First cut complete

TripleJ3
TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
I just completed my first cut. Today I’m back to eating TDEE. I went with a 6 week cut to start slow. The 1st week I did a 5% cut then started subtracting 50 calories until I reached the 10% cut. I ate at 10% for 4 weeks.

I’m a little disappointed with the fact I didn’t have a loss. I was hoping for half an inch around the waist or maybe a 2lb loss. I realize what I hoped isn’t what is to be true, and I know it’s going to be slow...I just mentally needed that going in the right direction encouragement. I’m telling myself at least there was no gain, although I am trying to ignore the fact my waist was up a centimeter or two but that can also be placement. I’ve never loved taking measurements since I never seem to hit the same spot twice!

I also am not sure where to go with workouts. I’ve worked out almost everyday starting at age 12. I’m about to turn 40...I feel as if I’ve done it all so I’m feeling uninspired. I’ve also become more sedentary so I also lowered my workout level. I have just been doing Piyo to help with issues I’ve been dealing with and hoping to heal instead of just trying to ignore. I usually run 3 miles twice a week in a group (it’s mainly a social thing) and I take my dog for a walk almost daily but he is a Pomeranian who only goes so long plus as most dog owners know, it’s a whole lot of stopping every 2-3 steps. We refer to it as a ‘drag around the block’. Lately he only walks a house or two then just wants to go back home. So I really don’t count these ‘walks’. The rest of my days have been more sitting and reading or crafting and I’m afraid to say, more Netflix than I’ve ever done before.

My goal is to fit in more movement and find a workout routine that keeps my interest. I’m actually enjoying the fact that I’m not beating up my body for once. I haven’t tried CrossFit but I’m also not sure I want to be that extreme anymore, either. I completed a triathlon to try something new. I did enjoy the cycling part, I’m just not a strong swimmer and don’t have access to an indoor pool at the moment. I feel like I’ve done every lifting sequence and I just can’t stay focused or interested.

I’m not sure that I’m really asking anything. I think I just want to put it out there and if any of y’all have suggestions or advice, I’m listening. I’m sure the time of year and all that’s going on on the home front has just got me in a temporary funk that’ll pass in no time, I just feel I’m a little lost at the moment and just need pointed in a new direction. Or maybe quit looking for something new, that can be part of the problem, too.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sounds like perhaps your deficit coincided with TDEE lowering because of seasonal changes.

In which case good call lowering the TDEE estimate, though I'd almost suggest use whatever the 10% deficit was as that appears to be the current level.

If workouts are getting that uninspired, and were done that frequently - perhaps time to take a break from them.

Find something you'll just plain enjoy doing that isn't viewed as a workout first - merely more movement.
    Maybe roller skating, adult scooter pushing around, trampoline, ect.

Perhaps that will allow enough fun stuff to include resistance training just for the fact it's good for you.

Going into winter always makes this more interesting too, trying to find stuff from limited selection.
  • TripleJ3
    @heybales I’ve been thinking on this all day and was wondering if I am indeed at TDEE. Would you suggest I go with the original plan and add the roughly 200 calories this week (up to my old projected TDEE) Or take it as I was still in a reset for the past 6 weeks and do a 10% cut from my new lower TDEE?

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If no activity tracker to confirm steps for activity going down, I'd just review what changes to daily/weekly schedule in last 6 weeks, compared to time before. 200 a day is a lot, unless big changes on weekend.

You may start to realize you are doing less, like maybe doggy used to stay out longer when warmer, and sunnier later, leading to longer walks, and more excited ones.
    Perhaps more yard stuff done, and until leave raking, less has been done.
    Stuff like that.

If you find confirmation in that sort of review - figure you've happened upon TDEE by coincidental timing and go for the 10% again.

If you can't find a decent reason for almost 1400 weekly, perhaps it wasn't that much.

When you think about it - 100 calories difference from true TDEE only leads to a slow 1 lb gain/loss of fat in 35 days.
    Easily masked by water weight if not 2 really good valid weigh-ins on each side of the time line.
    Like lower than normal sodium at the start causing less than normal water retained, and at the end higher sodium with higher water, could have lost 2 lbs of fat in there and totally be hidden.
    Combine with deficit only being 100 instead of 200 perhaps - now you really can't notice it.

So if you don't see clear reason for 1400 difference, maybe it was only 700 off real TDEE, and 6 weeks and water fluctuations made it impossible to see a little over a lb lost somewhere on body.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I'm sorry your cut didn't go as planned. Can you remind me how long you spent at TDEE in a reset or maintenance before you made the decision to cut?
    I know its hard, but you have to put "quick fixes" aside. In 6 weeks in perfect situations, a loss on the scale or loss in inches aren't a normal thing. One cut will not yield results. A cut is compounded by the effort put forth before the cut. So having a good Reset, hitting those macros spot on, consistent in eating and activity. Again, 6 weeks is not a long time.

As for workouts, did I just read you just came off of a triathlon? If so, then its no wonder why cut didnt go as you had hoped. Thats a LOT of endurance to be doing, and if your calorie level isnt supporting that activity level, it cannot get the energy it needs.
    Winter is always a hard time for people's activity levels. so if you need to adjust TDEE to support a lower activity level, then do so. Or the opposite side is many will take this opportunity to do a mini bulk and keep the cals up but activity low. This helps to build muscle and helps to replenish the food stores. (Just keep in mind a gain is likely during bulks)

If you are looking for more advice or support, please come join us on our facebook community. It is filled with many like minded individuals who can help you with suggestions and advice.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754102281470874/

Kelly
    Team EM2WL

• TripleJ3
    @Raynn1 I completed about an 11week reset, then slowly lowered to a 10% cut for 6 weeks
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Then I would look back over your reset and make sure you did in fact do what was needed - That you were consistent in hitting your calories, consistent in hitting the macros... getting in the water, getting in your activity etc..
    If you can honestly look back on your tracker and see with certainty 80%+ consistency in these things, then I would say your reset time wasn't long enough.
    If you can look back and these are not consistent for 80%+ of the time, then that is what you need to work on, and keep working on until they are consistent.

again, 11 weeks is not a long time at all. I rushed my first reset in 8 thinking it was all good, and I should see losses now.. but it wasn't until I stopped, really looked at what I needed to do, STEP BY STEP did I see that my macros were not at all consistent, let alone being hit properly. It took me over a year of a real and true reset to finally get to that point.
    When you rush through the reset, you end up taking several steps backwards. You must take it slow and commit to the process wholly.. And that can mean giving up on any time frame you have in your head in which this should take place in.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL