4+ year post-op and gaining? need accountability partner?

Options
Hi,
Anyone out there 4+ years post-op and finding that they are regaining because old habits have started making their way back into your life. If you are new - don't let this post scare you. Surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. But over the past year I have gained so much weight back - why? not because the surgery didn't work - but because I stopped working it! I have slowly allowed myself to eat chips, drink sweet tea and I stopped working out. I feel the weight physically and mentally & it SUCKS!! I'm desperate and wondering if any other veterans that are would like to be accountability partners. I'm starting over right now!! Anyone want to join me and try to get back on track together?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've had to stop most of my exercise as I've slipped a disc and hiking was my main exercise with my son on my back, even walking across the room is leaving me in pain, I can't go back to being nearly immobile the way I was pre surgery
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone out there 4+ years post-op and finding that they are regaining because old habits have started making their way back into your life. If you are new - don't let this post scare you. Surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. But over the past year I have gained so much weight back - why? not because the surgery didn't work - but because I stopped working it! I have slowly allowed myself to eat chips, drink sweet tea and I stopped working out. I feel the weight physically and mentally & it SUCKS!! I'm desperate and wondering if any other veterans that are would like to be accountability partners. I'm starting over right now!! Anyone want to join me and try to get back on track together?

Yesssss, here I am!!!! I'll be four years post surgery in December, I lost 125# in 9 months. I gained five back over the next two years, no biggy. Then I had to be on steroids for four months and gained 10 more. Got discouraged and now up to a total 25# gained back. And I'm Back to late night snacking, ugh.

Janetr OKC

Yo can totally get back on track. You haven’t let it go too far.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • melissaglover5823
    melissaglover5823 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me! I fours post op! Lost 100 pounds gained 35 back been back on track 20 poundsto reach my goal!
  • sarimc01
    sarimc01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am almost 4 years out (VSG). Had some regain and wanted to lose 10 pounds prior to my knee surgery on 12/6 (Wednesday!!).

The BARIATRICEATING.com site and FB page has really helped me. I like their plans and recipes but don't use their products.

I have been following a combination of their Back On Track (BOT) and Bariatric Eating Easy (BEE) plan for about 20 days. I feel great and have lost the weight. It is about going back to the basics from the beginning of our weight loss journey. Just support, info, and in your face accountability if you want it.

Friend me if you want.
    Continued luck on your WLS journey.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sarimc01 wrote: »
    I am almost 4 years out (VSG). Had some regain and wanted to lose 10 pounds prior to my knee surgery on 12/6.

Good luck with your knee surgery!
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, bypass in December 2014 lost over 120 lbs and have regained about 40 back. I have tried to go back to basics of protein shake for breakfast and one for lunch with a sensible dinner. It was easier to stick to pre op. Stress has lead me to fall back into those bad eating habits. And what is so sad is that those bad eating habits, that for stupid reasons were my go to too relieve stress, have created more Stress. I have tried the support group from the Drs office but they tend to focus on those getting surgery or who have just gotten surgery. I feel guilty that I had the opportunity to have had the surgery lost the weight and now I am blowing it. Family and friends that know I had the surgery look at me and shake their heads, I know they are thinking that I have failed. I am sorry to see so many struggling, but also glad to hear that it just isn't me. A support group is needed for the long term post ops, so that we can succeed. What is the key to getting back on track, to having that feeling of success. I really am finding that it is harder now then before the surgery. I think prior to the surgery I know I needed to lose to reduce fat on my liver, and after surgery whatever hormone was shut off, made it easy to not want to eat and I felt so good about me losing the weight. I don't feel so good about me anymore.