Erythritol friend or foe?

Options
I say this sugar substitute is a friend, but then I am starting to wonder if it isn't the metformin that is giving me stomach problems. Going to be logging when I eat erythritol the next few times + stomach issues and see what the pattern might be. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? I am going to be running this by my nutritionist next week and I have a feeling she isn't going to like it because it is 'fake'. I also read that some of the things she recommended like dates as alternative sweetners are really bad for pcos because they have a high glycemic index. So I think I might argue this one with her if she disagrees. All I know this far is it tastes good, easy to cook with and is helping me lose weight! Interested in other's thoughts and experiences with it.

Replies

• Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Update: turns out my stomach cannot tolerate the Erythitol. I thought I was having reactions to metformin, but I see the pattern of stomach issues after eating erythitol and other sugar alcohols now. Going to try Yacon syrup and Lacuma powder and just ordered from Amazon. I think my nutritionist will like these better because they aren't so processed and chemical filled. (From what I understand). Hope this makes my stomach issues stop!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've never had much Erythritol in quantity. There's a little in the packets of sweetener I use in my hot tea, which is rarely... I wonder what the effects are?

I know that some people react to different things. I bet it has to do with our gut bacteria. One friend cannot do splenda for anything - gained 20 pounds in a month, only change was splenda...

others can't do different ones. It's so weird.
  • Shortontime
    Shortontime Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use Xylitol occasionally. I don't bake, so the most I use is a teaspoon.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know this is a late posting but most sugar alcohols in a moderate quantity cause diarrhea. I have never experienced this, but see see the case of "sugar free gummy bears" as example.