, the easier it is to stick with them. :D
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    I don't count calories but if I did I'm sure I'm well above 2,000 a day and maybe close to 4,000 on heavy exercise days.

You by no means would have to do this, but I think you should just take like 1 regular day and 1 exercise day and actually count your calories. Not because I dont trust your estimates (I fully believe you), but I am always so curious as to what you are eating.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Bekah7482 I've actually thought about logging for an entire week just to see. My meals are so random throughout day but I'll make it a point to log soon. The calories get high sometimes because I don't worry about fat.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    @Aztec4Life when you do let me know. I would be curious to look at it. I like to peak around the diaries of those who are more athletic/physically active and farther out from surgery than me. Helps me prepare for the long term action plan and not only the right now since I know that the hunger, cravings and old habits wont stay away forever.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. This is helpful. I am enjoying this journey.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Totally I real thing. The morning after surgery I could smell the breakfasts being delivered to patients in other hospital rooms, and I was so hungry for everything. I wanted bacon and toast! Totally head hunger because how could I actually have been hungry? It’s the wanting/craving of things you can’t (shouldn’t) have.

If head hunger kicks in, reach for protein :)