New to keto and need snack options

Options
verybusybee
verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
I have been doing really well but I was very hungry yesterday and felt stuck. I am a probation officer so I am often in my car or in court. I usually do cheese or broccoli bit I don't always have the option of keeping stuff cool. What snacks on the go would be good that do t have the stay cool.

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a package of sausage sticks in my car, just in case. Check the nutritional info, some do have carbs or sugar, but there are plenty that don't.

Nuts could be another good choice; almonds, pistachios, macadamia nuts, that sort of thing.
  • rmhartley7172
    rmhartley7172 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a life saver! No need for refrigeration so keeping them in your car would work!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Pick up an insulated lunch bag, it will help keep things cool enough. Hard cheeses won't go bad in a day (or a week), and string cheese in separate wrappers will stay good for a day.

Hard boiled eggs, Duke's shorty sausages, a thermos of soup or dinner, cut up chicken, olives, pickles, etc are all easy snack options to keep around.

If you're traveling a lot, take the time to come up with a list of "green-light" restaurants and meals-away-from-home. Walk through a good gas station (Kwik trip, Walla, etc) and take note of all the options they have that fit your meal/ snack plan. Get used to ordering foods not on the menu at restaurants (almost any restaurant can make you some baked or grilled chicken without spice or breading, or some eggs, or a plain steak, etc). Know what you're going to eat before you walk in the door, and don't look at the menu, order right away.
  • verybusybee
    Options
    All good options. I do keep and I dilated lunch box I can't have that in court and I think that was my problem yesterday. As for nuts. I thought is those but some have higher carbs so I try to e picky.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a life saver for me, they sell 1 tablespoon on the go packets, trader Joe's has them as well as most health food stores, it's 0 carbs and very satiating for me, I either eat it straight or put it in a cup of coffee.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like cheese, sausage, pork rines, almonds, pepperoni, 90% cacao dark chocolate, fat bombs, and drink tons and tons of water. If your eating proper fat levels you won't be hungry often anyway. Drink lots of water it is filling.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are olives, gherkins, salted nuts, boiled eggs, all the cheese lol, biersticks, pork rinds. :-)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in a patrol car too. I love HB eggs (left in the shell if it's warm out) or pickled eggs, pepperoni, walnuts, pecans, macadamias, pickles and olives, and cheese too. If I feel like a sweet something, I will bring a Muscle Milk 100 Cal Chocolate protein drink.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What about eating a good meal before work containing a decent portion of meat. I find meat, particularly beef to be the most satisfying for the most time.
  • verybusybee
    Options
    I like the muscle milk idea and the nuts. I do the cheese and eggs. I am just concerned about the nuts being high in carbs. For example today I have had a 3 egg omlette with ham and cheese and used 7 carbs. Even the nuts they suggest have like 5. That seems like a lot when you are trying to stay under 20 net. Or is this to little carbs?
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of pork rinds and or crackling in my car most of the time. Lasts forever regardless of the weather and is good in a pinch for me. I also love the Epic bars when I'm on the go.
  • canadjineh
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I have a bag of pork rinds and or crackling in my car most of the time. Lasts forever regardless of the weather and is good in a pinch for me. I also love the Epic bars when I'm on the go.

I dunno about them lasting forever, lol. I've tasted rancid pork rinds... it's put me off them permanently - the only way I can eat them now is to crush them up and add them to my ground beef (in place of the usual torn GF bread bits) to lighten the mix. BTW, I mean lighten in the sense of making the burger less dense.

@verybusybee here's a chart of carb grams in nuts - please be aware that this chart is speaking about 100g or about 3 handfuls of nuts. If you are actually eating that much in a serving.... there's a problem. ;) One handful is sufficient for a serving. So approx 1/3 of the number shown is your carb count for the snack. https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Baked cheese, protein bars, beef jerky (or you can bake salami or pepperoni in the oven at home until they are hard meat chips - lol).
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just curious how long you have been on HF. I found after the first 2-3 weeks I was good with 2 or even 1 meal per day. Snacking between meals was one of my issues before this woe so worked on not dong snacks which I now find a non-issue most of the time. If you are hungry between meals maybe you shld up yr fat intake during meals. FYI if I am peckish usually while I am making my meal a tbsp of almond butter hits the spot. Good luck.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    It's possible the OP feels similar to me, in that we call it a snack, but really it's a mini meal during our eating window, separate from my main large meal with my hubby at dinnertime. I usually have a 'snack/minimeal' at about 4 pm and again while on the job at midnight. Dinner is usually about 6:30/7pm.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    To be fair, "forever" is subjective. In my car "forever" is about 2 weeks.
  • verybusybee
    Options
    @canadjineh I agree. I am referring to more like mini meals. When I work a night which for me is 1 to 10 or 5 to 9 I snack more than eat a meal. I have picked up nuts (pecans), pork rinds, cheese, pepperoni and this aweso.e peanut butter made with coconut oil which is filling healthy and low carbs.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Moon cheese or pepperoni crisps?