Calorie Restrictions on Keto and IF

Options
Goal179
Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
Hi Guys

I need some advice. I can't seem to find the answer to my specific question in any of my research. I am doing keto (LOVE LOVE LOVE it-has changed my life). Day 17. But I have also starting doing a 18:6 IF daily. Do I really need to eat at a calorie deficit? Isn't the fasting taking care of that already? I understand that I definitely should not eat more than I burn. My maintenance is about 2300 calories, as long as I stay below that, shouldn't I be good to go? I will be honest, right now I am eating at 1400 calories and I barely ever eat the full 1400 because of keto and not being hungry. But I am making an effort to eat more fatty foods and get a few more calories in during my window. The healthiest route to me seems to eat a good 1800 calories or so, get some exercise and keto on. Opinions? Studies? Judgement? I'll take all of it. LOL!!!

And just a FYI, the daily IF is aimed mainly at the health benefits and reversing some insulin. Keto, however, is my new lifestyle.

Thanks in advance pals

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just started keto but I've done other low-carb diets in the past. For me, I have a hard time getting more than 1500-1800 calories when avoiding carbs because I'm not eating calorie-dense foods (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc). I used to eat 16:8, but that's pretty much how I prefer to eat - not a breakfast person. If I were doing keto and IF, I would stand no chance of getting enough calories.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    About how much fat do you take in on those 1400 calories. You may not need to target fattier foods if losing body fat is the goal. Unless you are eating below a minimum healthy amount that is...
    You need a calorie deficit no matter how you eat. IF helps by keeping insulin low for extended periods of time but if you overeat in general later or eat at maintenance you won't lose body fat.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    dr berg on how to burn fat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk
  • syi510
    syi510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello. I too have started the IF method 16/8. I thought it was great as I was always stuffed when I ate my calories and was struggling to get my calories in so my body did not eat my muscles. Being a woman and doing IF can really mess up your hormones so be careful. Some side effects are missed periods, hair falling out, infertility, trouble sleeping and if your body is not hormonally balanced then you might not lose weight. This is not all women. I stopped IF everyday and started doing the crescendo intermittent fasting where u fast every other day so that my body would not get all whack! I'm sleeping better of course so will see how this goes. Sometimes it Sucks being a girl! LOL.
  • magerchuk
    magerchuk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of bulletproof coffee? I find straight fasting too difficult for me personally but if I have coffee with some coconut oil in the morning it keeps me satiated and its supposed to help you get into ketosis without you losing the benefits of your fast. I've lost a lot of weight since I've started intermittent fasting. :) Good luck
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was told in the beginning of keto not to stress calories, the main focus was getting into ketosis and then fat adaption. Increasing fat a bit if you're hungry can be really helpful! I'm doing intermittent fasting and keto, and I track all my foods, love being under my calorie goal (I have mfp set for a 25-30% deficit because I just wasn't hungry enough to have a smaller deficit), but if I go over I really don't worry about it. I do recommend not listening to the exercise calories - especially if you sync with a fitbit. MFP thinks I should eat a ton more on days when I'm just walking around! The cool thing about keto is your body starts to figure itself out and you don't have to worry so much about the counting. KCKO!
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You’ll lose weight for sure but I believe most don’t believe that women should fast more than 14 hours and only a few times a week. you probably need to up your cals. if your at your target weight that is. If your still trying to lose then keep doing what your doing now. Try avocados, seeds & nuts and some dairy if your not sensitive to it. Also I believe in eating to satiety. But 1/2 your maintance cals? Seem too low. I second he ketocoffee, I add a few extras to mine.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do keto with a 16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window. I work out in the mornings only drinking black coffee. I have plenty of energy don't feel weak at all. I do have issues sometimes getting close to the 1550 calories that MFP says I should have, I think that is because I don't eat breakfast. But I get close enough to close the diary for the day.