Women in their 50's and weight

Options
Ladies over 50 - how have you found your weight loss to be on Keto? I've been on since September 1st and I've lost 14 lbs. I certainly don't feel like one of those people who has rapid weight loss on Keto and I feel like I have to really work for it.

What have your experiences been like? Do any of you have any tips or knowledge you can share that may help?

Replies

• mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started in October 2016 and lost 38 lbs by March 2017. I was pretty strict up until then. I was 2 lbs from goal. Off and on during the summer, gained some back. Back on as of last week.

I find if my husband does it with me, it is easier. I find that you have to be creative with the food or you will get bored. Also, limit alcohol. I like my wine, so it is a challenge.
  • Sandypants2017
    Sandypants2017 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So when you say you were pretty strict what does that look like? Was your weight loss steady or did you find you lost quickly initially and then it slowed right down?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My H and I began recording our weight loss in late March 2017, by August I had reached target weight and lost 35lbs. My H reached his target weight in early October, and has lost 70lbs.

I'm 61 he's 55.
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was able to lose weight much faster and now it seems like it takes much longer. I just try to focus on this as a life style change and slow and steady is fine. I do best when I stick to basics and don't include low carb desserts etc.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So when you say you were pretty strict what does that look like? Was your weight loss steady or did you find you lost quickly initially and then it slowed right down?

I stayed under the 20 carbs per day and also watched calories (1000-1200). Lost most in the first few months. It slowed after that, but I found if I ate more calories then lowered them, it would trigger a loss.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was 59-60 when I lost my excess weight (60+ pounds). I ate low carb, not keto. I lost 6 pounds my 1st week and averaged ~1.25 pounds per week for the next 52 weeks. No whooshes. No stalls. Consistent loss with combined moderate calorie deficit/moderate exercise. I didn't have to focus on electrolytes, special recipes, etc, etc.

I later trialed Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic for 52 weeks for reason other than weight management. What that experience taught me is macros matter for me for satiety and minimization of cravings. I now eat low carb, high fat. Macros are set to 15% carbs, 25% protein, 60% fat. That shakes out to ~50 carbs and 100 each of fat and protein. What I focus on is keeping carbs low and staying at or under my calories. Protein and fat fall where the fall. They balance out through the week.

I don't think much about my personal diet any more. I'll never be able to eat what and as much as I used to eat unless I want the body I previously had. I've accepted that and I'm aware it could change in a flash if I stop paying attention.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am turning 51 in a week. Up until now, LCHF always works for the weight loss, but I have had a hard time sticking with it for the long haul to maintain. I just restarted mid October, after putting some weight on the last year and am focusing on sustained Keto. Given that I have been having joint pains and some other minor irritants, I wanted to try it out for a longer period of time. My initial goal is 6 months. I am also keeping calories at a deficit, but not really low ~1500 (I'm 182lbs and 5'8").

I am confident the weight will come off slowly but surely. I would love to get to and maintain 150lbs.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and been keto for a year. CICO still matters and I logged consistently while I was losing. I am maintaining now and log when I feel the need to check myself. I know I will always have to do this. Carb creep is a thing! I don't vilify them but for ME they cause issues so I have to keep them in check.

I lost consistently but not rapidly. You don't want to lose fast but have a nice steady pace. If you are having issues or experience a stall cut from fat. ALWAYS hit protein goal. It's important.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Since you hit maintenance how many carbs do you have daily to stay at goal? I have lost weight before and gained a chunk back. Went from 310 to 170 to 250 and am now 220. Don’t want the scale to start climbing when I hit my goal. Thanks for input.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If asking me, I typically try not to go over 40 net. I prefer lower because I like the way I feel when in constant ketosis. Not for any other reasons. 40 net has me bouncing in and out. 30 and under has me pretty solid in ketosis and I enjoy that feeling. MOST of my carbs are from veggies. Days where I hit the higher end is when I didn't plan ahead for those berries or that 1/4 of an apple with PB on it lol
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I lost 11 kg over a year and a few months, see my avatar for the ups and downs. I ate roughly 1200-1300 cals during that time, less than 50 gr carbs, often skipping breakfast. That was 4 years ago, I am now 60. Have maintained on 1500-1800 cals per day, with still doing IF several days through the week. Not often in ketosis, but I am fat adapted.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have been liberal keto since March 2016. Lost 30 lbs in 2016 but only another 6 lbs this year as my activity level is less. Logging and activity are critical to my losing any more. However, I am thrilled that I can maintain. This is the first lifestyle change that has ever worked for me long term.

Planning and variety are very important as the others have said.