MACROS

Options
rparkerslim
rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
What should my macros look like? I read one post that said my fat should be at 50% of my calories; is that true?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    At the very least, you will probably need that higher at first, until your body adapts to burning your stored fat. Keto eating is a good way to train your body to use its own fat.

To begin with, I think it is better to just keep carbs 20 gram or less, protein moderate, and fat to satiety. You can adjust these as you progress, based on your own results. Some can eat slightly higher carbs, others need more protein, you have to find what works for you.

Check the launchpad for this group for more details on macros etc. A good place to start is here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348406/faqs-and-general-lc-info?new=1

I personally started out on the Atkins 20 Foodie meal plan, it was very helpful to me. You might want to check that out, it is geared to those who cook there own foods most of the time. I did not use the bars nor the shakes, you can find plenty of good replacements for those. I don't do well with sugar alcohols, so after one of their bars, I found alternatives.
    https://files.atkins.com/17-07-Atkins-MealPlan-Foodie-20.pdf
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I keep my macros at 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein and 5% carbs. That is about 27grams of carbs a day but I weigh quite a bit. So far this is working for me. I am down about 10lbs in a week. I am still not sure I have hit ketosis yet based on the strips not changing and no keto flu but it is working so I am going with it. I plan to adjust as needed.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What should my macros look like? I read one post that said my fat should be at 50% of my calories; is that true?

Is ketosis your goal and if so why? Weight loss? Diabetes? Other medical issue? Or are you wanting to eat low carb and not necessarily keto?

I lost my excess weight via low carb. I ate keto for a year for a medical reason. I currently eat low carb. Higher carb perhaps than what might have my body in a constant state of therapeutic ketosis. Lower carb than what I ate for weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Generally it’s advisable to figure out how much protein you need at MINIMUM to maintain muscle then set carbs to whatever you want to limit them to then fat makes up the rest of however many calories you feel is right for your goals.
    The basic MINIMUM protein is 0.8g per pound of lean body mass.
    Search google for the Navy calculator to help estimate body fat.
    For example, I have about 100 pounds of lean mass (give or take a few) so I need AT LEAST 80 grams of protein a day. It’s ok if I eat more, which I generally do just based on satiety preferences.
    I don’t exercise. If I did, I’d probably calculate it at 1.0g per pound