What symptoms have you had and how are you dealing with them?

Options
Hot flash Hell. Had everything taken out four years ago, Dr's had me on everything under the sun that was not HRT.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Changes - made my Nature's Sunshine...it's a vitamin and herb pack...the directions say to take 2 per day, but I can take it 3x/week and it keeps my symptoms under control. I don't remember what all is in it, but I'm sure you can look it up online.

I have had exactly 2 hot flashes in my life and they were both miserable, so I don't know how people cope...I take the vitamins and no more hot flashes, so that keeps me sane.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    5 years of hot flashes and weight gain! That's why I'm here. I've tried Amberen, and pretty much every Estroven so far with no relief. My doctor doesn't believe in pills etc so I'm moving on to a new one. I sleep in the dead of winter (-5 degrees Fahrenheit) with the windows open and 3 fans blowing on me. I'm going to try the Natural Changes. Heck I'm up for anything. What I wouldn't give for 6 straight hours of sleep!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested:

https://naturessunshine.com/us/product/natural-changes-42-packets/4106/

Sometimes you can find them for sale on amazon cheaper than directly through NSP, luckily I have a seller right around the corner from me that I can get products though, but I don't think it's expensive to be a distributor, like $40/year to get the "member" price and I think the first year is actually free if you spend $40???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It seems that the main ingredient that would help with hot flashes is dong quai. I've used that before, purchased from a local asian market. There is some evidence that it does help.
    The product also has yam, which, though marketed as a natural progesterone can't be converted to it in the body.
    Looks like a nice set of vitamins and herbs!
    If you're not used to taking IRON, don't take it on an empty stomach.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used DHEA which seemed to help.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes, mood swing, and weight gain.... And some insomnia.... I started drinking lavender chamomile tea at night... Helps the insomnia but nothing else.... I'm trying to just suck it up but it's getting hard
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Got everything but the ovaries taken out last year. Everything was good until about 2 weeks ago when I started having hot flashes like crazy. I wake up at least twice a night and throw off the covers. Sweat eventually dries, I get cold, and cover back up. This is getting old!

I've lost 70 pounds since January 1st, have just started maintenance. Just wish I could control and maintain my wayward hormones! Ugh!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes and night sweats for about 6 years. Weight gain, but if I'm honest, I can't attribute it to menopause. Had to admit that when I finally started tracking/logging all of my food (and beverage) intake.
    Just finally got past that when I had a total hysterectomy, including ovaries, in June of this year. Round 2 of hot flashes and night sweats!!!!! Not as severe as the first time around but geez............
  • tmbg1
    Options
    I have a new symptom : stiffness!! My hot flashes have been less lately but now I feel like I can barely move!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hot flashes and night sweats for about 6 years. Weight gain, but if I'm honest, I can't attribute it to menopause. Had to admit that when I finally started tracking/logging all of my food (and beverage) intake.
    Just finally got past that when I had a total hysterectomy, including ovaries, in June of this year. Round 2 of hot flashes and night sweats!!!!! Not as severe as the first time around but geez............

Two rounds? Not fair!
  • JessicaChicago70
    JessicaChicago70 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with my libido and ability to have sex without pain. I tried Premarin but I gained ten pounds and it caused other side effects. Anybody else dealing with this?
  • tmbg1
    Options
    I have zero interest or drive in that department.... I also wonder if I have a thyroid issue
  • pierce304
    pierce304 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and my hot flashes began this summer. I was miserable!! My sleep was inconsistent bc I felt like my skin was on fire. After talking to my doctor and doing some research on my own, I began taking EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. I take Andrew Lessman vitamins from HSN, so I ordered mine from him. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the late afternoon and that made a HUGE difference. My hot flashes are virtually gone. I also take Andrew Lessman’s Women’s Wellness multivitamin. I highly recommend this!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am having trouble with my libido and ability to have sex without pain. I tried Premarin but I gained ten pounds and it caused other side effects. Anybody else dealing with this?

I had the pain issue briefly. It went away when I started bio-identical estrogen. The doc had said if it continued we could try vaginal estrogen. But so far I don't need it. Now, the libido is a different thing! It's about half way there.
  • JessicaChicago70
    Options

I had the pain issue briefly. It went away when I started bio-identical estrogen. The doc had said if it continued we could try vaginal estrogen. But so far I don't need it. Now, the libido is a different thing! It's about half way there.

Glad I'm not the only one! @Sabine_Stroehm
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT the only one. My poor husband... :wink:
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had weight gain, depression from said weight gain, not really hot flashes, just warm/hot all the time and as my husband likes to say, "who are you today" syndrome. I feel blessed that none of it is horrible except the weight. I am her to finally work on that. I am scared that I will fail but I am not giving up this time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It didn’t dawn on me for years that I might be menopausal, I was on the pill and got my period when I was supposed to. Many years into it, I realize what my mood swings, hot flashes and unrelenting appetite were all about.

My doctor took me off the regular pill and put me on the mini-pill about 30 days ago ands it’s been night and day. The anxiety is gone, my appetite is back to normal and I think I’m going to be able to save my marriage after years of being a complete b**itch.

Do yourself a favor and talk to your doctors and try different things until you find something that works.

I still don’t sleep well, but melatonin helps. I’m not constantly freezing anymore and drastic reduction in hot flashes.
  • Patches629
    Patches629 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes from hell. Taking Effexor to control them.
  • JessicaChicago70
    edited December 2017
    Options
    HI,
    I have some issues with weight which I'm still dealing with, but now I'm taking a low dose hormone called Estradiol which seems to be helping other side effects of menopause. The Estradiol is for vaginal dryness and lack of libido. It seems to be helping.
    Overall I feel okay. I just want my body to quit being so mushy. I exercise a lot and watch what I eat but the weight isn't coming off.