Chinese restaurants

Options
I'm going for lunch today with my co-workers and they've picked a Chinese restaurant. Does anyone know what I can eat? I'm worried about MSG - does anyone know anything about MSG on a Keto diet?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tough sledding here.... You can order stuff stir-fried with no sauce, though it may come in corn oil, and I'd necessary dunk it in the baptismal soup to purify it a bit.

Next time, you could order your food steamed and then breathe life into it with mustard, tamari (no wheat), olive oil, etc., from the handy Keto Rescue Kit you keep in your purse or car... :wink:
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I know the sauces are generally a bad idea, but I like chicken with broccoli, curry, egg foo young, egg drop soup with lots of salt added, or lettuce wraps. I haven't had the guts to try just steamed chicken with vegetables and add my own seasonings, but I suppose steamed with soy sauce could be yummy. Even when I stay on track (as in the above menu items), I typically retain water the next day, but I don't stress about it. As long as I avoid rice, wrappers, breading, sweet sauces, fortune cookies, and noodles, the water retention goes away quickly.

Edited to add: I also have not lost any weight in over a year, so take my 'advice' with a grain of salt...
  • Sandypants2017
    Sandypants2017 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I think I’m just going to enjoy the company and have some green tea
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    MSG (free glutamates) actually occur naturally in several foods which are typically used to increase the savoriness of any given dish (mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, potatoes, certain types of seafood, seaweed, kelp, soy, etc.). It's usually the man-made chemical version of MSG that sometimes causes people problems depending on how sensitive you/your body is to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    FYI
    MSG-I nduced Obesity. MSG is actually injected in to laboratory rats to induce obesity. There are many many scientific studies done using these MSG treated rats since rats are not naturally overweight. It also has been shown to increase appetite in male rats and to induce obesity in female rats and chickens.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1106764
  • Twinklestarr1981
    Twinklestarr1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stay away from MSG, natural flavoring, monosodium glutamate=all the same. On any health Journey Lchf or any type -msg is not a good thing. Chinese restaurants r the worst huh lol. I just get grilled chicken and some veggies, fried egg, no sauces and hot tea and iced water with lemon. At home when making Chinese -Braggs has a great soy sauce alternative=amazing!!! U can also use almond flour coconut flour etc and some curry pastes etc that are low carb and gmo free!
    y2uvkff3r14a.jpeg

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    At home when making Chinese -Braggs has a great soy sauce alternative=amazing!!!

I mean...it's still soy.

These are a soy-free option: http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    At home when making Chinese -Braggs has a great soy sauce alternative=amazing!!!

I mean...it's still soy.

Thx for the ref. How does it compare tastewise?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I usually order a cup of miso or egg drop soup and beef and broccoli, no sauce. Then add soy or garlic chile paste.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I mean...it's still soy.

Coconut aminos are a tad sweeter than soy sauce. I add a splash of fish sauce or plum wine vinegar to give it a bit more umami.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I usually get crispy duck and wrap it in salad leaves with a few pieces of salad onions and cucumber. For a treat a sprinkling of sauce. My local is happy to do the swap for me for panacea to salad leaves.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We have ordered Happy Family with Egg Drop Soup or Hot and Sour. No rice, noodles or fortune cookies. The owners are kind enough to give us extra soup. My 2 hour sugar levels have been satisfactorily low (somewhere around 110 or less). Chicken and broccoli are also good for us.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Does the restaurant have the menu online? Many do these days and state if they use MSG or the ones I have checked out do. The steamed dishes should not be a problem. You could have some chicken based soup like mentioned above. It is hard to not eat anything when their are piles of food in front of you, unless you have nerves of steel ;)

Unless you have had issues with MSG in the past, I wouldn't worry about it. As someone mentioned it is naturally occurring in some food items anyway. If they have lettuce wrapped dishes you could have one of those.

Oh and here is a tip up your magnesium after eating out anywhere. I found an additional 100 mgs after eating out to be very helpful with dropping any water weight gain after eating out at any type restaurant, not just Chinese.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Does the restaurant have the menu online? Many do these days and state if they use MSG or the ones I have checked out do. The steamed dishes should not be a problem. You could have some chicken based soup like mentioned above. It is hard to not eat anything when their are piles of food in front of you, unless you have nerves of steel ;)

Unless you have had issues with MSG in the past, I wouldn't worry about it. As someone mentioned it is naturally occurring in some food items anyway. If they have lettuce wrapped dishes you could have one of those.

Oh and here is a tip up your magnesium after eating out anywhere. I found an additional 100 mgs after eating out to be very helpful with dropping any water weight gain after eating out at any type restaurant, not just Chinese.

@retirehappy - I wonder if that is because carbs require more magnesium to process them (along with water, hence water retention)...or if there is another mechanism...

Edited to add: Fantastic tip, btw. I've not tried this one...
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The Chinese restaurant I order from advertises no MSG. Not sure how true it is but when I do order from them, I usually order vegetable egg foo young, no sauce or rice. To me, it's the Chinese version of an omelet with veggies.
  • Shantabulous84
    Shantabulous84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Something I find helpful when eating out, particularly Chinese, is taking a little activated charcoal. I get bloaty and gassy super easily, and this seems to help alleviate.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I mean...it's still soy.

Thank you for the ref. also....How does it compare taste wise?